Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

You may have seen my rant on the MKIV discussion board. Basically VW sold my car to someone else by mistake and after solicitors letters and trading standard involvement they have said that I can have any VW at cost price as a good will gesture.

Which one should I go for??? does anyone know what the performance will be like on a new GT TDI compared to the MKIV Gt TDI 150bhp?

Rich

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hi

Apparently cost price is 12% less than RRP.
Really, I thought it would have been more given that some dealer/brokers are selling cars with big discounts.

A quick look at uknewcars.co.uk shows a 5 door GT TDI as follows:

list price ?17820

saving ?1828

= ?15991.

That's a discount of 10.3%.

12% off is ?15681 so I don't believe they only make ?309 between them selling a brand new car!

I would push for more discount [;)]

·
Registered
689 Posts
The difference between a well run in GTTDI and a pd150 is more in its style of performance, ie less turbo lag, smoother transfer and revvier top end,

That said, there are10% discounts to be had on pd140's anyway. But none to be had on a GTI....

·
Registered
796 Posts
yeah thats not cost price mate.  you could almost negotiate that walking in off the street, I think they are taking the *** out of you.  demand some freebies!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think 12% is the dealer mark-up, is it not?

I would be tempted with a Mk5 GTi (petrol or diesel) or why not place an order for the Mk5 R32!?!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well as some will know on here i got a replacement car for a very good deal because of all problems with my last one... with all the options my car would of cost 17k ish... but they negotiated a ?2280 discount( This was on all the official paperwork for the new car). so try and get a much higher discount

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If you can afford to run and buy the GTI, then that is the obvious choice.  But make sure that they give you a loan car to see you through, as you will be waiting 5 months for one to be built.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
yeah thats not cost price mate. you could almost negotiate that walking in off the street, I think they are taking the *** out of you. demand some freebies!
Agreed, I can assure you that 12% off retail will not be cost cost price...

Like has been said, you could get that off with a good haggle, and the internet firms go to show the exorbitent margins dealers sell cars at...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Get the GTI, you would be one of the first in the UK to get a discount at a Uk dealer that high!

Go on you know you want one ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Mate,

TBH - there is NO choice - so long as you can afford to buy and run the car:

Get the GTi - will hold it's price better than anything else in the garage. :)

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I would have thought that seeing as this thread is a year old his choice would have been made by now.
Its not even five months old - get your facts right before posting [:)]
The user posted on 11th May 2005, a damm sight nearer 1 year than 5 months.
Sorry - you are right - this forum uses the American way of writing the date. Its me that should get his facts right [:$]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts