Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this, it's from last week and shows the most reliable make of car down to the least reliable.

From What Car so make of it what you like!

Shows VW and all our niggles are taken notice of!

Don't think we can slate alfa's anymore!! Plus, when Rover is more reliable, it's time to think about jumping ship!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
If i told you it wouldn't suprise me what would you say lol.. but i have to say it depends on the individual car aswell.. as my mums GTI touchwood not one things gone wrong on it.. apart from [:p] the dreaded maf and a leak with the sunroof pipe everything else is mint [y] unlike mine and sonnys tdis which were forever having lights flashing etc...

Sat [y]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Interesting to see that Citroen are so reliable.  I remember when my dad had a company Xantia years ago it was never out the garage.  Also, see that VW is the most reliable out the VAG Group with Audi last.  That is a bit of a shock, especially as I'm considering maybe changing next year.  Looks like the Civic may be a winner for me now.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Haha! my Audi is the crappest out of the VAG range for reliability, glad to see all that extra cash went somewhere....[:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VOLKSWAGEN 17th
2005 position 15th
Claims per 100 vehicles 33.1
Average age 4.7 years
Average mileage 52,472
Average repair cost ?273
Average repair time2.4 hours

Problem areas
About 38% of '95-'00 Sharans needed work, which was the highest claim rate of any VW, although there was no single problem with the MPV that stood out from the others.

Overall, more than 34% of Volkwagens needed work, and the suspension proved to be the main culprit. This particular area accounted for 41% of repair work to '97-'05 Passats, 35% of '92-'97 Golfs and 31% of '94-'00 Polos. Engine problems afflicted 25% of '92-'97 Golfs that had repairs.

On average, labour rates are ?52 an hour, and you can reasonably expect a VW to be in the workshop for three hours.

Best model Polo ('94-'00)
Worst model Sharan ('95-'00)

Verdict **
You'd think VW would be reliable, but its ageing population of cars has pushed the marque down the list.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AUDI- 22nd
2005 position 28th
Claims per 100 vehicles 41.1
Average age 4.4 years
Average mileage 51,975
Average repair cost ?373
Average repair time 2.6 hours

Problem areas
Electrical faults and suspension problems each account for a quarter of all claims on the Audis surveyed. The desirable TT is the worst Audi in the survey, with 50% of all cars needing attention, while the least troublesome model is the A4 ('01-'05), with only 14% of cars suffering a failure.

The Audis in our survey tended to do a higher-than-average mileage in a year, while the average repair bill worked out as ?350, but it is possible to spend a four-figure sum if something major goes wrong.

Best model A4 ('01-'05)
Worst model TT ('99-'05)

Verdict *
For a company that prides itself on quality this is a disappointing result, although it is better than last year's.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
that list looks spot on to me... of all the cars eithere me or my family have had one of the marques... Honda was awesome, even though I did have a problem they managed to put a new gearbox in an accord type r in 2 days flat, and when my service book was knicked they gave me one for free and had it stamped up for nothing...

also my pugs were pretty reliable rattly but reliable

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Hmm a bit surprising in a way. Good to see Bmw quite high up there [y] I cannot believe Alfa is where they are, i wouldve though theyd be at bottom... put it this way theres a Alfa Indy round the corner from my work and every car goes in on recovery all with major engine work. Quite surprised a little indy keeps Alfa engines in stock!

Also surprised to see Audi lower than VW. Mini near the top too...whattt?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Hmm a bit surprising in a way. Good to see Bmw quite high up there [y] I cannot believe Alfa is where they are, i wouldve though theyd be at bottom... put it this way theres a Alfa Indy round the corner from my work and every car goes in on recovery all with major engine work. Quite surprised a little indy keeps Alfa engines in stock!

Also surprised to see Audi lower than VW. Mini near the top too...whattt?
i thought that about mini too my mums has been atrociuos , with all kinds falling off it

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'm not really that surprised about any of it - seems about right. A lot does depend on where it's assembled too - aren't Golfs from South Africa meant to be a bit pants?

I'd like to see what this is based on though? As people are quicker to complain than not, if you see what I mean.

As for Mini - after driving to Italy and back in one I think it was fine, however, there's a Europe-wide recall on some R51 Coopers due to melting looms etc. - it hasn't quite made it over the channel yet - probably because of the huge cost to fix it! Interestingly covered up!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really? I would've thought VW would come top then because they're always worming their way out of warranty issues!
VW would not release this type of information, it's damaging for them.

This is from warranties you can buy, think it Warranty Direct. They then take a percentage, so 33 out of 100 people who have a warranty direct package have claimed via it.

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
I'm not all surprised by the last three,everyone I know who has had new or newish Renaults has spent more time at their dealers than they have out of them,whereas those that are still smoking round in 15 year old Ren.5s have never had any trouble with them.I used to do some work for my local Land Rover dealer,and when customers came in to the service department,they didn't have just one fault,but normally had at least an A5 sheet to remember all of them,and if you asked any of their mechanics the one make of car they'd never,ever want to own,not surprisingly it was a Land Rover.

Chris.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Seeing the Japs fill most of the top spots is no suprise but what's really shocked me is VW being behind 2 French manufacturers, they're normally right at the bottom

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
On average, labour rates are ?52 an hour, and you can reasonably expect a VW to be in the workshop for three hours.
Wow! If this was the rate at my local VW dealer, I might still be using them!! ?90 p/h here...

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Interesting reading, but not a true reflection I'd say, not all warranty claims are justified, or even honoured.

I've had 1 claim on mine in the 3 a bit yrs I've had her, that was the climate fans, which isnt a suprise

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I find it really bizarre how Honda are top of this league table and yet their F1 racer is one of the most unreliable cars of 2006 season.

But anyway, i cannot believe how low VW and Audi came.....to say a rover is more reliable than a golf is quite frankly embarrasing.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I find it really bizarre how Honda are top of this league table and yet their F1 racer is one of the most unreliable cars of 2006 season.

But anyway, i cannot believe how low VW and Audi came.....to say a rover is more reliable than a golf is quite frankly embarrasing.
I read in one car mag that most Jap car firms reliability can be traced to their obsession with aligning shafts (crankshaft, big end, little end etc) as accurately as possible. I guess what the article (which was a bit dumbed down) was referring to was the rotating mass of the engine being balanced. I guess if a crankshaft is slightly out, overtime it will fail.

I'm not saying that VW can't make engines as reliable its just they would really cost a fortune!! Honda's are great cars and very reliable but don't feel German. The doors, don't feel heavy, the seats feel soft. You won't see a massive tips and tricks post on a Honda forum, but neither will you see the 'common faults' post either!!!

As for the Honda F1, yes but towards the end they were testing their engines on the track to be in the best place for the '07 engine freeze.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts