Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,260 Posts
so its been long over due and the ice in my car has been a very long going project but i was finally able to get my oem RNS510 sat nav head unit in at the weekend. the plan was originally to have all 4 door speaker amped but there was complications with the unit not having fade so im going to try do a software update later on - for now heres the new head unit :)

20141012_105555_zpsc36474f1.jpg

The unit will have fader functions, but will most likely be set up incorrectly for your car. The RNS510 doesn't show fader functions unless the cars sound system will allow it, so if you have an incorrect setting on the sound systems menu (in VCDS) then the balance will show okay but fader is disabled.
I think what you're trying to say is that the fade function only gets enabled automatically when it detects that rear speakers have been plugged in,or at least that's the idea.

·
Super Moderator
50,260 Posts
I've seen a few mk.4s that have had mk.5 radios fitted and they don't look right IMO,can't really put my finger on it but they just sort of should be somewhere else that isn't a mk.4 :unsure: .

Re your problem,why not something like the JBL MS8 which I'm pretty certain can take one pair of speaker inputs and convert it to amped front and rear?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/ms8-oem-dsp-system-integrator-ex-demo

·
Super Moderator
50,260 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,260 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,260 Posts
I've never seen the green and beige coloured connectors before,so your guess is as good as mine :unsure: ? There has to be another interface box for it to plug into I'd guess.I've had a quick Google but can't find anything that it would plug into.

·
Super Moderator
50,260 Posts
Looks better without the little winglet things I reckon.

If you don't want warning lights when you put funny bulbs in,you gotta buy a mark 4 again :p .You need to replicate the EXACT resistance of a 501 or what ever it normally has as sidelight bulbs.Either measure it and put a 10 watt or bigger resistor in parallel with the bulb holder,the problem is their resistance goes up when they get hot so is difficult to get right from a cold reading.Or you could wire a 501 (or whatever it is) across the back of the bulb holder but keep the new bulb where it is a sidelight.

·
Super Moderator
50,260 Posts
I read that one of the big manufacturers is thinking of (or has been experimenting with) laser headlights.So not only will you have 'smart' headlights that can allegedly see round corners and automatically dip to avoid dazzling other road users,they will also be able to pick out and selectively highlight what it thinks are the most important things that will make night time driving safer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts