Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to get a full scan done on my car today and got the following.

Chassis Type: 1J - VW G/J/B Mk4
Scan: 01,02,03,08,16,15,17,19,22,35,46,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller:
Note: Can't Synch Baud Rate

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1C0 907 379 C
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0103
Coding: 0001025
Shop #: WSC 00028
No fault code found.

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 46: Central Conv.
Controller: 1J0 959 799 AH
Component: 4U Zentral-SG Komf. 0001
Coding: 04096
Shop #: WSC 00028
2 Faults Found:
01131 - Control Circuit for Turn Signals
25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent
00944 - Heated Exterior Mirror: Passenger Side (Z5)
35-00 - -

End --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know about the wing mirror, has standard glass in, but the Control Circuit for Turn Signals? At present the indicators and hazard work but not when I activate/deactivate alarm and the alarm goes off.

What is this and where is it?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I've got exactly the same fault on my car.

As you say, everything works except the indicator flash when locking and unlocking.

I've activated the alarm beep which does work and confirms the alarm is arming.

I'm not to worrried about this fault as it is a non fault if you know what I mean. The cause I think could be a blocking diode gone bad somewhere between the alarm module and the indicator circuit.

In fact I think it is something to do with the combined hazard swith and flasher relay which made a strange buzzing noise one day. That noise was probably said diode cooking itself or something equally annoying.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
There are no diodes between the CCM and the left and right indicator wires,and to the best of my knowledge,there aren't any external to the hazard switch either.
I think the problem is still down to the microswitch being munged up enough for it not to be able to tell the CCM whether or not it's closed properly,if it isn't,it won't try to deadlock,hence no indicator flash.
It's worse on my car if the n/s door has been opened,which is the one that I had real trouble with until I stripped and cleaned it,so possibly it's still sticking slightly,the drivers door has never caused any problems.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
The fault is on the turn signal switch condition, not the door locks.

I'm sure there must be possibly within the hazard switch / flasher relay blocking diode(s).

Blocking diode(s) to stop both flashers going at the same time (taking the otherwise single bi-wired route through the alarm flash supply).

I may be wrong and would like to know Imageworks if you know otherwise.

Also in addition, on my car the parking side light with the indicators works perfectly as well.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
01131 - Control Circuit for Turn Signals
25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent

But as the above is under the section for the conveniance module,although referred to as "turn signals",the indicators would still work if the CCM was unplugged,the only switches that are connected to the CCM are the ones in the doors,the boot and bonnet.You are right that there are blocking diodes,but they are inside the CCM.
A hazard switch doesn't normally need them,as when you push it in,they will all be connected together anyway,or when you use the indicators,an ignition supply is fed to the relay to make it open and close repeatedly,and then the pulsing output is fed via whichever position the indicator stalk has been put to to either the left or right indicator circuits.
I've never tested the wires at the hazard switch,but I will do ASAP and let you know what happens.

And BTW,my username is ImagewERX.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Agreed, the fault is under the ccm but the ccm has to interface with the instruments (turn signals).

So by definition, it is likely that there is a fault in the connecting cable(s) between the cluster and the ccm as the ccm cannot determine the switch position.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did miss some info though, one day my hazard switch started smoking like an old man and his pipe! Mostly plastic melting though, anyways, I have a spare hazard switch, I have tried this in the car and no help but have not run a test with it in so I will.

Also, my lock pins, the LED's to my knowledge have never blinked.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've changed the hazard switch and retested to check and still same error, I would like this sorting if only for when I sell one day, would a new controller sort you think, where is located too?

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
That's probably because it's only the indicator bulbs (or "turn signals") that are directly connected to the CCM.If the indicator stalk is in the straight ahead position,and the hazard switch is not pushed in,none of these switches are connected to the CCM,and they are only connected to the indicator bulbs when they are actually operated.
As I said before,the only switches actually connected to the CCM are in the doors,the boot and the bonnet,and these are VERY famous for being unreliable.If one of these isn't closing properly when you lock the doors (for whatever reason,dry joint or dirty),it can't tell the CCM that the door is fully closed,it won't fully arm the alarm and tell the LEDs to flash,it won't deadlock,and it won't tell the turn signals to flash to say that all this has been successfully carried out.
The CCM has nothing to do with left and right turn indicators or the hazard flashers,it is only connected to them to inform the user of the alarm status,you can still use them with the CCM unplugged.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Likewise,I'm also getting spots in front of my eyes trying to make it out,where does that diagram come from?

Chris.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Now what I've yet to establish is if these are outputs from the ccm or inputs to it.

A lot of stuff is neg switched on our cars so these connections may mean nothing at all.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
A5 and A6 (black/green and black/white) are outputs from the CCM that are only connected directly to the indicator bulbs and the repeaters in the instrument cluster and are positive switched,as those very wires are one of the places I can connect to if I fit an aftermarket alarm.
The CCM isn't really part of the diagnostic loop,but is interrogated by it,as more basic cars that don't have a CCM still have the OBD port,so I would imagine that all the data that VAG-COM can access is stored in the ECU.

Chris.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thats an interesting fault code and not one I have come across before. What I can tell you is If a door switch or bonnet switch is faulty as suggested before it is correct that the indicators will not flash when locking as a kind of warning to say a door is open. However they will still flash when unlocking. So I would rule out doors,boot and bonnet. Also when anything with indicators fails like switch,bulbs or relay no faults are ever stored, because of this I doubt that wiring connections from indicators to conv. unit are at fault. My best guess would be the internal switching of the conv unit or an ignition switch signal. If it were the latter I would expect the central locking not to work from the remote fob.But strange things can happen. I will dig deeper at work tommorrow.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Thats an interesting fault code and not one I have come across before. What I can tell you is If a door switch or bonnet switch is faulty as suggested before it is correct that the indicators will not flash when locking as a kind of warning to say a door is open. However they will still flash when unlocking. So I would rule out doors,boot and bonnet. Also when anything with indicators fails like switch,bulbs or relay no faults are ever stored, because of this I doubt that wiring connections from indicators to conv. unit are at fault. My best guess would be the internal switching of the conv unit or an ignition switch signal. If it were the latter I would expect the central locking not to work from the remote fob.But strange things can happen. I will dig deeper at work tommorrow.
You're slightly contradicting yourself there when you agree that the indicators don't flash as a door open warning,so even if the doors are closed as they are in all the cases we're talking about,and then you say that this rules out the doors,boot and bonnet,how can this be so? They must be faulty to be closed,but tell the CCM that they are open surely?
I was slightly wrong with one of my earlier statements when I said that the only switches that are directly connected to the CCM are the doors,boot and bonnet,as the door switches are actually connected to the module inside each door which then converts that information into CAN-BUS format to send it to the CCM.So the only ACTUAL connection between the CCM and any switches is the boot and bonnet,but it still gets information from the microswitches in each door indirectly telling it if they are closed properly or not.
I am still 99% certain that the cause of this problem is the door switches.If I remotely unlock mine,and then lock again,my indicators flash every single time without fail,and they also flash every time I unlock but don't open a door as it relocks itself,but I've only recently noticed that if the passengers door is opened,the indicators very rarely flash the first time I remotely lock,but always do if if I unlock,and relock again.I know I have a problem with this door that is now a lot better since I stripped and cleaned it,but it still needs some attention.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Thanks Raven, long time no speaky, actually you were here only a week or so ago !

Getting back on track...

The fault is of a switch condition for the turn signals and we may be getting tooo deep in this with other stuff.

I'll have another scour of some wiring diagrams for the ccm (there are over 20 like the one I've posted up for the ccm alone!!)

When I do, hopefully between us, Me, Imagewerx and Raven we'll figure this one out !!

......saying that it has no adverse effect on the car except the indicators don't flash upon locking and unlocking !!

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Gives us something to do with the long winter evenings I guess,I bought a Haynes manual today,and have only quickly looked at the wiring diagrams,so will have a proper look later.

Chris.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Goddammit. I forgot all about this at work today. But I have made a note to check tommorrow. Promise.

In reply to you imagewerx perhaps I didn't make my self clear. As I understand the indicators are neither flashing when unlocking or locking. If the fault was with a door lock the indicators would still flash when unlocking. So it cannot be a door switch. Also to further prove this Ct.p says that his bleeps still work which go hand in hand with flashing indicators.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts