Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
What is the rabbit? Is it like a 2.5 Polo? I don't think it looks like a Polo though, or a Golf? Am I making sense?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
It's a Golf, but in the States Rabbit might be the GTi. I'm not too sure on that bit though.
I thought that, but they have a Golf GTi in the states too, though they call it a "GTI" - no Golf. I think that's why the MkV's are just badged GTI, with no Golf.

Have a look at www.vw.com

Is the Rabbit a stripped-down, 5-door GTI maybe?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
[ The Rabbit, or Golf as it is well known throughout the rest of the world. ] Just got this wee quote from a quick search on google , must just be what the golf is called over there?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Actually, it can't be a stripped down GTi as it has a 2.5 150bhp engine in it? Is it the eguivalent of a V5 MkIV> God I dunno!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
[ The Rabbit, or Golf as it is well known throughout the rest of the world. ] Just got this wee quote from a quick search on google , must just be what the golf is called over there?
Look on the vw.com website and it show the GTi and Rabbit as 2 different cars - Rabbit is 2.5 150bhp, GTi is 2.0 200bhp

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a Golf, but in the States Rabbit might be the GTi. I'm not too sure on that bit though.
I thought that, but they have a Golf GTi in the states too, though they call it a "GTI" - no Golf. I think that's why the MkV's are just badged GTI, with no Golf.

Have a look at www.vw.com

Is the Rabbit a stripped-down, 5-door GTI maybe?
GTIs don't have a Golf badge in the UK either.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Original MK1 Golf was called the Rabbit in the US (alognside the Fox). Idiotic marketing department have brought it back, and the MKV is called a Rabbit, not a Golf.

VW USA has always badged Golf GTIs simply as GTIs and markets them very seperately. Gullable yank kids have Daddy buy one and will swear blind is a different car to a Golf in the way an M3 is different to a 3 Series. Idiots.

So technically, a Golf GTI is a Rabbit GTI.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Right, I see. It all makes sense now. Thanks!

I remember loking on vw.com a few months ago, and under the 'Models' section, there was a GTI (MkV) and also a Golf, but they were MkIV's! And only available in 2.0 115bhp petrol, or 1.9 100bhp diesel!

'Those crazy yanks!'

1 - 19 of 19 Posts