Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friends AUDI a4 1.9tdi has got this error on cylinder 2 and is misfiring.

dont really have any experience with diesels so it anyone could tell me what the part it and if its easy to replace, will be greatly appreciated.

okay from reading ive found that its an injector, so it could either be the injector or the wiring loom then. i find it unlikely to be the wiring loom so how hard is it to change the injectors on a diesel, petrols very easy but never done it on a diesel before.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Well, it's an electrical fault to the injector, and the wiring loom is a known iccue. The clips onto the injector can work loose and cause issues. Replacing the loom is a lot cheaper than replacing an injector. Depending on engine code etc. an injector wiring loom is about £30 or so (from memory) while injectors new are hundreds.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh is it? i thought that the loom was more because i had to change it on a petrol car once and the injector loom was built onto the ecu loom and was around 3-400quid new so replaced with a second hand one

so the loom is separate for the injectors then?

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
The injectors are under the valve cover so that has to come off. Then the loom clips onto the injectors, and the other end goes out through the side of the head to a multi plug. Fairly straight forward if you're mechanically minded and have a tool box. [Y]

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah im sure i will be able to do it having done clutches and gearboxes before but might just tell him to get a mechanic to change it for him as time is kinda tight for me these days, how much labour should he be looking at to get the loom changed and also how much to get an injector changed

cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts