Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All i seem to be doing lately is posting about faults on my car etc.

I have had recent problems with my engine. It all seem to of started when i fitted a carbonio. It was driving perfectly and then all of a sudden it lost power and the revs would drop down to below 500rpm and almost stall and when i press the accelerater peddle it would rev to about 1500rpm and then go no further and just keep fluctuating between 500-1500rpm.

I immediately plugged it into vag com and i got the following:

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 018 AQ
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR HS D03
Software Coding: 04000
Work Shop Code: WSC 06435
5 Faults Found:
17967 - Throttle Valve Control part (J338): Fault in basic settings
P1559 - 35-00 - -
17973 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Lower Stop not Reached
P1565 - 35-00 - -
00670 - Throttle Position Sensor (G127)
07-10 - Signal to Low - Intermittent
16506 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69): Signal too Low
P0122 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
01165 - Throttle Body Control Module (J338)
08-00 - Control Limit Surpassed

i cleared the codes and the first 2 still keep coming back, i was searching the net for ages and people said it was the throttle body unit itself, so i bought another one (second hand, that i was assured worked perfectly), but this one is still doing the same and i am getting the first 2 codes still.

Can somebody please help me out as this is driving me insane and i dont know if it is definately the throttle body or something else,

cheers

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply mate, but my edited obviously hasnt shown up yet, it said that i had already tried the ross tech website and done everything that they have mentioned but still no luck and this includes cleaning the throttle body! i also cant do a TBA and it just says error and the volts read 0.03v and i am sure it should be about 3.3v but when i unplug the throttle position sensor it shoots upto about 5v which shouldnt be right

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have cleaned it, ive done everything, the earths seem fine, ive managed to get it idling ok, turned out that the return inside was bent back and wasnt touching the idle control contact switch, but now it just wont rev past 1500rpm and it goes up and down even if i keep my foot to the floor, and when i do go and do the basic settings its only reading 0.04v when it should be around 3-4v and says error, could it be the ecu storing the faults?

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Whip it off and clean it out. When putting it back on, check the wires are on it nice and tight.

After, perform a throttle body alignment (Engine > Measuring Blocks > 98 > and I think its switch to something > and that should align your throttle body. Procedure is on Ross Tech site somewhere.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the reply mate, but if you read up abit it says that it wont allow me to do the TBA as justs says 0.04v

·
Registered
517 Posts
ok that helps crimp the fuel return if its better let me know

also check measure value block 006 feild no 4 post result

post result of measure value 032 and let me know thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
not sure but from the sound of the engine it's being starved of somthing if you crimp the fuel return and it revs better then its not enough air (air mass meter) this can be confirmed via the measure value blocks

failing that ............... will have a think once i know the mvb's

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
block 006 on the 4th result was the ignition timing which was 16.6 degrees advanced, so its not retarded, but i am not 100% sure what it should be reading and block 032 there wasnt anything, but for some reason, after fidling around it seem to of sorted itself out and runs perfectly, i havent checked it today yet

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea i did crimp it and fuel started going everywhere, so i know the pressure is ok and also tried a 3 bar fpr instead of the 4 bar one i have on there and neither of those things made any difference

·
Registered
517 Posts
ok mate by crimping it leave it connected then use hose clamp to crimp as fuel pressure will be at max and injected quanity will be more so if air mass is out of spec the excess fuel pressure will temp sort problem

also forgot to ask will it rev if you start to increase the throttle slowly not snap open to full throttle my thoughts are still with the air mass

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh ok i get ya!

It does it when the throttle is fully to the floor and it does it even if you gently increase the throttle.

If it was the air mass would it not pick the fault up on vag com?

·
Registered
517 Posts
no as it thinks its reading is gospil so it may be so far out of spec it wont do anything.

I had this fault before and ended up replacing the air mass meter then getting a tow down the road to start the reset process (which is lots of overrun in gear normally takes about 10 attempts)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
now you mention it, everyone i have spoken to say there adamant its the air mass meter, its chucking me off as vag com is only picking up faults to do with the throttle body, unless this is because of the air mass meter being faulty.

The one i put on there is a second hand one i got off ebay, so it could well still be faulty, as my last one definately died and i started using a vr6 maf which was 3 inches and it would only rev to about 4,500rpm and then die, i think this was due to, to much air and not enough fuel.

So your indication points to the maf aswel then?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts