Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent bulletin just into my dealers apparently regarding a certain air of self-mindedness when it comes to mk5 electric mirrors.

Apparently VW have had several complaints and dealer visits about the mirrors doing their own thing, particularly when opening and closing, finding they fall out of sync (so you go to close them and one remains open, and then they stay out of sync).

Guy at my dealer this morning (set 3 of door seals now installed by a senior tech!) got a shock, as he backed mine out of the space. Opened the mirrors, and my passenger side opened and then kept opening!!

Twice it's done it now (and both times at the same dealer too bizarrely) so he bought this up. They're going to have a look at this when mine goes in for 1st service on the 26th.

Just a heads up in case yours start playing up at all [:)]

C

·
Registered
70 Posts
I see yours is a 2005, anyone else had this on 2005 or a 2006... ordered my with the mirrors so want to have a heads up if they're likely to go funky :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've seen a few posts on here with people having similar issues, the common theme seems to be a motor replacement under warranty.  Maybe a VAG-Com could see if there had been any intermittent faults reported?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had problems with my 2006 model, both mirrors sticking intermittently. Took back to VW and they replaced the passenger side motor but wouldn't do anything with the driver side as it wasn't showing a fault on their computer. It was fine for a couple of days but soon went back to sticking and with increasing regularity. Haven't been bothered to book it in again yet as it's very boring being told that they can't find fault with it.

Just for the record they've never stuck open or gone out of sync.

·
Registered
320 Posts
2006 here... they close everytime and thats about it. Open as and when they wish, usually one then close then open again!

Had it checked out, apparently some fault codes cleared. Was fixed for the next 10 attempts then it has reverted to being bonkers again!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Any news from VW UK about this guys?

Mine seem to have spells of days where they work perfectly then they start playing up again...stopped being amusing driving around with one mirror closed now!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No sorry, mine's not gonna be going in on Weds coming now, as I'll be down in Bristol... It'll be rescheduled, but if nothing comes up in hte mean time I'll see what I can find out when I do make it in....

C

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just been on the phone to my service manager regarding the mirrors. He has spoken to the head of the technical dept and VW UK and has confirmed that it is a software glitch that causes the mirrors to open independently. Apparently VW in Germany are updating the software as we speak to try and correct the issue.

Hopefully it will be here sooner rather than later. On a side note, I think it tends to correct itself when the doors auto lock for me, before that time I just have the one mirror open!

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's good news, hope they get it sorted quickly. Although mine have mostly been behaving themselves the last few weeks would be nice to just KNOW they're going to work.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm I'd completely forgotten about this (typically mirrors good as gold atm!)... I'll ring my dealer on Tuesday and find out why nobody's updated me about this and my dodgy windows!

C

·
Registered
320 Posts
My car was at the Dealers for a new steering rack about a month ago. Had them update the ECU because of lumpy idle and since then my mirrors are working perfectly all the time!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
My car was at the Dealers for a new steering rack about a month ago. Had them update the ECU because of lumpy idle and since then my mirrors are working perfectly all the time!!
that's interesting, also the new vw optins list says reverse parking now adjusts the mirrors, does the sw u have no do that? It's settable in the highline computer i think

·
Registered
320 Posts
that's interesting, also the new vw optins list says reverse parking now adjusts the mirrors, does the sw u have no do that? It's settable in the highline computer i think
Wow, haven't checked that, although it sounds awesome. Let me go downstairs and check!

·
Registered
182 Posts

Wow, haven't checked that, although it sounds awesome. Let me go downstairs and check!
on a related thought, to fix the idle would have meant a new map was loaded i woul dhave thought, other than the idle has anything else changed around how the car goes?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well on the remap note...can't say I have noticed much change with the power delivery or change in power.

Just went downstairs to check out the highline comp to check the reversing mirrors, can't find an option in there, should be under the mirrors options one would have thought? Do you know which menu it is under in Setup?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The mirror thing sounds like a real pain, I just ordered my Steel Grey baby yesterday with the folding mirrors..hope they bloody work! [:'(]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts