Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

My Golf GT TDI 130 has been remapped by performance torque. In the rush hour on a night doing a 12 mile trip i average around 35mpg stopping and starting, and on a night doing the same 12 mile trip i average around 46mpg not in rush hour, what i am trying to find out is, are these averages acceptable for the amount of power and torque my car has or is their a fault with the MAF sensor, i have read on here somewhere that poor MPG can be caused by a faulty MAF... is this correct? I have had my car a diagnostics machine not so long again it showed no faults, the car was remapped back in the summer, and i have had no problems with it. I am not sure whether the averages are good or bad which is why i am asking the question, i always get around 410 miles from a tank of diesel, and i don't rag the car about and always change gear before 3000rpm... does anybody else with a remapped GT TDI get the same averages roughly in the rush hour? If not what averages do you get on your mpg computer?

Thanks people!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Commuting home from Leeds I often get 30-35mpg in nose to tail traffic, last year not remapped got the same, so wouldn't worry, diesels hate being sat idling they drink fuel. this morning, clear road, got 51mpg, usually average around 43-45, same as before remap, more often than not its closer to 43, I don't rag it either.

This time of year it does drink it more, did last year, they are very efficient engines and so dont heat up, spending loads of time on cold start cycle, this time of year lucky to see 430 miles on a tank, get around 480-510 in summer.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i always thought that re-mapps increased your mpg due to it freeing up the engine giving it more power to run with less effort

·
Registered
137 Posts
diesels hate being sat idling they drink fuel.

. . .

they are very efficient engines and so dont heat up
I think we have a slight contradiction here! Have you ever left a diesel idling? They warm up very very slowly and so would it not seem logical that they are not burning much fuel?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
most cars burn more fuel sitting still than they do creeping in first gear.

Oh, and the MPG your getting sounds about right. A faulty MAF would cause you to drop another 10 or so MPG off those numbers.

Baz

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Well I have genuine santa monicas on mine, coming from light weight monty IIs and made no difference to MPG or performance whatsoever. now its remapped if I sit on mway doing 60mph then the mpg is increased from standard, and if cruising at 40mph etc. but in normal mixed driving its exactly the same which suits me just fine.

And no its not a contradiction how does an engine being efficient with regards to operating temperature relate fuel consumption? Old renault engines were economical but ran very hot, more heat doesnt mean more fuel used, simply ineffecive cooling etc.The VAG PD engine is known for being a very heat efficient engine, it takes nearly 5 miles for mine to warm up on >5 degree mornings, tonight I had sat in traffic for 20 min + before it hit 90 degrees, which meant the car would use more fuel as the engine is in its cold start cycle.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have you changed the wheels? big heavy replica wheels shall have an effect
I did have 18' replica RS4 wheels, but i saw the light as everywhere i looked i saw a golf with them on... so i then decided to go and purchase some mint OEM Santa Monica wheels from V6 4 Motion, The are definitely OEM as they have the part numbers and logo on the inside of them rim so they can't be heavy replicas...

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
most cars burn more fuel sitting still than they do creeping in first gear.

Oh, and the MPG your getting sounds about right. A faulty MAF would cause you to drop another 10 or so MPG off those numbers.

Baz
Cheers for the information baz, most helpful!

[Y]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This time of year it does drink it more, did last year, they are very efficient engines and so dont heat up, spending loads of time on cold start cycle, this time of year lucky to see 430 miles on a tank, get around 480-510 in summer.
I have never had more than 430 mile to a tank in mine, summer or winter time... and like i say i don't abuse it... i do give it some on a bypass or motorway every now and then, but its not brayed right around to the red line!

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
430 miles to a tankful? Blimey, that's dreadful efficiency. In Summertime I would touch 600 miles to a tank occasionally when I've visited relatives via a 400 mile round trip. Normal commuting served up 550 miles per tank. More recently as the weather has got colder I have seen mpg fall and am getting perhaps 520-530 miles per tank.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
430 miles to a tankful? Blimey, that's dreadful efficiency. In Summertime I would touch 600 miles to a tank occasionally when I've visited relatives via a 400 mile round trip. Normal commuting served up 550 miles per tank. More recently as the weather has got colder I have seen mpg fall and am getting perhaps 520-530 miles per tank.
Is your GT TDI remapped or standard?

·
Registered
186 Posts
same here, consistently get 550+ miles from about 45lts so approx 55mpg - mind you my daily commute is 30 miles each way most of which is motorway at 50/60/70 at 7am and 4pm so miss worst traffic

·
Registered
68 Posts
Standard. Of course some remaps may a detrimental effect. Although as others have mentioned here, some of my friends' remapped diesels return the same or slightly better mpg due to the effect of having more throttle response than standard.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The type of journey you have makes a big difference on your fuel economy.

No engine is going to be economical queueing in traffic and you get very little benefit from having a diesel with this kind of commute. I have a 60 mile a day 90% motorway commute and get 50+ mpg because of this. When tootling around at night lots of short journeys etc I see more like 35.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The type of journey you have makes a big difference on your fuel economy.

No engine is going to be economical queueing in traffic and you get very little benefit from having a diesel with this kind of commute. I have a 60 mile a day 90% motorway commute and get 50+ mpg because of this. When tootling around at night lots of short journeys etc I see more like 35.
So the figures that i am getting are probably about right then? Either way the golf is much better than my previous car (MG ZR MK2) so I'm on win win situation at the mo [;)]. I just thought i would ask the question about the golf's fuel economy...

Cheers [Y]

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
430 miles full tank?   i once filled my 1.6 up with about 42 to 44 litres of petrol and it lasted amgood 415-420 ish miles.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
In town driving which mine is mostly I do use a lot more fuel, on a recent holiday to cornwall I got 600 miles to a tank, all motorway driving I get around 480-550, but usual commute low 400s, it all depends on the journey not so much the driving style I have found.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts