Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My remapped 2005 gti is coming up for its second service at 29k.

What are your views on the longlife service. I am not happy about leaving the oil so long without being changed. Also VW want ?260 for the service so i am thinking about letting Awesome service it for a lot less and in my view a better job. If i do this will it have much affect on the resale value?

Also I have a development Magnex exhaust on the car at the moment with suprising improvements. An extra 6bhp and 21 ft Ib torque. So with running a lot more power with the remap and exhaust would you recommend coming off the longlife service.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would stay on 'Longlife' personally with that kind of mileage & running more power.

Strange as it may sound I'd feel happier knowing that at least with that service setting the engine sensors are constantly checking the oil quality & then alert you to any potential deterioration.

The Time/Mileage service schedule ( 10,000 miles or 1 year ) as you probably know, is just a first past the post set-up & a ' lower' spec. oil is used so to speak.

I'd probably be a bit wary at buying such a car that had come off VW dealer servicing at just a year old, even though the independent can follow the same service schedule ( just how I feel. [Y])

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to run Mobil 1 oil at the service.  I have seen the longlife oil after a service and it looks like tar imo.  I think these longlife services that all major car manufactors now use is nothing more than a selling point to make servicing cheaper.  I know the fleet managers love the longlife because it saves them money. To me thats the only reason that they use longlife not because it is better for the car.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Mine's on long life at the mo, but at 10k I'm taking it in for it's first service and getting the dealer the switch to anual of 10k, Just not happy with 15k intervals.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am on long life and will be staying on long life - it is a lot cheaper than fixed servicing.  I doubt VW would recommend long life if it buggered up the car, the repercussions would be too high.  Even performance cars such as Porches now run on long life.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The only reason manufactueres offer the long life option is from a sales perspective, once one starts it they all do.They factor in there's unlikely to be any problems before three years of 60k miles.

I see engine components everyday, which have run too long between oil changes and they ain't pretty,having said that, if your the owner who changes threr car every 2/3 years, it not likely to give you problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I asked my dealer about the blackness of the oil in my GTi, they said that many customers had complained about this, but in fact, the black oil it is perfectly OK. (Yeah, right)

Mine has had one service at 17K, and now has covered 22K, and with the next service due at maybe 30K, I'm not happy with the state of the oil. I guess if money were no problem, then I'd just drop the GTi in for an oil change now, but I'm bug*ered if I'll pay ?140 for this privilege.

So I bought an oil sump extractor pump from ebay (?30), and plan to do an 'intermediate' oil change using Mobil-1. (The oil sump extractor just saves me getting underneath the car, and sucks the oil up through the dipstick, ).

So, for an additional cost of ?40 per 5 litres of Mobil-1, the engine oil can be changed every 8k... and using the pump, it should not be an arduous task....

Does this make sense? ( and is it OK to switch from Castrol SLX-II to Mobil-1?)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I asked my dealer about the blackness of the oil in my GTi, they said that many customers had complained about this, but in fact, the black oil it is perfectly OK. (Yeah, right)

Mine has had one service at 17K, and now has covered 22K, and with the next service due at maybe 30K, I'm not happy with the state of the oil. I guess if money were no problem, then I'd just drop the GTi in for an oil change now, but I'm bug*ered if I'll pay ?140 for this privilege.

So I bought an oil sump extractor pump from ebay (?30), and plan to do an 'intermediate' oil change using Mobil-1. (The oil sump extractor just saves me getting underneath the car, and sucks the oil up through the dipstick, ).

So, for an additional cost of ?40 per 5 litres of Mobil-1, the engine oil can be changed every 8k... and using the pump, it should not be an arduous task....

What will you do about the filter though Peter?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, I know that I really ought to change the filter, but then I have to jack up and get under the car, and frankly that's all too much of a faff... (I stopped servicing my own cars years ago !)  Adopting an easy  pump-it-out-the dipstick regime means I *will* actually change the oil between services!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It does make sense, but if I was going to do that i would not switch oil. I think the Castrol is a good oil I just don't like it going around the engine for up to 18-20k

If I came off the longlife all together I would use Mobil 1 though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I see engine components everyday, which have run too long between oil changes and they ain't pretty,having said that, if your the owner who changes threr car every 2/3 years, it not likely to give you problems.
What components are these and what horrible effects would you expect to see if the oil was not changed frequently enough?

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What components are these and what horrible effects would you expect to see if the oil was not changed frequently enough?

Stuart
http://www.radox.freeserve.co.uk/vwgolfmk5.htm
I work for a motorsport engineering company and inspect cylinder heads and valve train assemblies regularly, camshafts in particular, more often than not its things like the hydraulic lifters that clog up causing compression leakage, we also see distressing of the cam lobes, some race engine builders simply won't use synthetic oils, as they say componants don't lap in correctly.

Although I agree, modern oils are very good, I think 15k miles is a long time to suspend carbon deposites and harfull acids.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi Mate

I was a service manager at a Skoda dealer when this first came out.

I myself was not impressed with the time scale or mileage scale on these services.

Myself personally I would much prefer my car checked over every year or 10k miles.

I will average 36k just from working miles and I would not consider variable services myself.

You find that diesel oil does go dark quite quickly too.

Sarah

·
Registered
591 Posts
I agree with what you say about race cars and maybe the same ill effects would occur in a road car's engine if it's oil was not changed as required. Personally though I'm happy to trust the flexible longlife service regieme. We pay £40+ for the longlife oil and in paying for our car we have paid for the oil quality sensor and associated systems. If the car tells me it can go 18,600 miles between services, I'm happy to believe it and get my money's worth.

Finally, I'm sure owner's would have a good case against manufacturers if their car's told them to have a service too infrequently. In fact I'd bet to cover themselves the car is programmed to err on the side of caution and indicate a service is required sooner rather than later.

By all means if people feel more comfortable changing their car's oil more regularily, that's fine but personally I think for most people's driving situations, this is unnecessary.

Stuart

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I agree with what you say about race cars and maybe the same ill effects would occur in a road car's engine if it's oil was not changed as required. Personally though I'm happy to trust the flexible longlife service regieme. We pay ?40+ for the longlife oil and in paying for our car we have paid for the oil quality sensor and associated systems. If the car tells me it can go 18,600 miles between services, I'm happy to believe it and get my money's worth.

Finally, I'm sure owner's would have a good case against manufacturers if their car's told them to have a service too infrequently. In fact I'd bet to cover themselves the car is programmed to err on the side of caution and indicate a service is required sooner rather than later.

By all means if people feel more comfortable changing their car's oil more regularily, that's fine but personally I think for most people's driving situations, this is unnecessary.

Stuart
I 100% agree.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I understand your point of view, which is fine , I just happen to see thing from a different angle, being involved in the industry, we also do road cams, which is more relevant to this post.don't think because your being charged ?40 for oil, it's in some way superior.

I look at it this way, if you ran your engine on only LPG, the oil would never go black, thus your oil condition sensor would never see a reason to flash up"you need a service" however the oil still degenerating.

If a manufacturer wants to decide on long life servicing, then they can also factor in when the oil condition sensor, displays "service is due"

·
Registered
310 Posts
Personally if it was me I would leave the car in long life but change the oil in between the services on a remapped car I would say every 5k after all in the bigger picture ?50 every 5k isn't asking much to keep the oil in good nick. Even if I put the car on fixed servicing I would still put the long life oil in as its higher quailty than the fixed service oil.

I would stick to VW recommended oil though which I think Mobil 1 isn't, as this is what the engine has been designed to run with and tested on for 1000s of miles by VW.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I understand your point of view, which is fine , I just happen to see thing from a different angle, being involved in the industry, we also do road cams, which is more relevant to this post.don't think because your being charged £40 for oil, it's in some way superior.

I look at it this way, if you ran your engine on only LPG, the oil would never go black, thus your oil condition sensor would never see a reason to flash up"you need a service" however the oil still degenerating.

If a manufacturer wants to decide on long life servicing, then they can also factor in when the oil condition sensor, displays "service is due"
As someone else has just said, I don't think the £40 oil is superior but it is what the engine manufacturer recommends.

Not sure of the relevance of your LPG comment to a TDI engine.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I understand your point of view, which is fine , I just happen to see thing from a different angle, being involved in the industry, we also do road cams, which is more relevant to this post.don't think because your being charged ?40 for oil, it's in some way superior.

As someone else has just said, I don't think the ?40 oil is superior but it is what the engine manufacturer recommends.

Not sure of the relevance of your LPG comment to a TDI engine.

Stuart
I was outlining an example to point out, just because an oils clean, doesn't mean it's doing it's job, to full potential.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts