1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

The car in question is a 1.4 16v mk4 golf - 1999 V reg

Well i bought this car 2 weeks back as spares or repairs,

The problem is no matter if its hot or cold, or in any certain gear its always like this

when i drive in slow moving traffic or at a steady speed just say 30mph i can feel the car slightly jerking back and forth, this happens in any gear

i noticed the engine managment light have been popped at some time as it do not light up when the ignition is turned on, any way i can replace this bulb at all...

also im getting just 45 - 50 miles to every £10 - thats clearly bad as i drive sensible...

i can also smell over fueling once the car is started - again no matter if hot or cold...

any ideas

************** NOW FIXED ********************

syptoms was ---

Bad MPG, Fuel smell, Juddry / jerky ride as above,

I cleaned the EGR valve at the front passanger side of the inlet manifold, cleaned throttle body.. also replaced the MAP sensor its on the back drivers side of the inlet manifold,,,

been for a test spin and no jerks at all, as for mpg shall test that in the next day or 2 will keep updated about this

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Try the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) which is between the airbox and throttle body. Try disconnecting it and driving the car like that. [y]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread, but what did you use to clean the passenger side inlet manifold as when i was cleaning my throttle body, i noticed it was completely black. I left it alone since i didnt know what i was doing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i'd get that clen mate, i had all black greasy stuff in it, id didnt make the car any faster lol but did improve the response on pedal, i need to know how to do the others bits like whats the best way to get to MAP, EGR Valve etc

Ive got some Axel jacks, standard socket set, anything else i may need? also it there a picture how to on this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
hi im having the same kinda problem im a 1.6L 8v auto i know auto are juicy anyway but before i was getting really bad mpg 18--26mpg now after i clean maf sensor and throttle body clean then alignment it went up to 29-32mpg around town but im getting really bad motorway mpg only 34mpg [brick] and i was driving around 50-60 where before i was getting 44-50mpg at the same speeds and im not sure what is causing it anyone please help and also i cannot find the egr valve and i have ask afew mechanic its just vanished or it doesn't have one [:cool:]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts