Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:(!][:(!][:(!]

Stereo hasnt been working, saga with service dept - long story short, technician comes to my work to replace it - scratches all the dash and AC controls in the process.

I get in car, ring service dept straight away "I cant comment until I ask the technician, you cant prove it was him!"

I cannot begin to describe what I want to do to that @?%&!$

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, but check the date of my post, I got it sorted a while back.

In the end I did it all myself as it took 8 visits from VW and they still didnt know how to order or even fit the part.

Customer services called me ref improving the service. It was one of those 0-5 level of agreement answers. My response card must have looked like digital code:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Personally I find this VW forum, generally, a very depressing place to frequent or habit. It seems to contain and concentrate on a litany of faults that should not be expected to be present in what I had assumed to be a quality car (perhaps I mislead myself, here). I suppose that any forum that deals with one particular brand or marque of car would show similar tendencies?

I discovered this forum last year, about two weeks after having ordered my new Golf and have to admit that reading this forum put the fear of God into me as I read throught the various complaints about the MKV and the VW dealerships.

I had to wait about 10 weeks to take delivery (in December 2004) but did not cancel the order as it was vital for me to have a new car before the 1st of January 2005.

Fortunately, so far, I have been very happy with the car, but if things do go wrong in the manner that many of you have described, then I'll ditch my car (not literally, of course) and go out and buy that new Focus that wasn't available when I ordered the Golf. At least there are no prententions with the latter and they are backed up by a good solid dealership.

[:(][:mad:]

·
Registered
591 Posts
I know what you mean marvin. I found this forum before getting my Mk V and was convinced I'd have at least one or two of the "common faults". However this was not the case.

The nature of these types of forum is that most people only start looking for them when they have a problem which needs fixing. Consequently, you never hear from the many other people who are quite happy with their car.

I like these types of forum because they highlight common faults. These faults are easy to spot from the rare/occasional fault of a particular car/person. By hearing about these common faults you can quickly tell whether your car has them and if it does, there's a good chance you'll also have read how to get it fixed.

In my experience, all cars have certain common faults. I think people who expect there car to be fault free and "perfect" are waiting to be disappointed no matter how much they paid for their car.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
How many posts do you get saying, VW replaced my radio and did not scratch the fascia?  None, you only post bad news if I made a post everyday saying my car is running fine today, or I did not get cut up by another driver it would not be read and I would get a huge post count.  Search for any product / service in the world and you will mainly hear bad things, you just need to sort out the slightly bad with the really bad.  Saying that my car is in for the 4th time today for the Dealer Idiots to put a bit of trim on properly.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I agree with the above 2-3 posts. This forum is a God send with regards to the vast amount of knowledge of faults, finding faults, possible fixes, spotting small problems before they happen! etc.... I love it! I am always armed with information and the right questions when I have to go into a "Dealership" (edited from stealership to dealership so I don't upset anyone)! although VWCheltenham did try to charge me ?980 for diagnostics, I complained and it was put down to ?128????  ?980?? daylight robbery!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I agree with the above 2-3 posts. This forum is a God send with regards to the vast amount of knowledge of faults, finding faults, possible fixes, spotting small problems before they happen! etc.... I love it! I am always armed with information and the right questions when I have to go into a stealership!
Interestingly the word 'stealership' has been banned by contributors to a very well know forum on a website maintained by a well-respected motoring journalist who also writes for an upmarket daily newspaper. He or the moderators considered the word puerile, defamatory and libellous as it was obviously a play on the words, 'dealer' and 'stealer' and one would have to prove that the dealer in question was quilty of 'stealing' people's money etc. when all they were doing was carrying out and running a legitimate business albeit, making high but nevertheless, genuine charges for services rendered.

I must admit to being somewhat annoyed each time I see the word but then I'm of that age!!!!!!!!!

[:mad:]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just to redress the balance. I had a fault with my Touran stereo and the dealer replaced it without any sign that the dash had been messed with and had my car ready (and jet washed) within the hour. Currently I have nothing but praise for the dealer and after sales service. I'm also very happy with my two VWs and accept that two recently introduced models will have some minor faults that will be ironed out in time (and fixed under warranty all being well). Apart from the Touran stereo going haywire, and a tiny rattle from my Golf centre air vent, no problems to report so far. I gather that the Mk5 Golf is in it's second incarnation already. Anyone know what the changes were?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Think the changes are just minor interior things and stuff like the VW logo on the headlights etc

What dealer was it mate, Personally think they deserve praise for good work aswell as hell for bad service [;)]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I agree with the above 2-3 posts. This forum is a God send with regards to the vast amount of knowledge of faults, finding faults, possible fixes, spotting small problems before they happen! etc.... I love it! I am always armed with information and the right questions when I have to go into a stealership!
Interestingly the word 'stealership' has been banned by contributors to a very well know forum on a website maintained by a well-respected motoring journalist who also writes for an upmarket daily newspaper. He or the moderators considered the word puerile, defamatory and libellous as it was obviously a play on the words, 'dealer' and 'stealer' and one would have to prove that the dealer in question was quilty of 'stealing' people's money etc. when all they were doing was carrying out and running a legitimate business albeit, making high but nevertheless, genuine charges for services rendered.

I must admit to being somewhat annoyed each time I see the word but then I'm of that age!!!!!!!!!

[:mad:]
There, there, I have changed it for you!! [:^)][}]

·
Registered
965 Posts
Personally I find this VW forum, generally, a very depressing place to frequent or habit. It seems to contain and concentrate on a litany of faults that should not be expected to be present in what I had assumed to be a quality car (perhaps I mislead myself, here). I suppose that any forum that deals with one particular brand or marque of car would show similar tendencies?

I discovered this forum last year, about two weeks after having ordered my new Golf and have to admit that reading this forum put the fear of God into me as I read throught the various complaints about the MKV and the VW dealerships.

I had to wait about 10 weeks to take delivery (in December 2004) but did not cancel the order as it was vital for me to have a new car before the 1st of January 2005.

Fortunately, so far, I have been very happy with the car, but if things do go wrong in the manner that many of you have described, then I'll ditch my car (not literally, of course) and go out and buy that new Focus that wasn't available when I ordered the Golf. At least there are no prententions with the latter and they are backed up by a good solid dealership.

[:(][:mad:]
Come on you get faults and complaints with all manner of cars even Mercedes have problems and this is the ideal place to be made aware of Potential faults. With huge amounts of vehicles being made its no wonder they have faults and this is a great place to come and share troubles and to be made aware of potential problems. However the MKV is probably still teething so they will come across things that will go wrong. I mean its like the legendry dash creaking in the MKIV's you would still buy one though. I would never in my lifetime trade in a beautifully made German built (Long Lasting) car for a FORD ("Fix Or Repair Daily") Please put a ?1 in the swear box for saying that on here! [:O][:)] LOL

·
Registered
965 Posts
And on the up side I recently had a immobilser fault...the car would not start and the key was flashing on the dash. VW's had my car in for 4 days. They did a diagnostics (?49.00) they reprogrammed and synchronised my keys.(approx ?50.00) then you have labour on top (? thats anyones guess) I went to pay the bill and they charged me ?35.00!!!

No thats what I call service![:D][:p]

And on the down side they did want to charge me Around ?550.00 for a new clutch......I don't think so![:O][:mad:]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Come on you get faults and complaints with all manner of cars even Mercedes have problems
Mercedes have more than most these days. The last 10 years has
seen a dramatic drop in quality that the management even admit to, and
are desperately trying to get it back to where it was in the days of
the W124 etc. Parents have had 2 Mercedes - an SLK 200K and an E320CDI
Elegance - and both were absolute crap.

All car forums present a concentrated number of a models owners, so yes
the number of complaints is definetly disproportionate. VW Vortex is
the worst, as there are people there who have only signed up to ward
people off the brand!

·
Registered
111 Posts
As a positive I have to mention cardiff volkswagen, since they came on the scene and hartwell (boo, hiss) left us things have been a lot better. Always been helpfull, service department have been excellent and never tried to charge for things that are obviously warrenty claims on my polo fsi and my g/f's one too. They are very good with moddified cars to and have never tried laying the blame on anything else like an exhaust emissions fault when the car is chipped and had a k&n filter.

They let you use their soft brush car wash free of charge any time.

The sales department are pretty good and got everything spot on when I bought the gti. discounts, free bottle of wine and all the other crap you get with a new car. I just wanted to drive the thing but they insisted on showing me everything and explaining how to check the oil, washers... (sales this is!)

Parts are very good and know their stuff, always have time for you and always phone when your parts arrive to let you know.

I'll be dropping the GTI off on monday to get some warrenty work done myself but I would expect any new car will have faults, I'd only start worrying if they couldn't be fixed within a reasonable time.

[:D]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Complaining about faults on our cars does actually have a plus side. If I have a fault on my car, I look on here to see if anyone else has had a similar fault and what the diagnosis was, and then I can go armed into the dealers with that info so that when they come back to me and tell me they can't find what the problem is I can maybe give them some pointers as to what it could be, just by reading about other people's experiences.

It also helps prevent them from fobbing me off because I'm a lone female - if I suggest to them what the problem could be (from reading about people who have had a similar problem) then they can see that I do have half a brain, do know a little about cars won't stand being ripped off just because I'm a chick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts