Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When switching with an SPS back to stock, how stock is stock? i.e. How close is it to the true stock map - does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Think you'll find its a torque clamp.... the revo map doesn't sit along side the original one... you flash your ecu you wipe the original code... the chip in the ecu is a small SMT AMD (Advanced Micro Devices not AmD!) chip and couldn't hold both codes.....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Think you'll find its a torque clamp.... the revo map doesn't sit along side the original one... you flash your ecu you wipe the original code... the chip in the ecu is a small SMT AMD (Advanced Micro Devices not AmD!) chip and couldn't hold both codes.....
You're wrong, both maps sit side-by-side and are software switched. There is sufficient room in the EEPROM to accomodate both maps. Thats direct from REVO engineering.

Apology accepted.

How other remappers do it is their issue, I don't comment their approach.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh, see this is what I was getting at - is stock just a power-cap on the performance map to make it feel standard or is it really the standard map, but Mike sounds like you have hit the nail on the head.

My concern with with "stock" just being a power-cap is that it may just wind back the boost but all the other items such as timing, fueling, throttle pickup etc.. stay the same as the performance map so it isn't really stock at all - I'd assume that this is what happens with the load scaling factor in custom settings with Custom-Code?

How come Revo can have the two maps together but other perfomance maps don't?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I thought JBS Custom-Code were able to switch maps as well now? I'm sure I saw Sarah post something to this effect in January.

If you have the ability to switch, it makes sense to leave both maps in the ecu, on the diesels they hold three maps.

I have stock, Stage 1 and Stage 2 on my 2.0TDi and had the same setup on my old PD150.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the Custom-code switching is only available on the diesel pd maps, not 1.8t's.

Is it correct that since the whole staged offering from Revo came along (1,2,3) that the stage 1 map is equivalent to the old 4bar map? i.e. they managed to get the same figures and fuel flow without the need to upgrade the FPR, about 212bhp and 240lbs/ft? Or is it still the equivalent of the 3 bar figures, i.e. 207bhp and 232lbs/ft?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Stage 1 gives 207 and 232, Stage 2 requires the 4 bar fpr figures are dependant on FMIC and exhaust but typically 10-15% of the Stage 1 increase.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You're wrong, both maps sit side-by-side and are software switched. There is sufficient room in the EEPROM to accomodate both maps. Thats direct from REVO engineering.

Apology accepted.

Cough.... not a chance... the SPS unit switches between peramiters within the software changing caricteristics within it thus changing performance.. switching to what would feel like "non chipped" performance.. Revo also said that the code was undetctable!! already been down the path of trying to remove Revo from a friends TT... you cant! ECU has to be re-flashed or replaced. end of!

·
Registered
354 Posts

Apology accepted.

Cough.... not a chance... the SPS unit switches between peramiters within the software changing caricteristics within it thus changing performance.. switching to what would feel like "non chipped" performance.. Revo also said that the code was undetctable!! already been down the path of trying to remove Revo from a friends TT... you cant! ECU has to be re-flashed or replaced. end of!
And I'm sure you'd know!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
where would that leave people who have had the revo trial if it doesnt go back to vw stock ecu program??

invalid insurance ???

because even after your trial runs out it will still look as if the car is remapped with slightly different code?

but on the flip side, surely if you had the sps1 unit to switch your map back, then the insurers couldnt tell the difference between a revo trial that is on the cars ecu or the full working revo remap switched to standard mode.........

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
but on the flip side, surely if you had the sps1 unit to switch your map back, then the insurers couldnt tell the difference between a revo trial that is on the cars ecu or the full working revo remap switched to standard mode.........
But the performance program would still be in there to be seen if they look hard enough.

·
Registered
354 Posts
where would that leave people who have had the revo trial if it doesnt go back to vw stock ecu program??

invalid insurance ???

because even after your trial runs out it will still look as if the car is remapped with slightly different code?

It reverts to the stock map so no, your insurance isn't invalid, but you would have delared the mod anyway wouldn't you?

The reason that some remappers reflash the code to 'stock' is that their software only works on a 'stock' map, a Revo trial reverts to the stock map but the trial code is still in the ecu, just not referenced. It's the same way we can't reflash a Superchips, AMD, APR etc code without reflashing back to stock.

The trial code isn't switchable, it's built to revert to the stock map after 5 hours running time. The production code is switchable with the SPS units to revert to stock code.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
ahhh makes sense now. I presumed after scanning this thread that once the trial had run out it would revert back to revo stock 1.8t 150bhp prog instaed of the vw stock 150bhp ecu prog

I was just a bit worried............ as i had the trial b4 christmas and didnt want to have invalid insurance due to me not having a vw stock eco prog on my ecu

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
ahhh makes sense now. I presumed after scanning this thread that once the trial had run out it would revert back to revo stock 1.8t 150bhp prog instaed of the vw stock 150bhp ecu prog

I was just a bit worried............ as i had the trial b4 christmas and didnt want to have invalid insurance due to me not having a vw stock eco prog on my ecu
I'd still go carefull if I was you... I can see the insurance claim now..." Honestly Mr Acident Asesser/Huge Insurance Undewriter even though you found performance software/residue on my ECU I was running stock code the day I stacked it up the back of that M3 I was playing with on the M1... honest guv!"

Trial or full product theres nothing stock about your ECU afterwards...... dont care what they say their selling you a product.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not selling him anything! I'm answering questions and responding to misinformation.
mike is right, both maps reside in the ECU, when you change maps you tell the software to read a different map,basically changing a pointer address in the software. The maps themselves will not take up much room, they are only a list of numbers, the 'functional' software remains the same for both maps, and takes up most of the room.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts