Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im new to the vw diesel scene and was after some reccommendations and opinions as to my plans with my new car ive just purchased.

I have just purchased a mk4 golf se tdi 90 bhp model and was looking to up the power a little to around 115-125 bhp.

From a little research ive done i was planning to purchase a tuning box for the engine to up the power a little and a pipercross induction kit. Im not after silly power just a little more grunt as i have purchased the car for economy.

What sort of increase am i likely to see and is there any other mods i should consider? Few people have suggested injectors etc from the 110 model as essentially its a very similar engine. What would be the cheapest, most reliable way to my desired power gain?

any info,help gladly listen to and taken on board,

And please no slating for my lack of knowledge, im new to the forum and know very little about diesel tuning and best ways of gaining power with them. Ive come from a background of petrol fiestas and although improving the power on them is essentially a sililar ball game i understand the workings of a petrol engine alot more, the diesel knowledge is to come.

thanks in advance and im very impressed with your site!

andy

·
Registered
881 Posts
If you want just power gains don't waste your money on an induction kit as they wont increase your power hardly at all (Maybe 5bhp at a push) invest in a re-map, that will easily get you the power you want & as its a diesel you shouldnt loose too much of your MPG.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but is remapping the cheapest way to the power im after as im not after groundbreaking figures, at least for the next year or two with this car

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Hi again Andy,

The cheapest way to get the most bang per buck on a diesel is probably the tuning box route.

Remaps are generally better if you can afford them as they are set up individually for your car but are around twice the price of a tuning box which will do nearly the same job but is a generic tune for all 90 / 110tdi's

The tuning box also has the advantage that it can be taken off again and sold separately if you sell the car

·
Registered
5,761 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hoe much bhp woudl i have spending a total 200 ish quid on tuning box and induction kit and how much woudl a remap give me? just after value for money here as im not out to get masses of power?

also whats a decent company to get a tuning box from,

been looking into one from tdi-tuning.co.uk

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
"On this remap in respect to the cars specification you will be looking at a BHP gain of around 25 and a torque gain of around 50ft/lbs."

Currently we are offering a GB on remaps so you could get a further 10% off the price!

We also do a full refund if your not happy with the map and put the car back to stock!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I have the same car as you and I've also had a tuning box and a remap and I can honestly say the re-map is by far the best. With the tuning box the car was a lot faster, but there was always a ton of smoke being kicked out the back and my idle wasnt that good. With the remap I have had from chipped up (for £250) the car is faster still, and it responds faster and the power delivery is smoother than with my tuning box. I would have to definately say go for a remap and I can't recommend chipped-uk enough, they were very good - read my other post here

At the end of the day though, the choice is yours!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what sort of power do you reckon is achievable on a 200 odd pound remap?

youve kinda put me off a tuning box, im not rushing into anything, going to sort some alloys first, any ideas wheres best to get some from, im after rs4 with vw centres in 17 inch running 225/45/17 tyres as that will retain exact rolling dia of the wheels currently on the car

·
Registered
115 Posts
ahha had many problems with this myself......

a)induction kits-crap, they are ok at first but then mess up the MAF(i think)sensor so wont run right........

b)exhaust on mine im not sure makes a blid bit of difference-it came on it-as stated above I have a superchip on it but the overfuelling was horrendous and as I have a sillypipe on the back it COVERED the back of the car every 3/4 days without booting it-when u did it was like summa off of wacky races see below...........

c)remap didnt run well at low revs so changed the injectors ad the damn thing goes like a dream-far less stuttering+more all the way through power wise(note this did not help the smoke situation at all)The smoke im assuming was because the turbo is not large enough -it only hppened after a certain rpm really+although pick up in mine is good due to small turbo the top end is poor....Dies off really quick

I would personally just run a tning box-driven remaped one and couldnt notice any difference(srry guys and gals) Im sure it is much better and I especially probably should do given the injectors also but as you cant just hurl ona bigger turbo I got disillusioned!!!!Chipping apparantly runs it around 115 bhp

·
Registered
154 Posts
right first of all stay away from tuning boxes..........they are dire. They seem ok at the time but once you move to a re-map you will wonder why
u ever bothered.
If I were you (and I was in the exact same boat 2 years ago) I would buy some pp520's from www.kermatdi.com should cos around the £150 mark maybe a tad more delivered. There are cheaper nozzles out there, I have had them and they will most likely make your car smoke like a train (seriously I had to wash the back of mine EVERY day or it would be completely black.)
The nozzles alone should get you to around 110-115 bhp, then if you like you could save up for a proper re-map to make the most out of the nozzles at a later date. This should get you to anywhere between 130-145 bhp maybe more depending on the quality of the re-map.

Learn from my mistakes.....dont cheap out for the sake of £100 or so it WILL cost you more in the long run!

Oh and forget the induction kit idea....they do nothing apart from make a cool noise.......which is fine but if you are after performance then its a waste of money.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
You probably won't get a remap for £200, £250 was the cheapest I've seen. I would still remap over a box anyday - owning your own car with a tuning box, then your own car with a remap easily shows the difference - and it's big.

I'm debating this injectors thing, but I'm worried about killing the car - have those kermatdi ones ok Funkymofo? What's the smoking like - any probs on an MOT? I think I'll have to budget for a new uprathed clutch too as my 90 is already putting out 128-133bhp and my standard clutch is sometimes stiff. So the nozzles I think would send it over the edge.

·
Registered
658 Posts
120hp from this engine is basic tuning.

We have a deal at the moment for remapping using the very latest live emulation and the midrange will be simply stunning.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
120hp from this engine is basic tuning.

We have a deal at the moment for remapping using the very latest live emulation and the midrange will be simply stunning.
I can vouch for that!

Jayson - what do you think about one of your remaps with new nozzles? Is it possible, would you so it, and what bhp are you looking at with a TDI 90?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sod it-just buy a 135/150 engine............I dont see how even with the injectors changed your going to get massive improvements as my turbo runs out of puff-completely out of puff well before the redline. But then again I'm not trying to sell anything on here.........

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Sod it-just buy a 135/150 engine............I dont see how even with the injectors changed your going to get massive improvements as my turbo runs out of puff-completely out of puff well before the redline. But then again I'm not trying to sell anything on here.........
No such thing as a 135 engine on a MkIV (did you mean 130?). Plus, you can't just put a pd engine into a non-pd. Mine runs out of puff at 4000-4100, but I'd never take it past that anyway.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yes indeedy that was a typo error on my part i meant 130. I was being only semi serious witht the engine conversion as would require the original lump/box and everything else drivetrain related I assume.

My only point was he wanted around 120 bhp which can be achieved as cheaply as I'd imagine possible with a tuning box rather than a re-map which I agree is better especially with other mods but with the requirements given I'd have said the chip would be perfectly suitable.

Im not in my car to check obviously but I'm pretty sure mine runs out prior to that even- It hardly ever gets near that it must be said but with all the talk of tuning this/modifying that I assumed it was to achieve some power + therefore require some sportier driving.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Well now with several views on tuning methods, advantages, disadvantages, side effects etc I hope we have answered the original question more than thoroughly [;)]

Really what it comes to with tuning is how much money and time you are willing to spend on it. There's no doubting that if you have the money, a remap will give better tuning results than a tuning box (and i'm not going to argue that) but realistically its going to cost you twice as much and will offer you little or possibly no return when you come to sell the car (depending on who buys it!) The benefit of the tuning box is it can be removed from the car, putting it back to standard, and then the box can be sold on for a few £££.

With the tuning boxes, I am not out to sell a product for profit. I worked to get a good relationship with the manufacturer to be able to get hold of these for you guys at cost price (well below rrp) and am not promoting them to make money out of you, just to enable you to get a great product at a great price and get us all a good deal. Hence why I run them as group buys too, to get an even bigger discount on them from ordering in bulk. The savings are always passed on to you.

Really its all down to your budget at the end of the day and whether you are after some extra power or a full remap. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
154 Posts
because it wont fit......the 90's still use a wastegate type turbo as opposed to the more power models all using vnt's. Trust me - I had a pd150 turbo to do the same thing.

Just try tdiclub.com the yanks have modded the hell out of the 90 engine, some of them running 250bhp + and doing 14 second quarter miles.Just remember that they did get the vnt turbo on their cars so ignore any talk of using bigger ones.

The kerma nozzles are great! absolutely zero smoke with standard software, and if it smokes really badly after a chip then its obviously bad programming.
I ran a 16.7 1/4 mile once which means I was roughly around the 145/150bhp mark (according to power/weight ratio theory) and I have never had any problems with the clutch, but some people do report having clutch slip after just nozzles and a re-map.

and tilly its not your turbo that runs out of puff its the fuel pump being unable to deliver the required amount of fuel at those rpm's. Doesnt matter about having to change gear at 4k rpm, diesels are geared differently so you make up the ground at higher speeds.
Ever tried doing a 60-90 run in 4th gear petrol vs diesel? ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts