Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested. i know it is a sin to say the other V word over on this forum but i want to know what people think of them.

I currently have a stage 1 1.8T running(roughly) 220 bhp with weitec coils, full miltek and a eurojet FMIC among various other things. im now pretty sick of the car as i never seem to have more than a few days where something is not screwed and preventing me from driving it. i do love the car bu i want to drive it and im just getting a bit fed up.

so what are you opinions on the Astra VXR?

anyone driven/owned one that has a 1.8T similar to mine(even if you don't i would love your opinions)

please keep the "NAH MATE ITS A VOXALL THEYS RUBBISH" comments to the minimum as i do realise it isn't a VW (or even VAG)

·
Tim Sr
13,503 Posts
Well, i'll say this.

It's designed by Lotus, built by Lotus, in the Lotus facility in Norfolk, and is cheaper and faster than an equal specced Elise.

Oh, and it doesn't say Vauxhall anywhere on it.

You could do worse, but personally i'd rather have an Elise.

The VX220 turbo is the nutter versions which is the one you'd have to have to really push the boat out, however you could probably find a used Exige for not much less.

EDIT: Apologies, i read read that as a VX220, not a VXR

Don't get one, they are chavvy [:p]

They are fast though, and the C20LET has a lot of tuning options.

Saying that, its on the same page as the 2l TFSI lump in the MK5 GTI.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Th eVXr is quick, it's obviously a 2 litre 240 bhp Fwd, MAJOR torque steer issues!!! I worked for vauxhall and drove a few I loved it, I know exactly what you mean about the Golf screwing up!! The only issue I had with the VXR was Visibility and the boot was an impracticle shape!!

Lee

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
basically im unsure on how much i would spend at the moment.

i don't really want the R32 because i just don't think it is enough of a difference(and i have confirmed this with a few owners on here)

just looking at other options really and i think the VXR is fairly nice....

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Other that a golf... if were talking hot hatch i think i would take a serious look at the Focus RS!

Vauxhall schmauxhall!
hmmm ok, yeh i was thinking of a MK5 GTI, but they are quite expensive and i hear the build quality is actually worse....

Maybe you should go and test drive one to see for yourself.

Tis the best way of gauging what 'you' think of the car, if it suits your needs and driving style etc
Yeh i think you are right mate, where abouts do you live bud[:p] .....

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Other that a golf... if were talking hot hatch i think i would take a serious look at the Focus RS!

Vauxhall schmauxhall!
hmmm ok, yeh i was thinking of a MK5 GTI, but they are quite expensive and i hear the build quality is actually worse....

Maybe you should go and test drive one to see for yourself.

Tis the best way of gauging what 'you' think of the car, if it suits your needs and driving style etc
Yeh i think you are right mate, where abouts do you live bud
Come on over, I might scare the crap out of you on some of the local tarmac

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
Reason I like the MK5 GTI is this..... discretion!

No one looks at it AT ALL (bar a few people in the know) and these things have 350bhp potential, which is Wolf in Sheep's clothing behaviour! [H]

Astra VXR and Focus RS are both a bit more shouty.... a bit more "Hey Look at me"

Key thing here as has been said above... TEST DRIVE! [au]

·
Registered
988 Posts
Why is no one talking about the focus ST?

good price 2nd hand
5 cylinder gem of an engine that sounds great!
great handling...
plenty of mods for lots of power etc...

VXR is not as good as the focus on balance.

BTW When I said r32 above i ment the mk5 (but its expensive i know)

PS - haldex is still better than FWD lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts