Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been reading for a while everywhere.

The setup is VW Bora vr6 2.8 24v 4x4(Haldex) gt35 Twin scroll 500WHP Target LPG+Gasoline Megasquit ECU
Daily will run on 360WHP since it will use LPG(F this fuel prices) and that's the limit on the current LPG injectors (the biggest I found)

It must be a daily driver and will be smashed from morning until evening and must NOT Brake (Often)

Solutions :
1. I would like to put Diesel (130PD/150PD from 1.9tdi) gearbox with Reinforced Fork(I heard they brake) BUT
-The bolt pattern of the VR6 housing is different and adaptor plate is needed
-If the inside of the diesel is moved to the vr6 housing will everything fit? did somebody actually do it?
They claim it is possible but I can't find anybody who actually did it.

2. Audi a4 2.7TDI Swap engines (TRANSMISSION ADAPTER PLATE, VR6 TO AUDI QUATTRO TRANS)
- I can easily buy an a4 2.7TDI(Untill 2004) (that's the toughest Transimison since high NM in low RPM
(I believe)***
BUT how will all the dashboards heating windows ETC work?

3. Audi Quattro DIF/Gearbox into Bora with an inverted engine to Longtitudal positon
-Did anyone actually ever do it?
-Is this possible?

Which solution is the most efficient and realistic?

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
there are clutch kits for that power for your engine and gearbox ( i've even seen higher power ones)... it is the easiest solution.. but very expensive, however it does save you from a shit load of headaches... do your research and look at VW R32 and V6 tuners offerings regarding the clutch... you'll find what you need quick enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. Yes, there are. but I'm asking for a Gearbox that can handle the DMG.
A clutch that can handle that is an easy find.

We have quite a few pumped vr6 around here(Bulgaria) and they all suffer from weak gearboxes. Breaking 4th 5th or Fork.

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
If they got the 6 speed it hasn't got a fork... if they are 5 speed than yes the fork will break.

Imho upgrade to a 6 speed if you got a 5 speed gearbox (you'll have a higher top speed too) that is way easier and tada just get an upgraded clutch...

The mix and match you want to do won't work because there is no space in the golf for a longitudinal gearbox... unless you seriously hack up the shell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stock i have the stronger 6-speed gearbox code: DRP is there a way to reinforce it somehow?
I read about cryogenic freezing?
I can also Forge it (heat up) and afterward Cryogenic freeze the gears
Or any other tips?

Labor around here is inexpensive and I have friends who are doing drag cars and srs projects.So cutting a chassis and doing Frankenstein things is actually possible

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I truly agree with that. But I would like to drive a car/engine that I can service and maintain easily. AKA cheap
The rx8 is far away from my budget and I have limited myself to a car that is not more than a month's salary or two.
As well I dislike rotor engines due to their poor reliability. If they were that good we were not going to use straight 6 for the most durable boats.

As well I just bought the Bora for this project. Give me a break it's my 3rd car and I have 1 motorcycle :D which I hardly drive since I am a Captain in the US.

Do you have any useful tips about reinforcing the Gearbox?
If we cut the chassis on top of the Torsen differential (a4) and plant it inside the Bora, then rotate the engine it might be the most reliable and easy achievable no?

Thanks for your opinion brother you are the only one in 5 forums actually telling me something :D

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
I truly agree with that. But I would like to drive a car/engine that I can service and maintain easily. AKA cheap
The rx8 is far away from my budget and I have limited myself to a car that is not more than a month's salary or two.
As well I dislike rotor engines due to their poor reliability. If they were that good we were not going to use straight 6 for the most durable boats.

As well I just bought the Bora for this project. Give me a break it's my 3rd car and I have 1 motorcycle :D which I hardly drive since I am a Captain in the US.

Do you have any useful tips about reinforcing the Gearbox?
If we cut the chassis on top of the Torsen differential (a4) and plant it inside the Bora, then rotate the engine it might be the most reliable and easy achievable no?

Thanks for your opinion brother you are the only one in 5 forums actually telling me something :D
I meant to say audi r8 aka the v10 fsi engine... anyway if you can get the gearbox to fit the engine than rotating the engine will be the easiest option... I agree it just means creating support for the engine mountsand gearbox and in doing so you can actually beef up the complete front as you'll need to brace it anyway.

Don't forget that the back will need the same... other than that I wouldn't bother to much with the original 2.8 gearbox especially id it is the old 5 speed... get another one that is 6 speed, create an adaptor plate and make it fit than put the engine longitudinal... brace the lot and you should be done... one thing that comes with turning the engine will be that you might have to look at an dully electrical powersteering setup as the oem engine powered one might be in the way... look at opel corsa powersterring of that is the case ... it is 100% electric and will fit... with some simple modifications ( bracket welding, did it to a mk1 golf convertible that got a vr6 engine but it was easier to go electric power steering than get the full hydraulic powersteering setup on the engine, it also made it faster as there was less strain on the engine because of it)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes v10 FSI I LIKE, But we are a poor country and we don't have that much experience yet with this beast. As well I am not that rich YET.

About the vr6/ Quattro thing u recommend using the 6speed of the bora? It wouldn't fit and it is way weaker than a a4 2.7tdi which handles 400nm at 1500rpm 6 speed manual again?

About mounting and reinforcing that's clear. They sell ready Plate, starters, and flywheel

About the steering from which generation Corsa you are saying?

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
I took mine from the the 4th gen, but the 5th and 6th gen are also fully electric

No get the 6 speed from the audi 2.7tdi make an adaptor plate, fit engine longitudinal make all needed adaptions. ( might need to lengthen the engine loom and reroute coolant pipes or make them longer) but as I recall there is an audi with a vr6 a 3.0l engine that is longitudinal anyway... so that gearbox might fit straight on... look at b5/ b6 generation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately, b5 b6 does not offer the vr6 longitudinal nor does Passat.
*they claim its vr6 but its actually V6
Oh god, it was going to be way easier if we had that engine in an a4/Passat chassis.
**They are quite a few vr6 swaps in audis actually many of them are well documented

My only concern is if we rearrange the engine room of the Bora, reroute pipes coolant ac, and all the auxiliary bulls**t.
The engine itself will move noticeably to one side of the car. Will that change the balance? Even tho most of the weight will fall on the centerline of the Gearbox connection being (Midship).

Will it be stable and drivable without a ruined center of forces or how can we make it possible?

Tomorrow I will go and ask around some top-end electricians (we are very advanced in electronics and IT stuff/bypass and everything doggy around here). If we can somehow keep the a4 ECU. Put the engine and VW ECU + Megasquirt.
a4 original ECU to work the AC and auxiliary electronics that sounds easier than the other way around.

Any other info input from anyone is more than welcome

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
i know of 2 builds ( sadly these aren't here in the UK but in the Netherlands and not online) that have done it and from their experience the vr6 engine slapped longitudinal doesn't upset the balance but does requires better(upgraded) shocks.. and they didn't mess about and got fully adjustable coilovers (that have both in- and outbound settings and camber adjustment plates on the top)

They've managed to get the vr6 engine running of the oem mk4 ecu with the quattro setup... how they did it in detail i don't know as they never said or explained but somehow they messed about with the software and got the lot working right. No piggy-backing of other ecu's so if they did it than there must be away of doing it yourself. They also took some time with the wiring looms to get the lot working ( splicing in the quattro ecu as the connector was different)

other than that i have no hands on experience with the lot... as for beefing up the OEM mk4 gearbox, your ideas are sound and should work, but maybe it's possible to put the gearing from the 2.7tdi inside the box... ( i doubt it as the housing is completely different) but as i said i have no hands on experience with the 2.7tdi gearbox myself... I just know it has been done and it is possible if you hack up the shell and make it fit...

And i haven't seen anyone here do it or put up a project like what you have in mind., you can be the first to do so ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Some update, after talking to everyone around I found a guy who reinforced the Stock gearbox and changed the Final drives with Diesel ones. it holds more than 500whp everyday abuse for 6 months(until now and I will get an update in OCT) he will go up to 800WHP.

From what he explained :

Lower Shaft ratio-Less NM divided across a longer work range
He reinforced the first Final drive because the gearbox always quits on gear No. 4

He will do my gearbox in Oct and then the project will start
It will run daily on 360WHP and if it brakes I will consider the a4 (Actually 2.5TDI Swap) since it's the strongest gearbox and 4x4 available.

See pictures attached

***Everything between the diesel gearbox (100-150HP Diesel) and VR6(Gasoline one) mk4 is interchangeable!!!

The project will start in OCT so regular updates will start.

Any explanation of what he did will be appreciated because he is a very busy piston head(Business owner) who will do me a favour to do my gearbox and then probably explain his whole concept.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And yes my mistake its 2.5 TDI. Still, that sounds like the most reliable option but I would like to swap the vr6 into the a4.
Currently, I am searching for an ECU magician who can create some kind of motherboard or device(emulator) to lie to the a4 ECU in order to remain functional. (Air-con windows/Speedometer etc.)

Then I can easily swap the engines and put a Bora ECU+Mega.

And finally, what do you think about the Gears(Gear-Wheels of the Diesel gearbox(Forgive my English)) Do you believe they are tougher than the Gasoline ones or made from a different material? I can't find any reliable info on the subject.

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
actually looked into it and from what i've read it is a common thing to make the gearboxes last longer... now for me it just means you mess with the gear ratios ( they are longer so you'll stay in them longer) that to me means less gear changes so they'll last longer... ware will be a bit less too but not because they are stronger, more likely because the ware is less from changes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts