Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all want to hang onto our cars, and I'm especially keen to hang onto my recently purchased anni. The majority come with cat 1s as standard, but what else do people use to secure their vehicles?

Does anyone use a disclock (steering wheel) to secure their car?

Anyone got any useful suggestions?

cheers

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I use a autolock, the one the covers your handbrake and goes round the gear stick (gear stick needs to be in 1st 3rd or 5th)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I use a disklock on mine, had it for about three cars. It's a bit of a pain to lift and fit but only use if overnight, and when leaving the car all day at the station. My girlfriend uses one as well on her convertible and you feel confident enough to leave it with the roof down when shopping as long as the Disklock is on.

They always get top marks in all the reviews of security stuff, but again if someone wants your car bad enough they'll get it whatever you fit!

·
Banned
774 Posts
Autolock- it's possible to remove easily by moving the gearstick around and twisting being a bit rough. Try it yourself I bet you can remove it without doing any damage at all. Failing that remove gearknob and then take away lock. Has little or no security value but might put off some junior scrote. About 5 secs to remove

Stoplock Pro- better but determined thieves just cut the steering wheel and slide it out. 30 secs to remove.

Disklok- better can't use either of the methods above to remove it, newest version take 30 mins for a locksmith to remove. If I'm going to leave it in a high risk area or for a long time in an airport carpark I use it to give me a little more peace of mind. About ?35 at Costco, ?60-70 elsewhere.

All this is info is freely available from your local crime prevention officer so no need to worry that I'm revealing security flaws, they are already well known to criminals. Also some forces were running a promotion on Diskloks and selling them at cost price to motorists in their areas. Worth a check perhaps?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I use a disclock aswell, it's very simple but effective IMO, puts people off a treat. [^]

Also, i always remove EVERYTHING from the car, the HU face-off, PDA and anything else of value that would want to make them break in in the first place!...

...Not giving them reason to break in should be your first method of security though! [;)][^]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Removing everything has to be a priority. But at the moment I'm having restless nights wondering where to put the locking wheel bolt adaptor when I'm away from the car!

I don't want others to say where they keep theirs as this wouldn't be very secure [;)] But do others have this problem?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Steering and gear locks are pretty pointless on a modern car. The fact of the matter is that the immobiliser on the Mk4 is pretty good (Thatcham approved) and there aren't many thieves who'll be able to drive away with your car without the aid of a set of keys...

Breaking *in* to the car, however, is a different matter - any fool with a brick can break in and nick your stereo, it takes a different type of thief to actually drive the car away.

·
Banned
774 Posts
I look upon the Disklok this way, 2 cars to break into, one has the disklok one doesn't.

I reckon the more intelligent scrote will figure the Disklok user is the type of person who leaves their car empty of anything of value and will be more likely to have a crack at the non-Disklok car.

It's just another layer of security that takes seconds to install and fits neatly under your Recaros.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by sammyboy on 15/03/2005 15:55:19

I look upon the Disklok this way, 2 cars to break into, one has the disklok one doesn't.

I reckon the more intelligent scrote will figure the Disklok user is the type of person who leaves their car empty of anything of value and will be more likely to have a crack at the non-Disklok car.

It's just another layer of security that takes seconds to install and fits neatly under your Recaros.

Hmm.. might invest I think.. I've wondered if it fits under the seat or not ! Might have to get one soon !

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A Diskloc tip: When they get older they get loose and rattle a bit. Get some of the sticky pads from B&Q etc for putting under furniture feet on laminate floors. These cut down and stuck inside the Diskloc make it shut more securely and stop it rattling away. Also some sticky velcro pads on the back means you can chuck it in the boot and it doesn't move around.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well I have to park mine over a mile away at a mates who has a spare off street, totally hidden parking space.

Extreme but it works and keeps me fit.

Not exactly convenient though.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Just like me sutherlandm- well mine's only a 10 minute brisk walk or 1min by MK2 GTi. Poor old thing often only gets used to and from the MKIV.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote: posted by sammyboy on 15/03/2005 17:41:35

Just like me sutherlandm- well mine's only a 10 minute brisk walk or 1min by MK2 GTi. Poor old thing often only gets used to and from the MKIV.

He he so you have a car to get to your car! Wicked!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Quote: posted by sgt.banjo on 15/03/2005 20:14:42

Quote: posted by sammyboy on 15/03/2005 17:41:35

He he so you have a car to get to your car! Wicked!

tell that to greenpeace, they'll have a fit [:D]

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 15/03/2005 15:38:48

Steering and gear locks are pretty pointless on a modern car. The fact of the matter is that the immobiliser on the Mk4 is pretty good (Thatcham approved) and there aren't many thieves who'll be able to drive away with your car without the aid of a set of keys...

Breaking *in* to the car, however, is a different matter - any fool with a brick can break in and nick your stereo, it takes a different type of thief to actually drive the car away.

The thing is the average thief will have no idea what security your car has and a disklok should be enough to put him off sticking a screwdriver through your door. So if you have any worries get a disklok as they are a good visual deterant and they sit nicely on the passenger floor but dont like the rear floor. I wouldnt recommend putting them on the rear seat because you may get injured if you have to do an emergency stop.

security tip: delock, dislock and nice bat or wheel brace to put off car jackers.

the only down side is they mark your steering wheel after a month or two.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote: posted by sammyboy on 15/03/2005 15:55:19

of course being a scrote he won't use common sense so may decide that as you have made an effort to secure you car, that u have more to hide so to speak......?

·
Registered
217 Posts
the most common theft is to steal the keys from you/your house

make sure there hidden away safly and not jus hannging on a key hook in your hall way

cant be bumd to go into the whole "kreepers & keys" method, but im sure internet abled boddies can find info on the net

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've had a disklok for about 8 years now!, got one when they had just appeared in the shops for my mk2 GTI <<saved this car a few times. Nothing like the feeling of gutted to relief when walking back to the car and seeing glass on the footpath, only to find out it was from the car that WAS parked next to yours.

As for marking the steering wheel, a quick rub round inside the disk and the face that goes against the vw badge in the wheel with some fine wetanddry will take off the little marks in the paint that can do damage just rub your had round it and it should be nice and smooth, the newer ones (gf got one for her A3) seem to have a few more rougher edges inside.

Plus don't turn it when it's on the wheel, as it will mark the steering wheel. I tend to have the locking arm on the left and not on the top like the instructions say, easier to take on and off that way too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've used a Diskloc now for a couple of years and the following tips may be of use to others:

1. If marking your wheel is of concern try sticking some carpet to the inside of the unit. A strip around both sides plus a patch in the middle will prevent any marks on your wheel.

2. If you fold the arm inside when storing it will fit in the rear footwell which seems to prevent any movement, this stops any rattles and makes it safe in the unfortunate event of an accident.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts