Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R32 has had a severe judder from the front under heavy braking[:(!]

So I took it to my dealer today only for him to confirm that my discs are warped.

I thought great, my car has only done 16k it will be covered under waranty...

You guessed it - NO!!! I have just been presented with a bill of ?400 for R32 discs and pads...

I am on the phone to vw at the moment

This stinks[:(!]

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
bloody hell

brakes are a grey ares when under warrenty as they will try saying that you were very heavy on the brakes and caused them to warp

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Disc should last a LONG time regardless of it being under warranty. If they made discs that failed at 16k that would be mental! Good luck mate, i'm sure you can get it sorted.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have already talked to bigburd... VW wont comment on his case.

I am not holding my breath either....

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wise up trev... Do you really think I would tell them that!!!

Just been on the phone to JBR performance... I may use this opportunity to upgrade to a set of ECS 2 piece discs...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought that you had a buddy in sales/service or something Martyn.

Sure if they have the work done are you going to tell them to remove them again and refit your old ones?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Work hasn't been done.

I am just of the phone with vw and they wont cover the cost at all..

VW discs + pads = ?400ish

ECS discs and pads = ?450 + vat (they are two piece)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Have to say, I side with VW on this one (gasp! I know, I'm shocked myself)

There's no way they can warrant something like brake friction materials, as they have no way of knowing how they have been used\abused. If the caliper was leaking, fine, but the discs being wrecked can, and usually is, down to mistreatment or hard use of some kind. (same reason clutches cause arguments too)

I do a lot of motorway miles so my brakes hardly get used, but generally a set of discs lasts 12 months. Hour after hour of stone cold, followed by braking to a stop just ruins them. That's life.

Still, if you dont ask you don't get, so it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Martyn, i have just upgraded to the ECS setup therefore i have my old disks for sale in very good condition (as in no noticeable wear)...

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
18000 miles from front discs in this day and age isn't bad. Friction materials are getting harder, and running hotter to stop our lardy modern cars effectively.

Most of the leon CR owners on cupranet seem to get <10k from front pads, and <20k from discs.

If a disc is going to warp from a manufacturing defect, it'll do it in the first few heat cycles.

After that they tend to go when they get too thin, ie they're worn out.

I do mostly motorway miles, and I'm lucky to get 20K from a front set of discs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts