Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of changing the BMW and this is my favourite (this week)

I have driven a 2.4 turbo and it was really nice

What do you guys think of them??

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Very nice car...nice proportions, good spec, fast, last for ages, safe. Just not pushing my buttons though...its ever so slightly odd looking but I think I like it, a bit quirky and the dash is nasty...centre console by Aiwa? Mind you its discreet and powerful rather than brash BMW if you are hoping to get away from that...and quick too!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just no a Volvo man myself but its a good car

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I test drove the S60 2.4t and the BMW on the same day;

BMW plus points - better looking, better residuals, quality cabin, superb handling

S60 plus points - more refined (surprisingly), much much quicker, loads of toys, very comfortable

I preferred the S60 at the time, but the residuals perspective and the fact that the wife wanted the BMW swung it

Ho hum..............

·
Registered
703 Posts
i like it a lot, just for a pretty large car it lack interior space and was too expensive compared to the bora... as we were initially going for one...

the plastics arent upto the germans, but erginomics (sp?) are great, and the seat amazingly comfortable... the ride seemed a bit shaky around down, but no more thudding than the bora... and that was an s60 with massive alloys...

i say go for it... also fewer on the road.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Tobmob - i would go for the new Saab 9-3 or a year old 9-5 Aero HOT (estate looks nice too).

Have driven the 9-5 Saloon Aero HOT - 220 something bhp and gut-wrenching torque make it a mile-eater.

Fantastic (probably the best) seats and solid lovely leather-clad interiors.

Unique styling and strong everything.

Tunable (Abbott Racing) but residuals on the 9-5 are poorer than the 9-3.

Great if you're after a bargain 2-3 year old car.

Previous shape 9-3 has dodgy chassis, esp the Aero - too much oomph.

Cabs look awesome.

TWR do some breathed-on models - your fave colour too! YELLOW!!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yeah a mate of mine, just had to reject his Leon 20VT, and has the new Jag on his list the 2.5 4WD version, a Mondeo underneath. LOL I did ask if it came with a flat cap on the option list. He is also thinking of an S3 or the 9-3 SAAB.

He also fancied a new Mini but the boot is too small for the kit that he has to carry and sometime leave in the car.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Ahh! he must have to carry a tooth brush round with him then Paul...

I just hope my laptop will fit in the boot of my mini when it arrives [:D]

I had a v40 T4 (is that the estate?) for 9 weeks a couple of years ago that was a company car, OMG hello torque steer, possibley the most entertaining car that I have driven in a long time. No one ever suspected that it was a goer at the traffic light grand prix - Excellant, it was an estate in a metallic orange colour. On the down side I did pull out to over take an old bird down a country lane and booted it from 15mph and promptley ended up in a hedge due to the wheels having a mind of thier own (I suppose what do you expect when you let the dummy drive). Excellant car, I have very fond memories of that volvo...

J.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by marriedblonde

The only problem with the Saab 93 is that it is basically a vectra underneath...
I think that the latest 9-3 has been drastically improved over earlier models.

I don't think you could fault much on the Saabs build quality, so perhaps even VW could learn a few lessons here!

Trouble is, with Volvo's you get a free Cardigain, Pipe and Slippers to go with it........can't be more honest than that! - just my 2p

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having owned a yellow Skoda Octavia and a BMW I've learnt to ignore such cutting remarks [;)]

Mmmmm...........S60

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sorry compardre......I know you're of the Rushden Massiv and all - on my home terf, etc, but I can't say it does anything for me mate.....

Not even big allys and a phat twin-pipe can carry off the odd styling.

I'm not a massive BM idol either, but some of the 3-series coupes are quite stunning.

(Off topic but i passed three trailer-loads of Z4's this morning Northbound M1....those wing mounted 'emblem' indicator repeaters are a bit pinball wizard aren't they??)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I had avoided posting this yesterday - whilst the T4 I was driving was very entertaining I was always embarressed to fill up with fuel or pop to the local shop in it - They might think it was actually my car!!! Instead I used to take Claires mx5 which whilst being extremeley girly was the lesser of 2 evils. LOL now look at me I've bought a hair dressers car (but I did spec tinted windows [;)] so no one can actually see me)

I do like the look of the new s60 but I suppose I am just a victim of fashion as I wouldn't personally own one, saying that I wouldn't drive a skoda either. Stupid really as I know they are both really good cars. Just to shallow I guess.

J.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't know much about the S60, but I've been in several S40 T4s and V70 T5s and all I can say is that they are VERY VERY rapid and extremely comfortable.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by spanner

I don't know much about the S60, but I've been in several S40 T4s and V70 T5s and all I can say is that they are VERY VERY rapid and extremely comfortable.
Just like a very, very fast sofa [:D]

J.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you just want speed and aren't bothered about style then there are plenny of other quick mota's about y'know.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts