Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
2721 - 2740 of 2747 Posts

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,722 ·
starting the new project - power folding mirrors.

before installing the power folding mirrors i thought i might as well do a small build on them upgrading a few parts, here's how i got on upgrading the puddle lights. to start with i ordered a set of sequential indicators as this would be the new base that the puddle lights will go onto.

rKpLLtT.jpg

yGZlB7F.jpg

next up was the puddle light. the power folding mirrors did come with puddle lights but i thought might as well upgrade these too to the LEDs. one thing im not sure about is that my car never came with puddle lights but the power folding mirrors did and has the wiring inside them ready to connect up. so after i connect this up in the car and program it all in this should work right ?

BsCmtCq.jpg

3Obm1oA.jpg

quality seems to be really good on both parts, let see how well the puddle light will fit!

j6Y45IQ.jpg

so my tool of choice was the dremel with the drill bit. this seem to work well to cut away the initial piece.

iu5JdYw.jpg

i9hsGu3.jpg

boC4CxR.jpg

that left a bit of a rough edge so then i used a grinding bit to clean it up a little more.

44DKpoV.jpg

yK90gAN.jpg

then a final clean up.

KCtr00j.jpg

and some wet and dry to soften the edge.

t7AC81P.jpg

in terms of fitment, the puddle light fits really well. the cut out section on the indicator was a perfect size.

t1pUtIl.jpg

6zTGhjT.jpg

YYGCGHN.jpg

KP8tpg4.jpg

nVMSmCD.jpg

next step was to glue the puddle light down. i used OB1 which worked really well but im sure there are lots of silicon based glues out there that will work just as well.

vRqTLK7.jpg

FFyLIYM.jpg

5NIkTcJ.jpg

s57GFtf.jpg

UeeEZWO.jpg

then that was left to dry but this is how it looks and some comparison shots to the old puddle light.

ej67uaV.jpg

19pgqd8.jpg

I2nWB7Z.jpg

so you can see that the new puddle light looks similar to the old lights but just has smaller squares to allow the light to pass through. next up i will be fitting the new sequential indicators/ with new puddle lights to the power folding mirrors and buttoning that all up together.

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,725 ·
on to the next step of building my new power folding mirrors.

first start by popping/pulling out the mirror, need to be careful when doing this as the heater wires will be connected.

cmuLTfO.jpg

47QmXwS.jpg

you can disconnect the wires but i didn't as it doesn't really stop you from taking apart the mirrors, plus my wires where seized on pretty good. then you need a T10 to remove the 3 screws found behind the mirror, which will allow you to remove the outer plastic section.

3OSr7Oa.jpg

5LLqqjg.jpg

that will allow you to remove the mirror cover, this only has tabs so should just pull off.

TVTNmNf.jpg

then the indicator part has quite a strong clip that needs to be popped out.

YPwTU87.jpg

KrqvDIm.jpg

this leaves you with all the wiring to disconnect. the indicator wire i just used a small flat head screwdriver to pop it out and the puddle light with bulb was just pulled out to be removed (again by pulling it out of its housing).

uYpOxCA.jpg

eEvUlxl.jpg

Kh2r515.jpg

all the wiring was connected back up to the new parts. the wiring for the indicator was a straight fit to the new sequential indicator and the wiring for the puddle lights get connected to the wiring of the new LED puddle lights.

ioTKEHv.jpg

c05sKzO.jpg

once that was done the new indicators could be clipped back on, then the cover and then the plastic section with screws.

MU8mp1f.jpg

VjbAJFc.jpg

and finally the mirror was clipped back on.

3OSr7Oa.jpg

all in all everything fit like oem, all the parts looked to be great quality and the overall look is great. love the tinted finish on the indicator, really matches the black r20 cap. if i had to say a negative, then the only thing i would say is that on the original mirrors you have a indicator square that faces you from the mirror side, however you loose this feature as it just gets blacked out. would of been nice to still have that and not sure why they didnt do it as it looks easy enough done but no biggy in my eyes. look forward to getting the mirrors on the car and working fingers crossed.

kiNp7vF.jpg

khGku0E.jpg

DgrMqgD.jpg

AeFKeds.jpg

f8sGz9S.jpg

4lkVkB2.jpg

:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Still haven't updated mine for my mirrors, wish you'd stop reminding me haha

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,727 ·
Still haven't updated mine for my mirrors, wish you'd stop reminding me haha
haha, to be honest im not having much luck with them. tried getting them programed last week but the guy didn't have VCP only had VCDS which didn't work :facepalm: , so still on the look out if anyone on here can help a brother out lol :blush:

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
fitting the power folding mirrors!

first up remove trim from door card, then its three t30 screws to remove. once the door card is off you need to disconnect the handle, switch for the mirrors and the electric windows.

7b057iE.jpg

once the door card is out the way, you need to remove the tweeters. these are just pulled off then disconnected at the wiring.

7YZBFZW.jpg

then follow the wiring from the mirror to the module and disconnect all plugs (lift red tap to disconnect) and clips holding it on.

jwUAucC.jpg

to remove the mirror its an M 8 not a T bit (dont make the mistake i first made when doing this :doh: ).

PKaaQ1y.jpg

LRbovEC.jpg

then to remove the modules, its three T25 screws and the red clip/ plug to remove. this is holding the motor and module, which will allow you to pull the whole thing out. once that is out you can lift the tabs holding the module and slide it out (be careful not to damage module).

32HH1Lc.jpg

when all these parts are removed, its the reverse to fit all the new parts back in. i found with the modules the only thing to be different was that on the new modules there was an A at the end of the part number. not sure if this makes any difference or makes all the difference but i found once we swapped the modules the indicators and windows stopped working right. im guessing this is due to the modules needing coding.

heres how the new mirrors look on the car and a quick sneak peek at the sequential indicators.

pGKRCHz.jpg

zSkAzbU.jpg

when it came to the coding this is where the problems started. the guy doing the coding only had VCDS and couldn't gain access to program the module. the funny thing was he actually had more luck with the original modules back in, as he was able to get one of them to fold. but again the problems with the indicators and windows was still there. we tried every combination of switching the modules (old ones, new ones, one old one new, switching the sides over and so on and so on). we even got the reverse down mirror to work at one point but then the mirror didn't lift after coming out of reverse. at the end of the day we had to put the original modules back in to get the indicators and windows working again and we was able to turn the puddle lights on. so it was good to see at least they work. any info on this or if any of you can do the programming PM me as it be a big help. :excl:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
haha, to be honest im not having much luck with them. tried getting them programed last week but the guy didn't have VCP only had VCDS which didn't work :facepalm: , so still on the look out if anyone on here can help a brother out lol :blush:
Iv got vcp I'm in croydon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
one day im going to do something to the car and its going to work first time round, but till that day comes here's the problem i'm facing now :facepalm:

so just a recap, im retro fitting power folding mirrors to my mk6 golf. the mirrors were installed and we made an attempt to have the mirrors coded in by using VCDS. however we had lots of problems with indicators and windows not working right, the down mirror going down but not coming back up and had problems with trying to get the drivers side to fold. i was advised that the problem was with the modules, as faults were coming up and access was being denied.

round two now and a different coder, i obtained an extra spare set of modules and coding was attempted again. same kind of problems but this time we are also trying the new set of modules. in the end we was able to get both mirrors to fold at individual times and the indicators and windows to work. however this is the problem now..........watch vid :dash2:

so now the problem is that when switching the mirrors to fold in the passenger side folds in and the drivers side folds out. when turning the switch to open the mirrors the passenger side opens and the drivers side closes. at no time do the both open and close at the same time. we tried disconnecting the module on one side to try and get the timing right but the computer is too smart for that and it just waits to reset so they open and close at different times. i also noticed that when putting the car into reverse, instead of the mirror (mirror down function) looking down it looks up (doing the opposite), also the one touch feature for the passenger side window does not work anymore (does not work on switch and key fob).

Ge7s5HZ.jpg

after doing a little research it looks like what could be causing the problem, is that two wires on the wiring loom of the mirror needs to be changed around. the new power folding loom looks to have 2 or 3 extra wires then the standard mirror loom. im guessing they are to send power to the folding mirrors and power to the puddle lights. people have said that the positive and negative wires need to be swapped around which is pin 14 and 15. this is the only diagram i have and i have no idea looking and the loom and this diagram what is what !! or if this is really what is causing the problem.

any experts on here have any ideas or know which colour wire i should be trying to swap/ how to locate pin 14 and 15? or if this will even solve my problem ?

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
so here it is... after a set of power folding mirrors, 2 sets of door modules and 2 VCDS coders i finally got the mirrors to work.

so last time i was talking about how one mirror would fold in as the other one would fold out and that i felt it could have something to do with the positive and negative cable (pin 14 & 15 - purple and blue). i was a little confused before about which pin was which, but after having a closer look at my old mirrors wiring loom i figured out that there is a cap over the numbers which needs to come off first.

aEp0qC0.jpg

MU6BfRE.jpg

to get this cap off, there is a little tab on the side of it which you lift then slide the inner piece with all the wiring out.

S0h9WsU.jpg

so now you can see on the top that each of the wires are numbered. as this is the old non power folding mirror you can see that there is no cable for pin 14 and 15, which makes sense as it doesn't need power to fold.

YRiRVeq.jpg

just as a test i wanted to see if i could remove the cables out so that i would know how to go about it on the car. i ordered myself a set off pin removal keys. don't waste your time as i couldn't get it to work with them and a blade worked so much better. all you need to do is push down on the triangle section of the pin and pull out the cable.

Y3gYSfn.jpg

mojUqpG.jpg

Hm3HEMK.jpg

once i knew i could do it, it was time to try it on the real thing. so same process of removing the cap to get to the wiring. here you can see that there are the extra wires for pin 14 and 15.

TI8IEl6.jpg

same process of using the blade to release the wires, i removed pin 14 & 15 and switched them around.

uVAxjB0.jpg

f2y6WhM.jpg

popped it all back in and it works :dance: no need for any extra coding, you dont have to do the passenger side (just driver side) and heres the vid - click here

so so happy its finally working, really didn't want to be driving around with one mirror shut. i am still having some problems which all seem to be with the passenger side. so the dip mirror goes up instead of down when in reverse, also the one touch feature to the passenger side window doesn't work and finally when the mirrors are shut and the car is unlocked the puddle light for the passenger side doesn't come on but if the mirrors are open it does. bit of a strange one that, so if anyone might no why that is hit me up...!

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
I just wanted to say you took a normal car and lifted it to OEM+.. nice one!!! your problem must be cable related... sometimes the order of the cables in the plugs aren't exactly the same on both sides maybe you need to check if that is the case it would explain the dipping in reverse problem.

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,734 ·
I just wanted to say you took a normal car and lifted it to OEM+.. nice one!!! your problem must be cable related... sometimes the order of the cables in the plugs aren't exactly the same on both sides maybe you need to check if that is the case it would explain the dipping in reverse problem.
thanks bud, that makes all the stress worth it. yh im a little confused about it all at the moment, as i tried a bunch of things but no luck. not really good at understanding wiring diagrams :doh:

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
so i did it once and got lucky, i thought i would try it again....

the problem I've been having with my passenger side mirror is that the adjustment controls are all flipped. left being right, up being down and so on. this effects the direction that my dip mirror function goes (up instead of down). looking at the diagram from what i could make out, was that to swap the polarity i would switch over the red wire with the yellow and white wire, and the white wire with yellow and grey. :blink:

d0F6ocm.jpg

IcyWLtp.jpg

sadly no luck, i didn't get any change. i tried a bunch of combinations but again nothing really changed.

VWBethb.jpg

qfoXcuL.jpg

0y3rk5U.jpg

deciding that i wouldn't mess around with it anymore, i put all the wiring back to how it was at the start. dont ask me how or what i did but i noticed that left and right had corrected its self. again no luck with the up and down being corrected but as the dip mirror function started to work right, i thought i could live with that. didn't drive the car for about a week after that but i noticed when i did i was getting really bad feedback/ sounds coming through my speakers !!!

not sure if this was a coincidence and another problem had started? or if messing with the wires caused it?
not sure what to do now, anyone on here any good with wiring diagrams ? or know what i could try to get rid of this feedback/ sounds coming from the speakers ?

:excl: :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl: :excl:

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
well it must have triggered something... maybe you need to do a VCDS session and de-activate the option followed by re-activation that might sort it... although in my experience canbus sometimes can be stubborn... not really had that before with VW but definitely with Audi/ Mercedes/Vauxhall/Mazda and Subaru... it might just be that...

·
Registered
281 Posts
My understanding of the mirrors was its a EEPOM mod required, not just coding with VCDS. What part numbers are the modules you put in?

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,738 ·
well it must have triggered something... maybe you need to do a VCDS session and de-activate the option followed by re-activation that might sort it... although in my experience canbus sometimes can be stubborn... not really had that before with VW but definitely with Audi/ Mercedes/Vauxhall/Mazda and Subaru... it might just be that...
sadly because i don't have VCDS (don't no much about coding) they want to charge me £50 a session, so i thought i would take the door card apart again, clean up the wires and reinstall them exactly how the wires where before i started all this (using referents photos). this didn't work, so as a last result and pretty much all i could think of was to disconnect the battery and let it drain. this actually worked which was a result :D . no more buzzing.

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,739 ·
My understanding of the mirrors was its a EEPOM mod required, not just coding with VCDS. What part numbers are the modules you put in?
5k0 959 793A (left module)

5k0 959 792A (right module)

do you think this is why my one touch system is not working on my passenger side. window goes fully down with one touch but not fully up ? also when the mirrors are closed the puddle light on the passenger side doesn't come on but if the mirror is open it does !

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,740 ·
right update on the car. i know its been a while but i've only just got the problem that i was facing sorted!
so some time back i retro fitted power folding mirrors to the car, however the problem i was have was that the control adjustments for the mirrors were the wrong was round, left puddle light wouldn't work if the mirrors were folded and the one touch on the window wouldn't work.

now the solution!
get yourself a programmer/ coder that knows what hes talking about :geek:, 3rd time round this guy knew what the problem was straight away. turns out one of the module was from a Skoda and the reason why the car was doing what it was, is because it thought it had a different shape window (which is why it was stopping short).

here's the fix

each one of these numbers/letters had to be put back into the programming to turn the module into a mk6 golf command. best believe it took us both hours but when it was done everything worked perfectly. super happy.

glad this problem was sorted, and may help anyone else dealing with the same problem. keep a look out because I've got some more exciting bits coming for the car. :giggle:

2721 - 2740 of 2747 Posts