Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seem to be losing power and acceleration when i put my foot down, especially on steep hills, got a mate to stick it on the VAG Computer and it came up with MAf errors. He suggested disconnecting the MAF and seeing if the problem persists (still happens)...can anybody out there help?? Do i need a new MAF sensor?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well if you have maf errors on vag com then yeah i'd say you need a new maf mate! When mine was on the way out it would'nt rev past about 3k and big power loss! [;)]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the reply mate, one more question, if the MAF was on it's way out would the perfomance be better after i have disconnected the MAF?? Do i need to reset the battery or anything like that?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, i unplugged mine and it was alot better if your is doing the same then it's defo the maf! No need to reset battery just buy a new maf on exchange form the stealers about ?70 that's a Bosch one. [^]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for that, i have disconnected the MAF today and their is an improvement, but it still seems to lose power slightly for a short period of time and then carry on as normal accelerating. Might just leave it disconnected for a few days and see if i can notice an improvement and then buy a MAF.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah i agree! merc maf is better, but if your getting it chipped in the near furture not to sure if it works well on a chipped pd.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well i changed my MAF a month ago, and im noticing that its already losing power how can it be ????

Im having really some bad experiences with MAF?S, my first MAF was a MERC MAF but it was faulty, had no aceleration at all, then i changed for a Bosh and power was restored, and now im noticing that power is going away again....

No error codes at vag com, i really wanted to try a Merc Maf but i dont want another disapointment...

Best regards

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you have a Merc Maf ?

What can be damaging My Maf, in the last 3 months i had 3 MAF(ORIGINAL BOSH / PIRBURG / BOSH AGAIN )

Im tempted to buy a new Maf(MERC) from TDI PARTS, but im afraid that it doesnt work agaim....

I love my Bora , but i hate this Maf Soap Opera

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote: posted by craigv on 17/11/2004 21:41:49

yup merc maf for about a year now with no problems

craig

Do you have a Pd 150 ??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update on my MAF saga, Having driven about for 2 days with the MAF disconnected, i re-connected it and the problems seems to have resolved itself, feels like a completely diffrerent car, accelerration spot on. Will keep u posted if the problem occurs but so far so good. Stuck the VAG computer and no faults were picked up. But if it does happen again then yeah i will buy a new MAF. Thanks for all the advice guys.

·
Registered
432 Posts
your car would be slow etc as the MAF is doing nothing so your car would have been in Limp mode.low power etc.

my car is a 115pd

craigv

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a new Bosch MAF from stealers for ?88 with exchange (they even kept the packaging). Anyway put in the MAF did a VAG check all clear, thrashed it on the motorway felt like a new car. This morning on my way to Leeds office it was again losing power at 2500 /3000 RPM's. What else can i do any suggestions guys..thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is a bit off topic but I hate to start a new one just for this, especially after this is so relevant... the question is...

How do I disconnect the MAF?

Cheers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know its a old topic, but im having a similar problem with my a4 tdi 130. I was told the problem could be a sticky turbo. Anyone else had that same problem?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts