Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

a while ago, VW borught out the 1.6 FSI sport version. Does anyone have this version and if so, what are your views?

I have seen a 06 plate one with 1000 miles on the clock and was thinking of getting it.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Its not fast, but what do you expect from a 1.6.. as said b4 wouldnt have the 1.4.. but the 1.6 is perfectly acceptable for the golf size etc

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 1.6 FSI SE. The engine is pretty good, reasonably economical and the performance is acceptable but not fast. There is some droan at motorway speeds though, and you do sometimes have to drop down to 5th to overtake (probably not surprising!)

To be honest the main thing that would put me off the engine is that I've had a persistent fuel leak which VW seem to be having awful trouble fixing. It's currently in the garage for about the 8th time (might be the 9th, I've lost count) trying to get this resolved, and has spent a good month off the road in total as a result. However I'm assured that this a very rare fault, so perhaps I was just unlucky...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have the 1.6FSI SE and am very happy with it. The engine (once well run in) is nice and smooth, pretty quick for a 1.6.

Mine has the same suspension and steering wheel as the SPORT, the handling is excellent whilst the ride is still very good.

The SPORT was not out when I got mine, also when it first came out it had a silly ?1K premium over the SE. Now if I were to buy again, I would go for the SPORT over the SE as some of the options I paid for are in the SPORT.

It doesn't have cruise but this can be fitted by dealers cheaper than the factory option if you are after that.

Go for a test and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have seen a 06 plate one with 1000 miles on the clock and was thinking of getting it.
It may well make sense but make sure its at least 15% off new list price as a brand new one can be ordered from a UK dealer (via a broker) with 10% off and you will be the first owner. You would also have the chance to add some litle extras like the hi-line computer and armrest.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
To be honest the main thing that would put me off the engine is that I've had a persistent fuel leak which VW seem to be having awful trouble fixing. It's currently in the garage for about the 8th time (might be the 9th, I've lost count) trying to get this resolved, and has spent a good month off the road in total as a result. However I'm assured that this a very rare fault, so perhaps I was just unlucky...
Hi mate, is there a physical leak or jusr a smell of fuel... if its a smell of fuel a new set of fuel injectors should/will fix it.. happened to me. VW eventually replaced the injectors and all was well, there was someone else on here with the same problem............

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just been impressed with my little 1.6 today and yesteray, had an interview in Bournemouth, whilst I'm in Leeds, thats 270 miles each way (540 total), average of 75mph, and Air con on the whole time ( what do you expect in this weather), and did the whole thing on one tank .

Brimmed it before I left,a nd was on fumes when i got back, but still impressive in 34?C heat! Though maybe its the whole psychological thing of going all the way to the south coast and back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi mate, is there a physical leak or jusr a smell of fuel... if its a smell of fuel a new set of fuel injectors should/will fix it.. happened to me. VW eventually replaced the injectors and all was well, there was someone else on here with the same problem............
Just a smell of fuel. It's worst when the engine is cold, on starting and under acceleration.

They've replaced a lot of injector related stuff (seals, fuel rails etc.) but I don't think they've replaced the injectors themselves. I'll dig out the service sheets and have a look. Many thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah i had that, fuel lines, seals etc etc... but when they finally replaced the injectors it was fixed (if give this info to your dealer and they dont listen i can give u my dealers name and my car details if that would help them take notice...

Does it only do it when cold as well.. so after 15+ mins of driving it doesnt happen??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Go for it !

I have Oct 05 1.6 Sport FSI and love it compared to my 1.6 civic sport-the 6th Gear is superb on motorway and drops fuel consumption at 65-70mph crusiing to around 46-49mpg on sainsburys super fuel and normal only slightly less.

The acceleration is good and I have not noticed any noise at high speed etc.

Only one problem last week due to air con oulet pipe defecct and leaked -but excellent service basically next day after informing the dealer it was in for correction for 3 days but kept informed at all times and all ok--great dealer service in my opinion.

To conlcude a great model and with front spots looks the works-you can get them fitted also on used model-I would go for it.[:D]

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey all, bit of a newbie here.

i was originally going to get a 1.6 fsi sport, however it has now been discontinued. you can no longer get a 1.6 fsi in the sport. the only options now are the 1.4tsi and the diesels.

having driven both the 1.6 fsi and the 1.9 tdi, i can safely say that i would go for the diesel everytime.....

my two cents :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi

Thanks for all your advice. You are correct that the 1.6 sport is now discontinued and replaced with the 1.4 TSI.

The one I saw was for 13k I think with 1000 miles on clock and 06 plate. Thats almost a 3-4k saving on a TSI, which is way I am considering it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I test drove the 1.6 FSI and the 1.9 TDI (TSI wasn't available at the time in late 04). The 1.9 TDI was just too noisy unfortunately - it's not one of the quieter VW diesels.

With the increased mileage I do now I am thinking of changing to a diesel, but I'll try and stretch to a 2.0 140 if possible.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Think they say, its not wortht he extra for the TDi unless you do 20k plus a year
It depends how long you keep the car of course. I did a rough calculation before buying my Golf. For my mileage ~12k/year I think it was 3 or 4 years before the initial outlay would be recovered. That's comparing the 1.6TDI to the 1.6FSI.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts