Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People are starting to talk about Windows Vista now. Just wondering if any of you are going to upgrading when it's avaliable? Or have already with a BETA version?

I'll wait arounda year before I bother with on my PC due to all the bugs that come with it when it's new, possibly wait for service pack 2 to come out for it.

Anyone got it or getting it though and can tell us why it's worth upgrading?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
i'm actually keen to get this one and i think i'll actually purchase this OS

but deffo not when it comes out, wait for the first service pack first

i've seen it running and it looks swish

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I really like the "Aeroglass" look of Vista,so I'm quite looking forward to it,as I've had someting similar with Stardocks Windowblinds for some time now.Doesn't Vista need HUGE amounts of memory though,and I'm sure I heard someone say that whilst using it his HDD was constantly active?

Chris.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
it needs a decent graphics/mem spec to run the full aero look

i think the constant hdd access is something they had to sort out

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm tempted because it does look really nice, but i'm pretty sure after a couple of weeks when the novelty has worn off, I'll be turning off all the bells and whistles the same way I do in XP. Performance > aesthetics and I'll probably wait until SP1 at least.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm running a beta version on my dual socket dual core Opteron machine at work. I wasn't impressed with XP when it came out (just seemed like a bloated version of Windows 2000 to me) but Vista is very good. However, I won't be upgrading my home PC to it any time soon. Vista hasn't got very good backwards compatibility with older games so I'll be staying with XP for some time yet.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
That and the fact that MS spend 70% of technology increases adding "clever effects" and 20% on anything useful. The other 10% is wasted in new bugs.

I'll end up on Vista, it's inevitable (evolution etc), but I won't be rushing. I want my PC to run, not chug(!)

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That and the fact that MS spend 70% of technology increases adding "clever effects" and 20% on anything useful. The other 10% is wasted in new bugs.

I'll end up on Vista, it's inevitable (evolution etc), but I won't be rushing. I want my PC to run, not chug(!)

C
Exactly. With you on this one. Were old skool young un's! Didnt upgrade from 98 to XP for at least a year. As soon as I upgraded to XP I got used to waiting 10 mins to be able to actually use my computer. That is unless I format it, then it loads up real fast for about 2 weeks!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts

C
Exactly. With you on this one. Were old skool young un's! Didnt upgrade from 98 to XP for at least a year. As soon as I upgraded to XP I got used to waiting 10 mins to be able to actually use my computer. That is unless I format it, then it loads up real fast for about 2 weeks!
I ran NT longer than I did 98 mate [;)]

2000 was around years, I think it was 18 monthsb efore XP hit a desktop (and mainly cos I got a corporate no activation copy). If I don't get the same on Vista, well, we'll see [:)]

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a good point. I will never buy Vista. I'll wait for when the NHS provides it as you can legally bootleg it for a few quid as an NHS employee. I think it will be a LONG time until the NHS moves onto it, as more and more stuff is done through computers now, major major problems changing over!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
My lot haven't even eradicated NT yet, let alone started the full blown rollout of XP! [:S]

C

EDIT: I think we've still got Bravo (netware machine) kicking around in one building somewhere, and we're turning a Banyan Vines server off in a couple weeks [:cool:]

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had Vista RC2 installed on my craptop (Duo Dell) for two or so weeks now and just today have downgraded to XP.

It looks and runs well but has quite a few faults and bugs still - too many for me for daily use.

IR transfer seems flawed...8/10 seems to crash and then get stuck in a loop.

Newer BlueTooth 2 doesn't work well...if at all! It was unreliable and annoying. I believe some have had success with older BT modules and drivers but I couldn't get mine to work reliably.

There was an issue with disconnecting the craptop from the mains - this would cause a BSOD. MS are well aware of this one with many laptops and promise to fix on later releases. Dell had that many complaints that they have updated their BIOS for many of their machines just to fix this "feature". Installing the BIOS A05 for mine has fixed this fault for now.

I will probably upgrade when it comes out - it is an improvement from XP for sure. Office 2007 seems settled now and they ironed those bugs out really quickly. I'd recommened Office 2007 if you are in the market for this sort of app...It's a MASSIVE improvement and has LOADS of really nice features.

Personally I'd stick with XP for now - You could always install IE7 for now to keep you happy!

:)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
There is no way I am downgrading to Vista for at least a year.  I had loads of issues with it on my high end PC.  I thought it was 100% style over substance.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is no way I am downgrading to Vista for at least a year. I had loads of issues with it on my high end PC. I thought it was 100% style over substance.
Let's face it though, the market want's style. It's something that Bill had to do to carry on being a success. Plenty of people I talk to have chose a MAC because 'it looks better'.

I couldn't care what my computer looks like, I want it to do it's job, fast and with the least hassle. But, I work with PC's. I don't use a PC at the weekend as a plaything, i got the Xbox for that [:p]

I think though, Bill has done the right thing from a business approach in making it stylish. And basically copying Apple's footsteps.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
WITHOUT people jumping in and converting to a PC vs MAC debate - is Apple's "looking good" speedy and functional though?? Cos that's where MS falls flat on it's anus!

C

·
Registered
192 Posts
WITHOUT people jumping in and converting to a PC vs MAC debate - is Apple's "looking good" speedy and functional though??? Cos that's where MS falls flat on it's anus!

C
?

This reply comes via a Macbook Pro and Safari browser (wow the sky has not fallen in and I am back living in a mud hut lol) , have a PC as well but will be upgrading to Leopard long before Vista gets bought. If I buy a new PC with Vista installed all well and good but aint forking out the cash for an upgrade.
Really annoying thing about Microsoft is that you have to pay EXTRA for some of the advanced features like the fancy new *graphics engine that does not come in the basic version
*this is similar to Mac OSX Coreimage that I have er um been using for 18 months lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
And another thing Digital Rights Management has been taken to new levels in Vista
And dont count on your semi pirated version of Office you got from work still running after Vista fires up ;)

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
And another thing Digital Rights Management has been taken to new levels in Vista
And dont count on your semi pirated version of Office you got from work still running after Vista fires up ;)
Validation, validation and more validation!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts