Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
there's a little kind of knob on the inside left hand side of the filler hole as you put the pump in. push it down (inwards) with the pump nozzle and you will hear air escaping... then just pump away! [:I]

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Do this when you have put as much fuel as you can in then press the button you will hear the air then put some more fuel in.

·
Registered
796 Posts
ditto milkfloat

only do it if you're going on a long journey straight after filling. you don't want to leave fuel spillages all over the roads. I've nearly been off my bike on a diesel spill and it isn't amusing - its literally like ice

·
Registered
293 Posts
yeah but you have to pump, vent, pump, vent, pump, vent and it takes less and less each time.

IMO, not worth the hassle unless your filling up to go on a long journey straight away.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have tried this and can get an extra litre or 2 of petrol in, but I have not seen it on other cars and I am interested on what is happening.

Where exactly is it venting air from - the top of the tank?

And why does air get trapped, the fuel filler tube doesn't have a one way valve as far as I am aware.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by BlahBlahMan on 30/11/2004 16:58:49

yeah but you have to pump, vent, pump, vent, pump, vent and it takes less and less each time.

No you don't, gently hold the button down when filling and let the air come out as you fill, much faster.

Only be careful not to do it too quickly as the neck fills fast once the air has gone and it can splurge all over your shoes.....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
What I do is fill up as normal, & when you get your first "click" put the nozzle back in & push the button with the nozzle & keep it pressed in whilst filling, this way the air comes out as you fill & no need to get messy hands [:D]

From the red light coming on I can normaly get 62ltrs in the tank,& that takes me about 630miles on average[:D]

I think its a VW only thing I think [?]

·
Registered
131 Posts
mm interesting ...i get 630miles on a tank now..all motorway miles at btwn 50/75mph,cruise on,and when i fill up i can only get 54 litres in ...ill try the theory and if so at the rate the mfa no 2 setting shows 58.2mpg i should be able to go ...814 miles ? so 750 is realistic ..lol..ill keep u updated ..btw i thought 4motions where 62ltr tanks?...

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by budgie on 30/11/2004 18:43:39

mm interesting ...i get 630miles on a tank now..all motorway miles at btwn 50/75mph,cruise on,and when i fill up i can only get 54 litres in ...ill try the theory and if so at the rate the mfa no 2 setting shows 58.2mpg i should be able to go ...814 miles ? so 750 is realistic ..lol..ill keep u updated ..btw i thought 4motions where 62ltr tanks?...

I bet your getting that milage too, are you in "Driving Miss Daisy 2" by any chance [:D]

I think my problem is I have a heavy right foot, tend to cruise at 85-95mph m'way traffic permitting, plus my daily route involves city driving too, through brum,so its mostly stop/stop & a bit of start every now & again.

I know if I could keep off the right foot a bit I'd be quids in, but thats no fun, I can still go faster & further than if I had a 1.8T but for less [^].

[:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 01/12/2004 09:52:54

Is this just a diesel tank feature or do all golf tanks have this ?

Its just an oil burner thing im afraid.[:D]

Diesel doesnt need as much room to expand as much as petrol when it gets warm [:)] (so i understand)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts