Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my viro-sol delivered.

Tried it NEAT on a few little specs of brake dust that i cant quite shift on my wheels......nothing.

Tried it neat on my dads mondeo wheels where the brake dust is a huge problem, almost corroded on, nothing.

am i missing something here?...i used it on a piece of kitchen towel, and wiped/rubbed it on with that as a test.

it did nothing that soap and water, or indeed water, couldn't do.

have i just wasted ?17?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I had Santas when I first used mine - They were absolutely caked with
brake dust. All i done was spray it on neat, left for about 3 mins they
jet washed off - Jus a few little specks remained.

It's never let me down since . . .

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I used it the other week to do my old Golf and it works a treat.. Try leaving it for a bit?? I normally do the four wheels with the virosol and a toothbrush and go back to the first wheel and wash it down..

I didnt use the Virosol neat mine was about 50/50 with warm water...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
PMSL ... almost corroded wheels and you used KITCHEN TOWEL ??

Would you get out to that shed, get a wheel brush and agitate the bloody dirt after you've sprayed on Virosol!!

[walks off shaking his head /]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was only as a test!!

i was working via portable floodlight at nine at night, i only tested it on the gap between two spokes, not the whole wheel.

mind you, it didn't do anything on my wheels, and thats only about five pin pricks of brake dust......

going to try spraying it on i spose.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You have got to spray it on, leave it for a while, then agitate it with a soft brish then spray it off.

For the first use I would use it neat, espially if the wheels are as bad as you say (although it won't get rid of corrosion), then after that use ot 1:4 or similar.

Does work, honest!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I found viro-sol / MC2 is better with hot water.  It seems to help it lift the dirt better.  You definitely need to leave it to soak and also to agitate it after for best results.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
?17 sounds a bit steep - was there not somewhere selling it for like a
fiver? Or have they cottoned on to demand & put the price up...

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
?17 sounds a bit steep - was there not somewhere selling it for like a fiver? Or have they cottoned on to demand & put the price up...
the product was about ?7.....postage is harsh!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I use it neat, sprayed on generously onto wet/dampened wheels... leave
for 5-10mins, and it then washes off with ease using a sponge. My
wheels are normally BLACK by the time i do them and Virisol brings them
up brand new, and so so easy too.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I use it neat, sprayed on generously onto wet/dampened wheels... leave for 5-10mins, and it then washes off with ease using a sponge. My wheels are normally BLACK by the time i do them and Virisol brings them up brand new, and so so easy too.
Yeh that's another good thing.. you can use a sponge (I suggest not the same one you wash the car with though folks!) to get just as good results as a brush. I sponged mine when I got the Golf as I was worried about scratching the 18s but I'm back using a brush and just wipe with the grain of the wheel.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
?17 sounds a bit steep
- was there not somewhere selling it for like a fiver? Or have they
cottoned on to demand & put the price up...
Wow, where did you get it from - that jantastic place? (well remembered Mr T!)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
?17 sounds a bit steep - was there not somewhere selling it for like a fiver? Or have they cottoned on to demand & put the price up...
Wow, where did you get it from - that jantastic place? (well remembered Mr T!)
I thank yow. [:p] I just consulted "Dan's great list of vw and car detailing url's" [:)]

·
Registered
942 Posts
That isn't too bad really, as there was another site I looked at and it came to around ?22 for the product and postage.

How much is it with postage from jantastic?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I know of a place that sells it for about ?4.80 plus VAT for 5 litres - our cleaner at work uses it so we buy it regularly;

A.J & J.F Cole - Market Harborough

Though I dont know what postage cost would be?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
ya have to work it in to the wheels , as the same with all wheel cleaners , use an old paint brush and just paint it on then work it into the more grubby areas , leave for 10 - 15 mins and wash it off they should come up nice [:D]

Just showing the wheels the bottle wont work [;)]

·
Registered
521 Posts
I know of a place that sells it for about ?4.80 plus VAT for 5 litres - our cleaner at work uses it so we buy it regularly;

A.J & J.F Cole - Market Harborough

Though I dont know what postage cost would be?
If you want to find a stockest near you, just email Clover Chemicals [email protected] and ask them, that's all I did and there is a place about 12 miles from me that delivers in the local area on Thursday for free!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts