Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Eish gents I need help, have VW golf 4 1.6 2004 model, issue with car recently is, when I start its like the petrol does not want to come through and when it does it revs above 1 and 2.
OK I cleaned the MAF sensor cleaned the throttle body, still same issue,
know my challenge for the next clean is to find the MAP sensor, this car is in souuth africa its not the same as abroad cant find this little thing,

also need help with high revs and the start issue with petrol no comming through however when she does start and I drive no issue but no power, and when I get to a robot and stop she revs high.

need help anyone.

thanks
Miller,
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
What's the engine code? We might have had the same engine in a different platform, or you might have the older SR engine.

1.6 16v cars have no MAF, but do have a MAP, located on the side of the intake manifold, behind the dipstick, so you assumingly do not have a MAP sensor if it has got a MAF sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Codes?

Sounds like an air leak or bad air mass.
Thx Adam,

not sure where to fine codes what codes boss? air leak where got a mechanic that no really a mechanic he also does no know.

Should I replace the MAF sensor, when I unplug she does no come down

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx Adam,

not sure where to fine codes what codes boss? air leak where got a mechanic that no really a mechanic he also does no know.

Should I replace the MAF sensor, when I unplug she does no come down
please she is eating petrol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the engine code? We might have had the same engine in a different platform, or you might have the older SR engine.

1.6 16v cars have no MAF, but do have a MAP, located on the side of the intake manifold, behind the dipstick, so you assumingly do not have a MAP sensor if it has got a MAF sensor.
its no 16v

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Codes can be found with a fault code reader that plugs into the OBD2 port, located under the AC/Fan controls, behind a cover.

Check all your vacuum hoses - all the pipes connecting to the intake manifold. Brake booster hose is common to crack and fail, as are all the breather hoses.

What does your temperature gauge read when the car has just been started from cold?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys let me get this Mach to have a look, really appreciated, got a chap gone plug it in too will sent fault codes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Codes can be found with a fault code reader that plugs into the OBD2 port, located under the AC/Fan controls, behind a cover.

Check all your vacuum hoses - all the pipes connecting to the intake manifold. Brake booster hose is common to crack and fail, as are all the breather hoses.

What does your temperature gauge read when the car has just been started from cold?
Ice cold she get hot when I drive shot distance robot to robot, when I hit the long road she cools down

·
Registered
10,998 Posts
these AKL engines are known to act up like this when the temperature sensor is faulty... and with you saying it goes really hot on short trips not on long ones i would deffo change the temperature sensor first and see if it makes a difference... i would also check the vacuum lines and the brake servo pipe for leaks... if that all seems to be ok, than i would replace the spark plugs and clean the throttle body... as those all can cause the car to jerk... and if you have no access to a code reader... make sure the in-tank lift pump works and replace the fuel filter, also make sure you've checked the spark plug cables aren't broken and if you do all this you eliminate everything that can be a problem....

PS check if the radiator fan blows once the engine is at operating temperature ( 30 min at idle should be enough)... if it doesn't come on, than you know why it gets hot when you do short trips but stays cold on long ones. that can be related to the temperature sensor but could also be a stuck thermostat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts