Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering the other day and decided that my car is at the stage where i'd be completely gutted and set back a long way if it was ever stolen and I'm sure you all feel the same.
I'm not too bother about sound systems and couldn't care less if some one broke in and took a stereo as I would be relieved that the whole car hadn't disappeared. So I want to know what is the best security system for my Bora. As I said, I would like it to completely disable the car from being moved and preferebably from getting the doors open, even if someone did break into it through a window or something.
Suggestions and advice would be great.
Thanks
Baz

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Get your car insured thru Greenlight if you can as they offer like for like replacements.

Maybe consider a tracker, help keep tabs on your beloved motor.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd rather that my car didn't actually go anywhere to need a tracker.
Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm trying to keep the engine mods away from the TDI because I have a VR6 arriving tomorrow to use as a track car. Anyway, back to security. I'll check out the Clifford alarms.
Any other suggestions.....prices would be good as well.
Baz

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well mines now fitted wth a Clifford G5 Intelliguard and its superb [:D]

All I will say is that it does what it says on the box and more [;)]

·
Super Moderator
50,211 Posts
It's a sad fact of life that if you have something they want,they'll take it no matter what you do.No alarm or Tracker in the world can stop them pushing it into the back of a refrigerated lorry,no one will hear the siren going off,and the signal from Tracker will be blocked by the metal around the back of the lorry.

I fit car alarms for a living,and someone with my knowledge can get past any aftermarket security system as if it wasn't there in a very short time.The number of times I get called out to attend a car that has "A very expensive alarm system that has been fitted by one of the best installers in the country" (they're all like that strangely enough) because the owner has lost the keys with his remote,I can normally get the car running within five minutes WITHOUT BREAKING ANYTHING.

For my own peace of mind,I have Fitted a Sigma 2-1 upgrade to my Golf,this is like a full Thatcham Cat.1,but without the immobilisor.I have the choice of any car alarm on the market,and I trust Sigma above all others.I don't get it free, I still have to pay for it,but from my past experiences with Clifford,I wouldn't have one on my car if it was given to me.

I know these comments will be opening a big can of worms,but is a known fact that a lot of potential car thieves do their "apprenticeship" doing the exact same job that I do for a year or so,but unlike me they probably go on to get VERY rich in a short space of time.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some great info there m8.

The reason I hadn't ran out and bought a Clifford alarm before was because I thought they were far too common which seems like a strange reason to not want one but the simple fact is that someone could work out how to get past the most common alarms. Tell me more about this Sigma stuff and why don't you have an immobiliser? I thought about a system a while ago which I might look into as it could be quite effective but i'd like to know more about the sigma system and what it does and what it can prevent.

I had also considered a racing battery which I could lift out or cutout keyswitch wired to the loom.

Baz

·
Registered
857 Posts
have you thought about where the cars parked? ie those little poles at the end of the drive, or snap off steering wheel? both effictive.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
On my past 2 cars (vauxhalls) I have had a Mul-T-Lock fitted. Good visual deterrent, and very effective so im told. Do not confuse with the Defend Lock which is very similar in appearance and price but not supposed to be anywhere near as effective.

I was going to get one on my Golf but never got round to it. If i was considering something I think it would be still quite high up on the list.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't bother with any steering wheel lock unless it's a Disc-Lock (full wheel covered).

Available in Silver/Yellow/Chrome. Around ?85. Thatcham approved.

They're regarded as the best, and i've had one for years. Again, not gonna stop someone who really wants your car, but it will slow them down, and they have to be in full view when tampering with it (unless you have tinted windows). Also prevents theft of driver's airbag, and stop the wheel being cut.

Also try a big f*ck off dog - that'll scare em!!!

·
Super Moderator
50,211 Posts
ALL car alarms work around the same basic principle,and are all fitted in the same way,using the same wires.It doesn't matter what make it is,it can be bypassed in the same way.The practicalities of working for someone else in a busy shop mean you only get a set time to fit any alarm to any car,it doesn't matter if it's a Thatcham Cat.1,or the most basic compact alarm,they normally take me about four hours to fit one,it's not the actual wiring that takes the time,but taking everything apart,running the boot wire,fitting the siren,fitting the LED,fitting the ultrasonics etc,etc.There are only a limited number of places you can do the immobilisor cuts,normally starter and ignition or fuel pump.You are supposed to cut at least 8 inches of wire out when you cut it to immobilise the item it feeds,sometimes you only have a few inches of wire accessable to do all your cuts,modern cars are so pushed for space behind the dashboard that this is quite often the only place you can get to them.

When I sell an alarm,I tell the customer that if the vehicle already has a transponder in the key that they don't actually need another one,but if they want the extra peace of mind that comes with it,I will still fit a full Cat.1 with two point immobilisor.I chose my Sigma S34 because it's diagnostics are second to none (as are all Sigmas),it gives me good control over the comfort features in my car (window closer etc),I can program it to give me a double unlock pulse without having access to VAG-COM,I can use a dual zone microwave sensor with it(I know that's not unique),and also I have a tilt sensor in case someone tries to jack my car up to steal my wheels (again not unique).What is unique though is the keypad over-ride you can use to disarm it if the remote gets lost etc,but it can also be used to arm it as well without the remote.I believe the transponder immobilisor in my car to be more secure than anything I can fit myself,unless anyone knows otherwise?

The only problem I have with the installation is that as the car (a 98 GTi) already has the OEM alarm,which was equivalent to Cat.1 a few years back,I can arm the Sigma which will also arm the OEM alarm at the same time,but because the OEM alarm can only be disarmed either by the OEM remote,or by putting the key in the igntion and turning it on,I have to disarm the Sigma and then use the original remote to disarm the Veedub alarm IN THAT ORDER,although I would imagine that VAG-COM can be used to program unlocking the drivers door to be a valid command to disarm the factory alarm.This is beacuse the wires I use to trigger the central locking are the ones in the drivers door that come from the lock mechanism,I spent several nights after work trying to get around this,but it looks like I'm stuck with it.

I found this online PDF brochure about Sigma alarms,it's almost accurate except that the info about the S32 and S34 have the wrong one with remotes,it should be the S34 and not the S32,although the photos are correct.

http://www.afs-securitysystems.com/files/sigma.pdf

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might consider one of them for the mean time and yes our dog does bark if anyone is around but i sleep like a log.

The other thing is that me and the old chap have is a pair of rifles kept nice and close at hand beside 2 baseball bats. We have a bloke nearby with a slight grudge so we wouldn't put vandalism past him, but it's nothing being shot a couple of times couldn't sort out - Good old Tony Martin, we're behind you m8.

anyway..... enough of my rant.

Baz

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well mines now fitted wth a Clifford G5 Intelliguard and its superb [:D]

All I will say is that it does what it says on the box and more [;)]
Yep. Highly recommended. Got a Clifford with all the trimings on mine. The proximity "warn away" zone is pretty useful too. First day I had it fitted though, had a slightly embrarassing situation after not remembering to put in the Blackjax code and being stranded for a couple of minutes almost on a roundabout with the siren going off. [:$]

·
Registered
221 Posts
i can imagine! im looking to put on a clifford (follow fashion!)! im putting in the kenwood ddx double din, and unfortunately theres no security at all on it, so ill definately be needing a beefy alarm! i dont fancy letting my pitbull sleep in my car on my leathers!! Plus i want auto start (heat the seats in winter, air con in summer)! any advice on which one to get? not looking to spend extortionatly, but would like something mediocre

·
Super Moderator
50,211 Posts
The only way to get remote start to work RELIABLY is to take the chip out of the key and glue it to the aerial around the ignition key barrel,as the car can't be made to start without an authorised key in the ignition.If this is done,your car can now be hot wired in a matter of seconds,it'll be just like owning a Mk.2 Golf all over again.There are devices that mean you have to put your spare key in a box that is hidden behind the dash,and it only transmits the code from the chip in the key to a loop aerial around the ignition barrel when you need to remote start,but these are at best UNRELIABLE.

Trust me on this one,if you value the security of your car,PLEASE don't go down this route.You've lived for all these years without it,is it really that important?

·
Registered
829 Posts
This may sound really stupid, but what are the short comings of the
standard VW alarm? Do after market alarms not just make more
noise etc?

Also, am I right in thinking that if a window is smashed the door
remains deadlocked so any would be thief would have to climb in through
the window? As a visual deterent I use a steering wheel lock
thing if I'm parked in what looks like a dodgy area but I'm resigned to
the fact that if someone really wants to take my car, they're
going to have it away no matter how many alarms are fitted save
actually bolting it to the ground!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The main short comings are simply, every Golf MKIV standard alarm is wired the same way, which means once a gang locate the weakspot of the system, every MKIV in the country is vunerable.

The factory alarm and immobiliser usually getted sussed out by gangs the first week the car is released on sale., they'll either get one on loan from a hire company, or simply nick one, then strip it to work out where the wires are.

Every car in the world is the same. Hence you don't get much (if any) discount on a factory fitted Cat 1 alarm system by the insurance company.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts