Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been racking my brain but cannot remember the company who are able to remap the engine, but you still have the full VW warranty. I know that when the thread was around about Superchips, this company was also mentioned, based near Coventry I think. I believe Foxy was speaking to them about a group discount.

Can any remind me who they were please?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've been told that officially VW do not support any remappers, nor do
they provide a warranty on a remap, and that any remappers claiming to
be VW-official are hokum.

Unofficially, for certain places at least, it works on a
don't-ask-don't-tell model, where VW will still do warranty work
providing your ECU hasn't been opened etc.

Superchips offer a warranty in case the engine dies and it's the direct
fault of the remap, and they're used by VW Racing UK which is why I've
decided to have my remap done by them. Also heard a lot of positive
things about them.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Russel's quite right - Danny has done a number of cars in the past - IIRC he did Steve Bagnall's 'management' car(amongst others) when he was running VW Motorsport (Alister McRae in the Mk4)

·
Registered
251 Posts
no tuner is supported by VW, there was a rumour that Oettenger had a deal with VW and your warranty would not be affected, this is totaly wrong as the other guys here have stated. I called RSD (ottenger supplier) 6 months back and they told me that VW are happy about them tuning cars and it does not cause a problem. I called them a month ago and they now told me that VW does not cover any sort of tuning and asked which dealer i was using as some dealers are happier about servicing tuned cars than others. I think some dealers chip new cars and cover any problems themsleves, CityGate VW have a superchip on offer, however if you call VW they will say they should not be selling that and it will invalidate parts of your warranty. Bottom line is that no make of chip from any supplier has support, i.e. none, from VW. Your best bet is to find a VW dealer, like Citygate and get it done through them, if you have any problems they will sort it, however you would have to take any warranty work to them as another VW dealer would prob not work on it and infrom VW.

Saying that, the chances of having problems with a superchip would be slim, there work always seems to be of a high standard and reasonibly priced, i.e. half the price of Ottenger

·
Registered
453 Posts
Half the Price of Oettinger, that would make it around ?250??? In the group buy section i am sure with the discount it comes to ?450

·
Registered
199 Posts
no tuner is supported by VW, there was a rumour that Oettenger had a deal with VW and your warranty would not be affected, this is totaly wrong as the other guys here have stated. I called RSD (ottenger supplier) 6 months back and they told me that VW are happy about them tuning cars and it does not cause a problem. I called them a month ago and they now told me that VW does not cover any sort of tuning and asked which dealer i was using as some dealers are happier about servicing tuned cars than others. I think some dealers chip new cars and cover any problems themsleves, CityGate VW have a superchip on offer, however if you call VW they will say they should not be selling that and it will invalidate parts of your warranty. Bottom line is that no make of chip from any supplier has support, i.e. none, from VW. Your best bet is to find a VW dealer, like Citygate and get it done through them, if you have any problems they will sort it, however you would have to take any warranty work to them as another VW dealer would prob not work on it and infrom VW.

Saying that, the chances of having problems with a superchip would be slim, there work always seems to be of a high standard and reasonibly priced, i.e. half the price of Ottenger
i had a problem with a superchip on my last car . never having one again . im going for revo . never heard a bad thing about them

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
I worked in a dealership for Skoda.

Just before I left I went on a Warranty Course to reeducate myself.

I was told there that under NO circumstances was ANY remap or chip ok`d in warranty.

Just because a dealer will remap the car for you this doesn`t mean that VAG agree with them.

If it is a switchable map this would make it VERY hard for the dealership to track down.

So it would be better going for that.

We have seen remaps come and go and there can be a big difference in what you can achieve.

We have also had to put a few remaps right from other companies.

So be carefull with what you go for.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Come on Sarah give us a few stories then! [:D]

I had an Oettinger chip on my old Ibiza Cupra...and the chip gave me no problems whatsoever in 3 years of motoring.

I am also good friends with Danny/Trish at RSD.

But I think I'll be leaving the Golf alone this time

·
Registered
471 Posts
i had a problem with a superchip on my last car . never having one
again . im going for revo . never heard a bad thing about them
What problem?! I've just booked my car with superchips... and I'm still
really nervous about it! What happened to you if you don't mind me
asking?

·
Registered
199 Posts
car kept on over boosting and caused the car to go into limp mode all the time . very dangerous when trying to overtake . got my money back in the end and went to amd and had no problems . going for revo on this car as i like the idea of turning it off . i was once told that superchips are jack of all and master of none . i.e they will chip anything . i like the idea of vag specilist's

p.s who you trying to fool :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Please read this and accept it as defacto ? it?s not hyperbole or speculation?.as you guys may or may not be aware ? RSD do not associate themselves with any online forum nor can they reply directly to praise, or speculation over any matter ? this being due to their trading contractual obligations with VAG UK.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The following information I have gleaned for myself from key sources??..IYKWIM<o:p></o:p>

* NO tuner is approved-of by Volkswagen (UK) Ltd<o:p></o:p>

* RSD offers a warranty matched upto 3 years and has done since 1999 and this is not using the warranty by Volkswagen Group (UK) Ltd

* The dealers that RSD work with use RSD?s warranty as well (not just on ECU work)

* ANY remap will affect your VW warranty if challenged - this is where the RSD warranty comes in.

* RSD's Warranty is their own and NOTHING to do with VW's warranty whatsoever !

* Citygate VW's problem was that they purported the Superchips Remap was backed by VW - this was not the case - nothing to do with Superchips at all - the dealer was at fault. Superchips do, in fact, provide a 1 year warranty to cover any failures arising from their work. This is provided by a third party insurer.

* In both RSD and Superchip's cases, both I and everyone else I've spoken to, have found their customer service to have been the primary company focus.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Please read this and accept it as defacto ? it?s not hyperbole or speculation?.as you guys may or may not be aware ? RSD do not associate themselves with any online forum nor can they reply directly to praise, or speculation over any matter ? this being due to their trading contractual obligations with VAG UK.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The following information I have gleaned for myself from key sources??..IYKWIM<o:p></o:p>

* NO tuner is approved-of by Volkswagen (UK) Ltd<o:p></o:p>

* RSD offers a warranty matched upto 3 years and has done since 1999 and this is not using the warranty by Volkswagen Group (UK) Ltd

* The dealers that RSD work with use RSD?s warranty as well (not just on ECU work)

* ANY remap will affect your VW warranty if challenged - this is where the RSD warranty comes in.

* RSD's Warranty is their own and NOTHING to do with VW's warranty whatsoever !

* Citygate VW's problem was that they purported the Superchips Remap was backed by VW - this was not the case - nothing to do with Superchips at all - the dealer was at fault. Superchips do, in fact, provide a 1 year warranty to cover any failures arising from their work. This is provided by a third party insurer.

* In both RSD and Superchip's cases, both I and everyone else I've spoken to, have found their customer service to have been the primary company focus.
Hi

As you said a remap if challenged will invalidat the warranty.

Now if a dealer wants to be funny and invalide the warranty on an Air Mass Meter then they could try to put the blame on the remap.

My question is would you warrant the Air Mass Meter?

Sarah

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hi

As you said a remap if challenged will invalidat the warranty.

Now if a dealer wants to be funny and invalide the warranty on an Air Mass Meter then they could try to put the blame on the remap.

My question is would you warrant the Air Mass Meter?

Sarah
Be interesting to see a dealer justify how an air flow measuring device is damaged by changing the map tables in the ECU. Fair enough if it drops a valve due to fueling or over works the Turbo.

RSD get my vote too for the safer TUV tested tuning route, I had an Oettinger chip on mine for 3 years. Switched to Revo though for a bit more go [:D]. Danny fitted my K03S under their warranty scheme as the original K03 had a problem. Didn't cost me a penny and he stuck the s version on as he had a few in the cuboard.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
I used to do warranty.

If a "chip" is fitted you can see that the ecu has been opened and warranty is then invalid on the whole of the can bus system.

IE anything electrical.

Remaps are slightly different but if it has been noted on the main computer then all electrical systems are again invalideated.

That is why it is an idea to have the switchability

Sarah

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Even with switchability I think VW UK are now arming their mechanics with the necessary tools to see if a car has been fettled in the ECU department, regardless of if its switched on or not at service.

One of the first points the sales dude asked me was "do you intend to chip the car as we've just had a bulletin saying it will invalidate the warranty"

Fair enough really...cos I can see from their side of things.

That's why if you do go for a chip..go for one that is of quality.

At the end of the day...the most bhp and most boost or torque may not necessarily be the most reliable.

And sometimes..you do get what you pay for!

PS: Still intrigued to hear what stories you have tho Sarah.... [;)]

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Even with switchability I think VW UK are now arming their mechanics with the necessary tools to see if a car has been fettled in the ECU department, regardless of if its switched on or not at service.

One of the first points the sales dude asked me was "do you intend to chip the car as we've just had a bulletin saying it will invalidate the warranty"

Fair enough really...cos I can see from their side of things.

That's why if you do go for a chip..go for one that is of quality.

At the end of the day...the most bhp and most boost or torque may not necessarily be the most reliable.

And sometimes..you do get what you pay for!

PS: Still intrigued to hear what stories you have tho Sarah.... [;)]
Hi

It would not be fair of me to go on here and name some of the problems we have seen in the past.

Not in to name and shame.

But with regards the machinery that VAG are coming up with.

The 5051 is the computer that has been in circulation for a number of years now.Not really there to detect remaps.

So far there has not really been any problems in which the remaps have had been detected.

I know that if excessive boosting then could possibly be detected.But only odd ones.

The new one I do belive is the upgrade to the little hand held one.

I would say it would be a VERY clever person that could come up with a machine to detect remaps as the majority of remaps now can be returned to standard form for warranty work.

Sarah

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I would say it would be a VERY clever person that could come up with a machine to detect remaps as the majority of remaps now can be returned to standard form for warranty work.
There are some very clever people working on the machines and ECU's too. Tuning has become so popular know that I expect every manufacturer has the ability to check for remaps already, I also expect that as a matter of course any defect that could be attributed to a remap will have the Dealer doing a bit check to see if the ECU code has been altered. It would not take long to do, it could be set to go automatically when the car is connected up, and could save the Manufacturer a lot of money in 'false' claims.

If remaps weer completely undetectable even when switched then all remapers would offer a full warranty for any item not covered by the Manufacturers warranty as they the remappers would never have to pay out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts