Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have had mine for 7 months now. It's a great piece of kit. I know some of the other aftermarket are better for map quality etc but I like the OEM look of it. It's never let me down yet.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've seen loads of these on eBay coming from Lithuania, but can't bring myself to give a Lithuanian my money - just like I don't trust chinese or Irish auctions.
Has anyone actually ordered one of these things from Lithuania? Do they show up?
Similar issue with all the polish bodykit auctions...
Also what happens with the MFD - I've seen brochures with the directions being shown in the clock unit - turn left etc - but mine's a half-height - was this a factory option only? Will the MFD work without the clock unit with the navi stuff built in?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Got my MFD version D from Lithuania, with no problems at all. The seller was very helpful. I think some other members have also taken this route. I have full FIS and it does show directions. It does not show them on the half-height ones. But you get directions and voice from the MFD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean louis, but they must be reasonably genuine otherwise they would not be able to keep going on ebay and would have negative feedback. I understand they can just start up under a diff name. Any other advice would be really good as its my xmas present to myself

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call me stupid but when your saying about half height, are you talking about the mfd being single din size as opposed to double. I have a few questions as dont want to part with my money easily and no I am not tight [8-|]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All that info on mine is shown at the bottom of the rev counter, its a T reg. Must be newer ones its in the middle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Steve

I have just got one from eBay, always check there feed back , I too was a little bit wary of getting on from Lithuania, but in the end I got mine from a seller called navi555 as he has got a good rep and also one of my friends got one from him.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

There are a few that don't use paypal and only accept money transfers straight into there bank, now call me skeptical but if you do that and don't go through paypal, then you have very little come back via eBay and as it is coming from outside the UK you need to protect your had earned cash as much as poss.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

You will also need to get one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plug-Play-SET-VW-MFD-AUDI-SAT-NAV-CABLE-ADAPTER-ANTENNA_W0QQitemZ170058407508QQihZ007QQcategoryZ75327QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can I just ask why people are buying these when they are so highy priced? For the same price you could buy a decent sat nav system like Garmin Nuvi or sumthing similar!

Im not criticising im just curious as i dont understand what the advantage this has over an aftermarket one!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Micky

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Ur</st1:City></st1:place> right there are better ones out there, but I got mine just to try and keep the OEM look in the car and there not that bad as far as directional information but can be a little slow at times.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I think it?s all down to personal choice and I have already got a road angel (had it for a few years )and did not want anymore wires running across the dashboard plus I got an adaptor for mine so I can add a DVD player ,Xbox ect... and just use the MFD screen <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

·
Registered
623 Posts
OK, so the only advantage of the full height FIS is that you get directions on there...

Is this available as a post-factory upgrade? Is it basically a case of replacing the clock unit - and presumably there's an extra wiring loom to go in somewhere?

Anyone done this before?

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is the guy I used:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-VW-Navigation-navi-version-D-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ260064703102QQihZ016QQcategoryZ27385QQcmdZViewItem

It came with MFD, GPS ariel and CD MAP. The CD was a copy and it didn't work so the seller said he would send me another but I told him that it was ok because I heard copy maps can damage the lazer inside the MFD so I opted to get an original one.

Also beware of the post this time of year and might take longer!
I can confirm this seller is genuine, i bought mine from him back in Oct, he supplied everything except the plug and play leads, he also threw in a CD of France for me.

A poster asked why spend the money on an MFD when you can get an aftermarket Sat Nav, well personally i had a Tom Tom 700, don't get me wrong, it's a great bit of kit, but you soon get fed up with removing it every time you get out of the car.

So, the MFD cost me ?239 plus p&p, the plug and play lead was ?13, i also decided to buy a 6 CD boot changer for ?80 plus a proper CD changer fitting kit for ?51...total ?452 inc all postage costs.

I sold my Tom Tom to a mate for ?200, the Gamma Radio for ?30 and the Single In Dash CD for ?82 ...total ?312

Sorry, i also bought an adaptor for ?30 ish so i could plug my MP3 into the rear of the MFD, so i don't have to use the FM Transmitter now.5

So for ?180 extra, i have a built in Sat Nav, 6 CD Changer and be able to use my MP3.

The dash looks 100% cleaner now, and i am very happy with mine although i have not tested it on an unknown route yet, but judging by the local routes, there shouldn't be any problems.

I was paranoid about my Tom Tom getting stolen from the car, it's a pain to carry around with you, and even if you take it with you every time, if the thieves watch you removing it from the windscreen, ( if i was a thieving gitt, i would be sitting around in car parks) they might still think you have hidden it in the car, so they may break in anyway.

Myself and my wife used to take it in turns to go to the toilet at motorway service stations, so as not to leave the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts