Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Im looking for a bit more help on this problem. I have no battery light what so ever, I have had the car into a garage as i thought the alternator was faulty. He phoned me back and said that its not the alternator or the battery, he said they are perfect. He then explained that the light is draining power as its not working and told me if i rev the car hard when first started this will fix it as it does something in the circuit to break the fault.The battery charges and continues to do so after doing this.So Is this an easy fix as he said if its on the dash itself it can not be fixed without swapping the whole dash or its possible it can be fixed cheap. Has anybody else had this problem. Thanks in advance.. .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hello mate,

I can understand your frustation, my dad had exactly the same issue on his 90 bhp TDI.

Basically infront of the gearbox there is a big plastic connector, just above the starter motor, where the loom joins, we found that one of these wires had got damaged as was disonnected, we soldered the cable together and hey presto the battery light came on. also charges fine now with out the need to rev....

Might be worth getting someone to sit inside the car and keep an eye on the battery light while you wiggle and check these cables, as they may see the light come on when you get near the problem, I will see if i can find a pic to help you.

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for the reply.

The problem is now fixed and it was exactly what you said. It cost me next to nothing to fix this problem i hope this post will be usefull to other members. Im so glad i didnt rush out to buy an alternator now and took it to the garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just one more question while im at it. Another problem i have had for a while is when im on the motorway and hit around 80 for a while the car will lose power untill you turn the ignition on and off, could this be the turbo valve its not a big issue but one i would like to fix.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The loosing power maybe a boost leak, this causes the car to go into limp mode, check the vac hoses also remove the undertray and check the rubber vac line going to the turbo, I have seen these split here before.

Let me know how it goes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts