Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

very high idle when warm

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  tricky91 
#1 ·
This started after I got the MOT check.

When the car is warm it idles at 1800rpm...occasionally dropping to normal idle temperature then shooting back up.

The car also hunts, as in if i dab the throttle it sticks on the same revs for a second before dying down.

If I doing 4000rpm and i put my foot on the clutch, it takes a second before the revs would drop down.

Anyone ever had this?

I bought a new Coolant Temp Sensor and will fit it soon, but wondering if it could be anything else?

Cheers!

#2 ·
i had the same problem, i cleaned my throttle body and the Coolant Temp Sensor and that solved my problem, 3 months down the line it's doing it again. so i'm not to sure what the problem is as i have just checked my tbh and it's clean. but yeah hopefully the Coolant Temp Sensor should solve your problem.

#12 ·
Right been poking around the car and found a split hose..but I have no idea what it is!

It's under the inlet manifold, to the very right. A small brown/gold pipe runs right under the inlet manifold to it, and it connects to a larger hose which plugs into the right hand side of the engine, think the larger hose is called the main breather pipe?

Any ideas what my split pipe is called so I can get it replaced? Got a big gash in it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.