Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question to you guys is "Can VW make a performance engine that isn't a turbo"

In all the VAG cars Ive tried, the ones without turbos seem hugely lame, this would include the Skoda Fabia SDi and a Passat 1.8 20v. Both of these cars were hurrendously unenthusiastic and take ages to get the car to speed and moving along, even my PD115 passat feels a lot quicker than the 1.8 20v, this is probably down to torque.

So I just wanted to put the question out there to see what you guys think, a few years back I used to own a 205 Mi16 which was NA and put a huge grin on my face everytime I drove it, VW haven't ever done that for me in a non turbo car of theirs - so can VW make a performance non turbo engine?

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Yes of course they can, but performance is not the first on the list when VW make a car, even an R, its a cruiser with grunt, NOT an out and out performance vehicle.

they have to consider allsorts of things when building an engine, like what cars they want to align themselves with in the marketplace and the costs of such a car.

And all these new fangled cars with 300 brake arent actually that much quicker than the ones from ten years ago that had only 200 or so, because they have also gained a whole heap of weight, just compare the early focus RS to the current one, I know which I would rather have.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
TBH i think the 3.2 V6 Is a masterpiece just a little underpowered [paperbag]

Peter

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
There is also a reason why a standard well service VW lump will do 250K and most other manufacturers (in europe anyway) rattle like hell after 150

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
you've driven middle of the range or low spec N/A engines in both petrol and diesel trim and based on that all VW N/A are shite?

well i owned a 1.1 106 independance and a 1.0 corsa trip and they too weren't that exciting and weren't earth shattering performance wise therefore peugeot and vauxhall can't make exciting high power N/A either. despite the above mentioned MI16, the 205gti the mk1 astra gsi etc

try driving a high performance derivative rather than the middle of the road versions but as said don't forget that nowadays VW don't actually make any out and out performance cars they make grunty cruisers, even the R32 isn't a racing car its a sporty GT car with a nice big engine with good grunt.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
forgot to say, the reason nearly every car now has a petrol engine is cost, smaller turbo engines and cheaper to tax, cheaper to insure and do better fuel economy than their larger capacity counterparts. this is the reason VW has ditched the vr6 in place of a 2.0t and ford are dropping the 2.5 5cyl turbo for a 4cyl 2.0 turbo in the newer ST's and RS

·
Registered
731 Posts
... 1.8 20v ... unenthusiastic ... Mi16 which was NA and put a huge grin on my face everytime I drove it, VW haven't ever done that for me in a non turbo car of theirs - so can VW make a performance non turbo engine?
OK on the face of it you're comparing a VW 1.8 20v against a Peugeot 1.8 16v

But the VW lump is designed for fuel economy, heavy duty cycle, long life, whereas the Mi16 engine is a light weight high-revving designed for motorsport lump.

Not comparing like for like.

Try comparing a bogo standard Peogeot 1.6 against a the VW 1.8 - its a fair comparision considering the ages differences of the engines you're comparing, and the types of vehicle they stuck them in.

I had a 405 Mi16x4,so I know the engine the well. Just not reliable either. Always wished I had the T16 (Turbo-ed Mi16) !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mi16 is a 1.9, and my old passat 1.8 20v was NOT economical at all ranging from about 25-30mpg. Considering its performance, thats not very economical at all

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The 2.0ltr 16v ABF is a great N/A engine, good enough even to make a Mk3 GTi feel quick and thats hell of a achievement.

I have a huge soft spot for the W8 engine, not hugely powerful but from an engineering point of view is a similar weight and size to an average 6 cylinder engine. And some of the technology to improve Fuel consumption is pretty impresive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts