Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main reason I am selling my VX for a GTi is the fact I have got back into my mountain biking again and you cant get a rack for the VX(not without screwing directly into the body clam!). With this in mind I am going to need to get a rack for the GTi when I get it.
I have had a look on the VW site and they have THIS one, but is it any good? Does anybody use a bike rack, and if so which one?
TIA [:)]Kevin

·
Registered
643 Posts
I use Thule roof bars and then the bike attachment on top - already had the bars and roofbox, so was a no brainer answer for me - get the bike rack attachment to fit the roof bars.

If you want to find out more, take a look at www.roofbox.co.uk.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Thule roof bars and then the bike attachment on top - already had the bars and roofbox, so was a no brainer answer for me - get the bike rack attachment to fit the roof bars.

If you want to find out more, take a look at www.roofbox.co.uk.
Thanks for the reply. [Y]
I''ll bear that website in mind for sure, however my first choice is the VW item becasue it gives me some bargaining power on the price of the GTi. The only reason I wouldn't get the VW item is if somebody recommended me against it because in their experience it's a really is a poor item.
The reason I ask, is the two dealers I visited have never even seen the item, let alone know what it's like, so they are clueless. So if somebody on here has first hand experience of it, that would be great?
[:)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
it looks very similar to the offical VW one i have for my mk4! obvisouly the fit is perfect! RRP is about £250, but got it from VW Speed for £120!

Anyway, will carry 2 bikes upto a total of 30k, but if u have funny shape frames, like many of the modern full sus bikes it becomes a pain to fit them on! Also, as my tyres are 2.2s they dont actually fit into the groves! they go in at an angle and do the straps up tight!

mind u, they dont fit if u have a spoiler as it clamps over the tailgate! GTI has a spoiler doesnt it??

Anyway, i'm happy with it, not that i ever use my bike, getting too lazy! only 23 [cry]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bloody hell Kev you ask more more questions than my 6yr old Daughter [;)] [:D]
Questions get answers Tony, and I've got lots of questions at the moment, so strap yourself in, 'cos it's going to be a bumpy ride!!! ..... [;)]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bloody hell Kev you ask more more questions than my 6yr old Daughter [;)] [:D]
Questions get answers Tony, and I've got lots of questions at the momment, so strap yourself in, 'cos it's going to be a bumpy ride!!! ..... [;)]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it looks very similar to the offical VW one i have for my mk4! obvisouly the fit is perfect! RRP is about £250, but got it from VW Speed for £120!

Anyway, will carry 2 bikes upto a total of 30k, but if u have funny shape frames, like many of the modern full sus bikes it becomes a pain to fit them on! Also, as my tyres are 2.2s they dont actually fit into the groves! they go in at an angle and do the straps up tight!

mind u, they dont fit if u have a spoiler as it clamps over the tailgate! GTI has a spoiler doesnt it??

Anyway, i'm happy with it, not that i ever use my bike, getting too lazy! only 23 [cry]
Thanks for the reply Paul.
I run a 19" Specialized Rockhopper Disc with 2s, so it should sit in the rack ok. One thing I can't see from the picture though is how the bike is strapped to the rack? Are there built in straps or what?
Plus is the rack strong enough to allow you to lock your bike to it?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
thats alright!

there are two slidable arms for the wheels, these slide out either side to make the rack wide enough for the bike, the straps which are included go though this and are pretty strong! These go through your rims and u the tie it down!

your bike should fit no problem. As for locking it, there are two seatpost clamps, one for each bike, the one for the outer bike has a lock on it, which uses the same key are the rest of the rack, as its locked to the tailgate! U could still undo it i guess, but its mainly a deterrant! its a pretty sturdy rack [;)] so u could still lock it to it i image!

takes about 10 mins to actually fit the rack to mine though! u need to put two brackets over the tailgate, in the right position, hang the rack off that, then put the two clamps under the bottom and do it all up!!

i havent used mine since stiffening up my suspension! lol, bit dubious about doing that!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bugger, just been confirmed by the dealer that the VW one won't fit teh GTi becasue of the spoiler. Teh carrier has to be rear mountable (not roof), so has anybody fot any experience of other brands? I had found 2 by company''s called Thule and Mont Blanc, but the company selling them don't know for 100% sure if it will fit becasue the applications list doesn't state GTi or not.

[:S]

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think you might have that problem with all of them to be honest, as that's what I found when I was looking.

In the end I went for the Altera roof rack and bike carrier, Altera make the OEM equipment for VW I believe. Works well, MPG drops a lot though but I believe the rear ones are worse for this according to the Which? tests. Got mine from http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

EDIT - Just looked at the site and it specifically states none of their rear carriers will fit cars with spoilers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you might have that problem with all of them to be honest, as that's what I found when I was looking.

In the end I went for the Altera roof rack and bike carrier, Altera make the OEM equipment for VW I believe. Works well, MPG drops a lot though but I believe the rear ones are worse for this according to the Which? tests. Got mine from http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

EDIT - Just looked at the site and it specifically states none of their rear carriers will fit cars with spoilers.
Looks a good package mate. £204 sems to get me everything i need:
Is that everything I need to carry two bikes? p.s. i upgraded the bars to alluminimum hence the surcharge)
Cheeres [:)]

·
Registered
643 Posts
[:D] Glad the link I provided originally became useful [;)]

Looks like a good package and price there - by the way they use Nightspeed to ship (now owned by Amtrak by the looks of things).

Used them twice now and excellent service on both occasions.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

Looks a good package mate. £204 sems to get me everything i need:
Is that everything I need to carry two bikes? p.s. i upgraded the bars to alluminimum hence the surcharge)
Cheeres [:)]
Looks to be it to me. I have the aluminium bars as well, look pretty cool on the car, or at least they did until they got covered in bugs[:p]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try http://www.saris.com/t-SarisRacks.aspx?skinid=1 , the Bones rack is especially nice.

You can buy them in this country from various bike shops, try www.wiggle.co.uk
Wow, thanks for that! [Y]
The 'bones 2' looks perfect, but i'm still confused as to how they can say it goes 'over' the rear spoiler if it still uses straps (as per the diagram)! [:S] The website states it's ok for the GTi though, so i'm going to give them an email on monday and get some clarification. And at £89.99 a hell of a lot cheaper than a roof bar option!
[:)]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just in case anybody is following this thread and is interested, I got a reply from Saris:
Hi Kevin -

According to the database I have, the Bones does fit. It doesn't give me any info as to why it would fit over the spoiler where other brands don't. It does say that the rack leans away from the car a bit though. You shouldn't need any adapters. As far as accessories, you shouldn't really need any unless you are carrying a women's frame or possibly a full suspension. In which case you might need a Bike Beam.

I hope this helps, thanks,

So I'll be ordering one hopefully next week whe I get my golf, and i'll let you know how it fits etc [:)]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts