Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i,d show you some pictures of my diy w8 light , i,m going to go for the anni headliner, and as vw dont make the w8 light in black, i,m afraid its going to be sprayed , by me!, any way i,ve split the unit apart and have sprayed the cover and the 3 switches in a matt black, i must say they look good in black!!!!, but the problem is that the black spray has covered the etchings on the switches, i,ve 2 options, either use a sharp needle and a magnifiying glass to scratch all the spray out of the etchings, or get small adhesive circles and cover the etchings up and then spray and remove the adhesive circles which will then leave me with perfect illuminated switches , all be it with a bit of grey where the round sticker was, i,ll have to work out what to do, my first attemp at scratching the etching out, dosnt look too good, but then again it will be aboce you so you may not see the imperfections!!!!, i,ll post pictures of my first switch later on tonight!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

worth it or not?, by the way how much is another w8 light, as i need somemore switches[:eek:)][V]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Zak, Foxy did a W8 light in black for someone on the forum, why not speak to Jon (Foxy)for any tips.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried a magnifying glass and scalpel, but the sharp blade just cuts a new line by itself, results are not looking good at the moment, i,ll take the black piant off the switches tomorrow, and try plan `b` which is to spray the switches with adhesive stickers covering the etching, lets see what happens![:(][:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
can u not get a fine paintbrush and just colour in the etchings in some nice colour like red? Need a steady hand and some patience though!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i agree with aRd by that you should of used thinner and sprayed lighter coats, but if you used a spray can then you cant exactly use thinner. but it looks not bad from what i can see mate.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Zak, instead of concentrating on the small details on your ride, get all the big stuff sitting on your garage onto your ride.[;)] lol![:p]

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote: posted by cage on 15/04/2005 22:32:58

Zak, instead of concentrating on the small details on your ride, get all the big stuff sitting on your garage onto your ride.[;)] lol![:p]

[B)][B)][:(][:(][:eek:)] summers not far!!!!, just won some recaro,s finally!

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: posted by aRd on 15/04/2005 20:03:36

you should have mixed the paint with thinners and spayed light coats on the switches. Just an idea

Good idea, but i cant mix thinners in a spray can, i was told that one way of masking the etching is to use white spirit in a syring, the type that you use to inject legal drugs into your bloodstream, and then carefully allow half a drop or as little as you can of the white spirit out of the syring into the etching,s then you spray the switch and leave the spray to dry which takes 30-40 minutes, then you can use a tissue to lightly dab the switch , which will then pick up the white spirit and hopefully leave you with a clean see through etch, whos got a syring and needle i can borrow?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote: posted by aRd on 15/04/2005 19:26:49

Zak, Foxy did a W8 light in black for someone on the forum, why not speak to Jon (Foxy)for any tips.

Indeed he did, more info in this thread:

www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8307

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can you not just get the black interior light from the TT to fit? Its still illuminated and looks like its the same size.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mmm, any pictures of what it looks like, as far as i can see i may have to stick with grey switches, as trying to keep the etching free of paint is proving very very hard!.ive tried something else today, i,m waiting for the paint to dry and then i,ll see.

zak

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Zak spray can paint, is paint, you need to spray a bit in a container and then mix thinners. Brush it on lightly, letting each coat dry.

try that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Many moons ago my youth was mis-spent building plastic scale models and as I recall you could buy a purple masking solution (maskol????) similar to PVA glue which was used as a liquid mask which you just brushed on. Once the paint was dry you simply peeled off the mask. It's a long time ago but it might be worth a visit to your local model shop.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks!, will go to my local model shop today `ripspeed` i think?

zak

1 - 19 of 19 Posts