Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know that we've pared down the price on our VW Driver track day at Mallory Park on Saturday March 25

?140 gets you a full day pass, ?80 for half day

Helmets can be hired on the day

It's an interesting circuit ? easy enough to learn for novices but demanding to drive really fast (esp Gerrards) for the black belts. At less than a minute per lap, if you're on the pace, you can get a lot of laps in!

PLUS: FREE club parking plots in the paddock and FREE entry for spectators

There's also lunchtime parade lap for anyone with children under 16 who can't ride on the hot laps

Check out www.autometrix.co.uk

Tel: 01525 750 500

or e-mail me your postal address for an info leaflet

Hope to see you there, : ) Neil B

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys ? it'll be nice to see a few more Mk 4s out on the circuit ... (project GTI will be out on the track)

But even if you don't fancy wearing out your tyres (!), come along and spectate or arrange a club line-up

There's some interesting cars cars coming along to take part, including VAGtech's turbo R32 ? well worth a look... : )

See you there....

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Went to Mallory today for the afternoon session. Have to say what a great afternoon, I was surprised to see it was so quiet.

These sort of days are perfect to get to grips with track driving, the half day option makes it relatively cheap, and worth the risk of bad weather, (it was lovely today though) and with plenty of help available, (including instruction form the race school guys in your own car, all FOC.

A half day session is great for proper road cars, to be honest, its plenty and if you are trying hard, any longer and your pride an joy starts to feel the strain. But three sessions is about right to have some fun without the feeling that your car is about to fall apart underneath you.

So come on guys lets see some more of you at the next one, Croft, (cracking fun circuit!) and Castle Combe after that. These events should be supported, the fun anf friendly track day is becoming a thing of the past in recent years. Today took me back about ten years to track days when there was good cheap fun to be had, with friendly and helpful organisation and lots of fun.

Cheers to Neil and his team for the event, it was a really good day. The old MK4 ran real well, with the only mods for the day being 2psi extra all round and pulling the ABS fuse, to help with turn in (read slide in!) for the hairpin! Was a bit worried that I used over 3/4 of a tank though in three sessions........5.8mpg avg!....!!!![:O]

There are professional photographers there, so you can get a nice momento too. So there really is no excuse.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Would like to say thanks to all the organisers and of course Sim for taking me round (would have taken the R around, but lack of job at the moment meant I didn't)

But it was good to see Sim whipping the ass off RS4's / S2's and also giving a couple of Caterhams a run for the money his 1.8T... I recorded a laptime of 58.34 secs for him whilst he was taking his better half around although this was on his last session when the car was starting to get tired.

Look forward to seeing the pics

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Would like to say thanks to all the organisers and of course Sim for taking me round (would have taken the R around, but lack of job at the moment meant I didn't)

But it was good to see Sim whipping the ass off RS4's / S2's and also giving a couple of Caterhams a run for the money his 1.8T... I recorded a laptime of 58.34 secs for him whilst he was taking his better half around although this was on his last session when the car was starting to get tired.

Look forward to seeing the pics
Yup, I have reviewed the incar video and quickest lap in the first session was a 57.66! Not bad for a 115k remapped 1.8T!

We were messing about a bit in the last session, throwing it in at the corners to get some nice opposite lock footage for the camera, but the tape ran out as we had left the pits!! So 20 minutes of deliberately knackering tyres for nothing (but the memory!). A shame too, as it was this session that the car was being launched at the lake esses so enthusiastically, I somehow turned the ignition off, mid turn, wiht my knee, leaving no power an stiff steering! A fluke once, but managed to do it again two laps later.......!??!

Still we do have some nice footage of driving round the outside of a remapped TT225 quattro at Gerrards! I am not sure the guy knew how it happened!!

Thankfully, I had no police convoy in tow and will not be on Breakfast TV this week, crying my heart out! For that muppet on the A1, I can confirm you can successfully negfotiate the lake esses at Mallory at over 90mph, even with the key and engine turned off...!>!>! (TWICE!)[;)]

·
Registered
29 Posts
simch - is your car the red 5 door? If so, I think I might have some footage of your tyre shreading antics!

Is there any chance of uploading your in-car footage to PC?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yes it was the red 5 door.

Where abouts were you at Mallory then? I saw some guys videoing at the hairpin, and we were being quite lairly at times there!

I got the first two sessions when we were taking it quite easy, the last session (last but one of the day) was when we went out for some real lairy fun, and the darn tape ran out on my in car camera!!!'doh!

Would love to see any external footage you have. I'll pm you my email addy!

I will have to see if I can get my incar footage on the compyuter this weekend and see if I can post a lap! Need to find a lap when I am not "swearing" too much though!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Nice video, well shot actually!! I am surprised how well you are panning there!!

Poor old golfs front ns tyre is well destroyed, I can see why now!! That last little clip of the entry to Lake esses was good!

Cheers man. The incar footage looks good, but its nice to see from the outside too!

·
Registered
29 Posts
To tell you the truth, it's the first outings it's had since I bought the camcorder, I'm mainly using it as a recorder for a bullet camera that gives good wide onboard and outside footage, when I've got the guts to stick it on the bodywork that is.

Did you have your camcorder mounted on anything? What format does it use, Mini DV tapes?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
To tell you the truth, it's the first outings it's had since I bought the camcorder, I'm mainly using it as a recorder for a bullet camera that gives good wide onboard and outside footage, when I've got the guts to stick it on the bodywork that is.

Did you have your camcorder mounted on anything? What format does it use, Mini DV tapes?
For a proprietary bracket have a look here;

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Mounting%20Brackets.htm

They also do sunction mounts for fixing to external bodywork. I've seen these brackets in action and they do a good job. Obviously, to take a camera in-car it must be fixed or you won't be allowed by the marshalls.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I use a trick I developed uears ago, wiht a broken tripod I had (bipod!) I now use a tripod though, two legs on the floor, one to the rear seat, then nuse good old duck tape to strrap it to the headrest supports! You just need to remeber to not adjust the seats once its set up!! Looks a bit of a bodge up but it works a treat and there is no movement at all, even on heavy braking.

Yes, my tapes are mini dv tapes. I have a sony camcorder I bought that can take a bullet cam, (av input??) Anyway the guys at AV forums confirmed it takes a bullet cam. But I have not been able to get one yet. I went to Hong Kong last Nov and tried to get one, but there were none about.

Which do you use. I really am after one for use on the motorbike, (helmet cam etc).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've used that tripod method myself in the past!

The reason I ask about the mounting is that from the sidelines it looked as though one or two passengers were holding something in their hands going around the track, I'm sure that's what I saw anyway...

I've got one of those b-hague mounts, the headrest one, key point is you need a sturdy seat, I've not tried using it in my Mk1 Golf yet but I might have to renew my seat runner glide piece thingies. Seems to work 'ok' on my brothers Mk4.

My bullet camera was from http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/, I bought the Pro 480, it uses quite a wide lens and it's also not to bad at night either if you mount it in a grille. Quick demo with it attatched to the headrest mount in the Mk4 (I'm not sure what recording settings I used to get it onto the PC, so it doesn't really show the true quality, similar to the compilation I did of your Mk4, I could have used a higher quality with that): http://media.putfile.com/Test_Bullet480

You'll see what I mean about the little suction pads you get with dogcam cameras, I wouldn't like to trust them on the side of a car! So I will have to invest in a proper suction mount.

I wouldn't mind seeing all of your footage from Mallory if you can send it on disc/tape if you can. There doesn't seem to be much onboard Mk4 video footage on track in the UK, on the net..

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If you can edit out my swearing you can have it!!?

PM me your details (address etc) and I will see what i can do. If you are localish I can pop it round and you can copy it striaght onto your PC!

Its a great picture, we watched it on the 10ft cinema screen through s video and it looked real nice!

I think the missus was just holding onto the seatbelt! Because here seat was back so as to hold the tripod, she cannot brace her feet on the floor, so she was gettign flung forward whenever we braked!!!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I reckon we did about 40-50 laps, about 1.35 miles a lap. Two thirds of a tank in the first two sessions, and just over a third in the last!

About 60-70 miles on a tank then.......!??!!? MFA showed 7.6 mpg av on track, but I have a 4 bar not 3 bar pressure regulator, so its overreads by about 20-25% on track!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts