Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the maf on my 1.8t was no good so i changed it ive run it for a few days but its still searching on idle any ideas someone said it might be coil packs or the throttle body needs cleaning any1 got any ideas. also the temp gauge has started too play up on standstill it goes too 90 then when you drive i goes too cold ??????

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
mine did the hunting for revs thing on start up but i find its only when its really! cold out then it sorts itself out after 1-2 mins....

maybe worth vagcom or something to look at the system? maybe ?

·
Registered
355 Posts
or thermostat. Sounds like it could be stuck open. When you're stopped, there's no air flow through the engine, so it is able to get upto temperature. Then when you start moving , the thermostat should start to close as the air flows and cools the engine. If the stat is stuck open, the engine cools too much and you see the temp gauge drop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I serviced my mates 1.8 turbo golf mk4 yesterday. Oil, oil filter, air and pollen filter and the spark plugs. the exact same spark plugs as what was in it and the correct ones. I drove and was happy with my work. today when i checked it again and drove it at idle it settles at 750 rpm then every 3 seconds drops to 500 rpm and tries to stall, driving along seems alright a couple of isolated incidents weren't smooth but better driving along. I checked the coli packs and wiring connectors and i noticed the insulation on some of the wires was split, I've covered with elctrical tape and started the engine again. it vibrated badly to start then i revved it and it levelled out idling properly, which is how i left it, i will keep checking it.

Sorry it's long winded but anyone got ideas? Oh yeah and the tempreture gauge takes ages to get to correct tempreture so thinking new thermostat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts