Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
2701 - 2720 of 2747 Posts

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,702 ·
quick update on the car, just changed the wiper blades again but this time to a bosch brand.

nqauDusg.jpg

works just as good as my last set but this one just has that little detailing to it.

Z3mCnx2g.jpg

W5qrZH7g.jpg

YPiTbsag.jpg

just in time for this rainy season we have been having. :mellow:

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
from one rubber service to another but this one cost me a little more lol :whistle:

so the front two tires were looking a little shredded, which is a shame as they still had good meet on them. i knew that these tires were going to be hard to find as Michelin pilot super sports are super rare. i couldnt find a set in the end as i think they stopped making them but settled for a set of Michelin pilot sports which is more of a wet tire (but lets face it thats perfect for London weather).

PAvs011.jpg

so it was on to the tire shop to get them fitted, after to other places first :rolleyes: .

h12Zkum.jpg

GywclCY.jpg

the wheels were off and the struggle to get the stretch tires off began. :wacko:

A9JbpGf.jpg

7cghyk5.jpg

ViSSvLk.jpg

after finally getting the tire off and the new one on it was time to balance the wheels.

gTybEOm.jpg

aAXGZEx.jpg

J8fu0JW.jpg

MPDzihS.jpg

after an hour and a bit fitting the tires it was finally done and i got to say they rip. i forgot how good it feels to have a fresh set on the car. if your looking for a quick way to get better performance then a good set of tires is the key. these tires just grip so well and it just wants to pull. super happy with it :D .

oZJiJl3.jpg

NeVpa4m.jpg

q0WIRWB.jpg

they defo look the part. heres some up and down action for ya ;) .

MCamDvq.jpg

wMr1qiL.jpg

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
so haven't posted for a while but not much has really been going on with the car, here's a little update of a leather key fob cover I got. i was noticing that the icons on the buttons were wearing down, so i got this to help slow down that process and protect it for a little longer.

KqsV6z9g.jpg

its a brown leather one, which is a little clue to what im wanting to do with my interior in the future (if i ever get round to it :facepalm: ). the buttons are meant to be glow in the dark but i dont think it works that well to be honest.

aVl2RNZg.jpg

wtiNkDvg.jpg

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,705 ·
new product on the car this time, never really ever bothered to clean the leather in my car but i thought its always best to treat leather as it can begin to crack over time if not looked after. so i had this leather cleaning kit that was given to me when i first brought my car from VW, so i thought i would give it a go.

pFPGvvIg.jpg

in the box is a cream and a cloth (i hate these yellow cloths, they make more mess then they clean :negative: ) so i put a bit on the cloth then worked it into the leather.

mORzD9Fg.jpg

U1F34A1g.jpg

lXbnhCxg.jpg

goes in really well and leave a bit of a shine (which does die down after time) also has quite a strong smell which also goes, but all in all works quite well and hopefully keeps the leather looking new for another 5 years.

EjVer52g.jpg

D2LFbg5g.jpg

Txb3UePg.jpg

also works well on the stitch work and steering wheel.

7zIv3Rzg.jpg

woyQkQhg.jpg

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
quick update on the car, the bi xenon bulbs finally went out on me - so its time for the upgrade :D

i noticed that one of the headlights looked misty, so i removed the lamin-x from it and cleaned it up but it looks like the headlight lens will need to be restored (i will get this done at a later date.

ZoeEMna.jpg

so here's how the headlight was looking. the bulb completely lost its power and went yellow.

MYyd9Yw.jpg

this is a pic with the new bulb in compered with the old one that's on the right. i went from a 3000k bulb to a 6000k bulb for a more clear white look. hard to tell the difference in this pic.

R94SSqp.jpg

both bulbs in. cant say it was a simply bulb out bulb in job, as the headlight on the right didnt leave much room to get the bulb in. in the end i ended up moving the fuse box. (last thing you want to do is touch the bulb its self).

zL5a6of.jpg

night shots

IstxTSF.jpg

OqGtVa7.jpg

eEe8QtB.jpg

excuse the mistyness of the right headlight :paperbag:

9ynsBij.jpg

full beams

6ok9iMj.jpg

very happy with the colour of the bulbs, really need to get that lens sorted then it should look a lot better.

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
some help needed!

i noticed some time back that one of my headlights was looking a bit hazy, so i decided to remove the laminX that was on it. the headlight still looked misty after a clean up. :wacko:

H7Uxr7n.jpg

i ordered up a headlight kit that would help get rid of this misty look by cutting a layer of the headlight and polishing it up.

8lJsM4e.jpg

followed all the steps.

IHG7E7k.jpg

Zpvtz5N.jpg

w2sqE8W.jpg

the headlight was really smooth but still was misty :negative:

H7Uxr7n.jpg

we tried the whole process again but this time with industrial tools and polishes

inemzrU.jpg

but again still misty :negative:

H7Uxr7n.jpg

anyone else had this problem or any advice how this could be fixed ?

·
Registered
942 Posts
A milky film would sometimes develop on the inside of early Golf headlights.

This was caused by replacing bulbs, the natural grease on fingers would get left on metal parts of the bulb, this would burn off to create the milky film, worst affected is shallow headlight enclosures - Mk1 & 2 inner lights like to do this.

Yours does look like an extreme version of this.

I don't know the set up of your lights, looks like they have been apart to be joey'd, did they get re-assembled with bare hands?

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,714 ·
A milky film would sometimes develop on the inside of early Golf headlights.

This was caused by replacing bulbs, the natural grease on fingers would get left on metal parts of the bulb, this would burn off to create the milky film, worst affected is shallow headlight enclosures - Mk1 & 2 inner lights like to do this.

Yours does look like an extreme version of this.

I don't know the set up of your lights, looks like they have been apart to be joey'd, did they get re-assembled with bare hands?
i get what your saying about the mk1-2 but these don't really suffer from that problem as there from the new generation of plastic.

these headlights have never been apart/ split and the xenon bulbs have only ever been changed once from factory (using gloves). its defo been caused by the laminx that use to be on it, because you can see that the mistyness comes up to the where the laminx use to be. also the reason the other side didn't have the fogging is because it was replaced a few years back (which i'm sure the headlight that was removed would of had the same milkiness caused from the laminx).

i just don't understand why a cut and polish hasn't fixed this problem?

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
I actually think it's on the inside of the lenses... i have that problem with my daily and because the units are so bloody expensive ( more than i paid for the car) i haven't done anything about it, and i have polished them more than enough to make sure the surface is free from all debris and old cracks.. funnily enough it keeps passing MOT like that... that said my daily is a pre facelift vauxhall vectra... the best solution would be to get new headlight units for me and i think you might end up doing the same.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Don't really know what to suggest.

In all events sanding and polishing will always remove the top layer of dead plastic

Looks like this isn't your problem, you don't seem to have a layer of dead plastic.

Can't understand why lamin X would create this issue on plastic either.

I removed laminx off my R32 headlights , that laminx was over 10years, maybe 14 years on my car. Looked like new when I took them off, but R32 uses glass not plastic.

I stuck lamin X stuff on my 2002 Fabia headlights and that still looked fab after 12 years. No fogginess, but pitting and wear and tear

.maybe you do have a problem inside the lens even though it follows the lamin X cut out.

Wotever , can't think of any other solutions to remedy as you've already cut and polished to various extents. And confirmed water doesn't change the look, so it really can only be the insides

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,718 ·
Don't really know what to suggest.

In all events sanding and polishing will always remove the top layer of dead plastic

Looks like this isn't your problem, you don't seem to have a layer of dead plastic.

Can't understand why lamin X would create this issue on plastic either.

I removed laminx off my R32 headlights , that laminx was over 10years, maybe 14 years on my car. Looked like new when I took them off, but R32 uses glass not plastic.

I stuck lamin X stuff on my 2002 Fabia headlights and that still looked fab after 12 years. No fogginess, but pitting and wear and tear

.maybe you do have a problem inside the lens even though it follows the lamin X cut out.

Wotever , can't think of any other solutions to remedy as you've already cut and polished to various extents. And confirmed water doesn't change the look, so it really can only be the insides
that's kool, i appreciate the help anyway. think im just going to live with it for now and if it ever really bothers me i will change out the headlight.

·
MK6 Dubber
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,719 ·
new project :D

Can anyone guess what the misses got me for Christmas. So this set of mirrors are power folding, with puddle lights. i got this set of a R20 that was braking so was also able the get the modules and switch too.

rEqSVQu.jpg

DEbXBMW.jpg

3RIcT5Q.jpg

Ff4LjIt.jpg

V1zc0m2.jpg

these mirror caps come originally in gloss black, so i'm going to be keeping that colour but will just give them a buff and polish as they are a little scratched up. Not sure how easy its going to be to do the mod as i know it will need some VAG com coding and I've checked my modules which has turned out to be the same in my car (so i have a spare set if anyone is interested in doing the mod). i also dont now if the puddle light will work but all will be found out once i try the install. im also going to do a slight build on these mirrors buy upgrading the indicators and puddle lights.

all in all this will save me from looking like a donut every morning at work as i have to walk around the car to fold all the mirrors in :paperbag: .

·
Registered
281 Posts
I need to update my thread as I did a mirror build... I'm fairly sure those modules can be coded with VCP Pro to fold remotely :Y:

2701 - 2720 of 2747 Posts