Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mate was telling me that a BMW 325i E36 is quicker than my golf and cost less to runbut im not so sure

What you think lads???

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I think the current/last 325 was 187bhp, the new 328 are about 217bhp I believe.

I had a run in with a 325 a while back, we were about on par.

I've tried it with a 328 too [:'(]

Hence why I know the figures too

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
E36 325i was 192BHP. The later 328i was 193BHP but considered nicer to
drive. Later E46 325is vary between 189BHP (early) to 192BHP (later
models), E46 328i was 198BHP and the 330 is 231BHP. Remember the E36 325s/328s/are all over 7-16 years old now, whereas the MKIV launched in 1998.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My mate has a nice 328i 190 bhp I think ...cracking car sounds the business...but they are not very quick at all......I wasted him at SantaPod up the strip twice......best times he could put in were high 15's low 16's.

A chipped 1.8T should beat one id imagine

·
Registered
690 Posts
My mate has a nice 328i 190 bhp I think ...cracking car sounds the business...but they are not very quick at all......I wasted him at SantaPod up the strip twice......best times he could put in were high 15's low 16's.
Yes, but you drive a modded 150 PD running 230 bhp!!!

Keeping things standard, a 328i (or 325i for that matter) would probably beat any Golf bar the .:R and maybe the 4mo in a straight line, and would definitely have the edge handling-wise!

As for build quality, well if we're talking E46 then the Golf is just put to shame!

·
Registered
437 Posts
BMW conservatively quote 0-60 as around 7.1 secs but its commonplace to see well under 7 secs though.

I doubt a std 1.8t will be faster than a 325 and certainly not quicker than a 328.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my friend has an E36 328i and it is pretty much exactly the same as my 4motion. i'd have thought a standard 1.8t would get wasted by a 325i as they aren't much slower than the 328i. plus the FWD against RWD factor, turbo lag etc etc

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes, but you drive a modded 150 PD running 230 bhp!!!

Keeping things standard, a 328i (or 325i for that matter) would probably beat any Golf bar the .:R and maybe the 4mo in a straight line, and would definitely have the edge handling-wise!

As for build quality, well if we're talking E46 then the Golf is just put to shame!
Apologies, in that case yes the BMW 328i is faster than a Standard PD 150 and 1.8T....I have been in them all id also say the the old 325 was too.

Also as mentioned above rear wheel drive gives them an advantage off the line

·
Registered
372 Posts
How do they compare with regards to weight? I would guess that the BMW would be a bit heavier than the Golf which would effect its performance a bit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, that's great! There's a definitive answer for you, something not often seen on this board!

I didn't realise the 325 had a top speed of 150mph (149mph as in parkers guide) that's impressive. By rights though, there is no way it should stick with a 350Z, they have 276bhp and 363Nm of torque, compared to 192bhp and 245Nm torque of the BMW! Don't know what happened there!

The BMW saloon weighs in at 1495kg, the Golf 1.8T 150 at 1203kg and the 350Z at 1525kg, again, according to parkers guide.

I remember when I had my MGZS 180, on a long open dual carriage way I was in the same situation with a 330i saloon up to 140mph, except he was behind. He couldn't get past and I couldn't pull away. Again, really it should have killed the ZS. Am starting to think now I have mistaken it for a 330d as they have similar performance figures and the cars were very evenly matched.

Not long after I tried the same with a 330 ci convertible and that got past me without too much of a struggle. I am still sure the first one had 330i on the back though. Maybe rebadged or something. You can't rebadge a 350Z though, so I suppose it is possible that mine matched the 330.

·
Registered
437 Posts
330, doesn't matter whether petrol or diesel, wouldn't have had much trouble if the driver was trying.

Our 330 absolutely murders the 4motion, and just to rub it in returns better fuel consumption under all circumstances.

As soon as my Golf is sold I'll be getting a diesel as my mileage is
going up to 20k pa now. I really like the fact that the Golf is so non
descript (had 5 of them now) but the 330d is such a good car I couldn't
choose a Golf ahead of it, despite it being more modern and with less
mileage.

·
Banned
774 Posts
I like the video- the 325 is a lot slower to hit the limiter than a 330i as one would expect. Either way it's a good showing and demonstrates why E46's are a bargain at the prices you can pick them up for now. We use our 330ci to go and do the shopping which I guess is a criminal waste.

Remember that the original question was relating to an E36 325 which is down on a bit on power compared to a late 325 E46. I still reckon it would keep up with a remapped 1.8T though.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
330, doesn't matter whether petrol or diesel,
wouldn't have had much trouble if the driver was trying.Our 330
absolutely murders the 4motion, and just to rub it in returns better
fuel consumption under all circumstances.
x2. Performance wise - especially in the top end of the rev range - the
BMW murders my old Bora V6, but it does require more concentration when
slippy...the V6 was almost point and shoot, the BMW can get a bit tail
happy as you would expect.

Remember that the original question was relating to an E36 325 which
is down on a bit on power compared to a late 325 E46. I still reckon it
would keep up with a remapped 1.8T though.
The E36 is a lighter car, so I would agree the BM will still take
it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The car was pulling exactly the same even when we were not behind the 350Z.

I will try and dig out a video of when we were alone on the Autobahn doing the same speeds.

I think the 350Z was driving hard but just not 100% thats why we were so close.

-----EDIT-----

Here you go www.silcs.co.uk/micra/150.wmv this is with nothing infront of us. It does 130 to 140 in exactly the same 10 seconds as when we were behind the 350Z.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts