Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

VAGParts Retro Fit Xenons

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  PhatPhil 
#1 ·
Finally got round to fitting the VAGParts Xenon Retro fit kit.

Many thanks to Craigv for fitting them [:D]

Rebased 6500k H7 xenon bulbs at the moment. Fitted in my Anni headlights.

4500k I've got 4500k here ready to fit. Will be good to see a comparison.

Sidelights are Phillips Bluevision. LEDs on the way [:D]

Camera doesn't do them justice [B)]

Dipped beam:-

Posted Image

Full beam:-

Posted Image

From side:-

Posted Image

Head on:-

Posted Image

Pics on a small B road. It was that dark that I nearly fell over trying to get back in the car!! [:I]

See less See more
#8 ·
Nice install! [:)] However, not to rain on your parade, but how well did you secure the grommets at the rear of the headlamps? You didn't make a hole too big. A word of warning: dirt and road muck loves to make its way in there! Also be careful when washing your car as if you drilled a big whole in the headlamp cap water may find its way in there too and then condenses giving you a really nice cloudy effect[B)] Takes bloomin' ages to evaporate out of there! You can avoid this if you check the grommets are secure! I learn't this the hard way[:I]

Good decision ditching the 6500k bulbs! The lesser Kelvin will give you more lumens resulting in better visibility on the road. Where did you source the 4500k bulbs from? EBay?

#9 ·
Got the 4500k from VAGParts. Was parts of the original order but got delayed and Martyn kindly offered the 6500k bulbs as a loan.

The 4500k bulbs seem a lot less blue. Only connected one to test in the plastic container but it looked spot on and about twice as bright [:D]

Once they are fitted I'll seal the gromets with silicon.

#10 ·
grommets are a tight fit :) but silcone will seal for sure..phil put a blob of silcone on the cable exit also to gaurantee no water etc can get in.

rs2002 can you not just by the backingplates for the headlights from the dealer and re-drill them smaller this time????

craigv

#13 ·
Quote: posted by cat on 08/12/2004 11:02:43

Nice lights Phil, how much were they? why dont you try the PIAA Led Sidelights (Donna and I have them) I cant fault them and they look great.

cat

lol I can fault them, I got stopped by the police for them. They really are just for show, they don't light anything up.

#18 ·
Fitted my set last night as well [:D]

It looked an easy job, just found the instructions rather confusing, though once the headlights were out it made the job easier.

A pointers for anyone waiting to fit their HIDs, cut the hole for the bulbs wiring as directly as possible behind where the bulb sits, as the wires need to poke though the gromet resess a little. Also the other confusing point was that one balast had a longer headlight cable that the other, though both the power looms are the same length.

So no before and after shots, but I was running the Philips PowerVisions before hand, and still am in the side lights, all I can say is, their is no going back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 ·
rf steel are your hid's from vagparts too as your ballasts look different to the ones i recieved?

do you find that you notice the beam flicker abit when going over a pot hole or bumpy ground?

and can you notice the __/ __/ sort of pattern in the light output on the road.sorry for being nosey but im just trying to compare my hid's to everyone elses!!!

#20 ·
Yeah these are from VAGPARTS via the GB that was resently run.

Beam flicker - not noticed any at all, I was B roading it last night testing them out and not once did I notice them flicker.

Beam pattern - again not really, I do notice that the near side is now a lot brighter, but not the off side.

Here are some more pics of the light pattern that is created from the bulbs

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 ·
Russ, they certainly look the business. Nice one!

How would you say they compare to the Vision Plus you had before other than no going back? Is it a really big difference? Can you see further or is the beam mainly wider?

The part that you had to modify is available as a separate item I believe, so you could put the car back to stock if you had to.

Think I'm going for angel eyes and an HID kit together early in the new year. Come on Hella, hurry up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.