Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all and merry x-mas .. right i want to order a vag.com lead off ebay but have never used vag.com so know very little about it .

my problem is i dont know which one to get ... i just want it for fault scanning and clearing .. the car its going to be used on is a

vw bora 2.0 sport 2002 so any links to the right lead or any info on the right lead for me would make me a happy chappy

cheers all

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Are you looking for a genuine ross tech lead or is it one of those nasty copy ones from the united states of hong kong

One will cost you 9.99 the other will be 200-300

Which software will you be using??

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Rather than chancing some dubious stuff off Ebay, I'd pay a moderate sum and buy this one. They also sell the genuine leads, so they have some idea what they're talking about and also offer customer support (something which can be rather hit and miss on Ebay).

However, the genuine lead/software package is futureproof, and I recommend one of them. If you buy a Mk5 (or Mk6) platform car in the future then your cheap lead will be no use. Also, you'll be limited to the old 4.09 version software with the cheap lead, whereas we're up to version 10 at the moment on genuine stuff.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i only want it for scanning and clearing fault codes

dont need it for anything else so it would seem alot of cash getting the ross tech stuff ....which i could be putting to good use else where

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
There's nothing illegal about the cable. You can make your own or buy any cable you choose. The software is the freeware version, so that's okay. If the software is the full version then that's illegal.

·
Registered
338 Posts
hi all and merry x-mas .. right i want to order a vag.com lead off ebay but have never used vag.com so know very little about it .

my problem is i dont know which one to get ... i just want it for fault scanning and clearing .. the car its going to be used on is a

vw bora 2.0 sport 2002 so any links to the right lead or any info on the right lead for me would make me a happy chappy

cheers all
i have one if you want to try it out buddy, let me now if you have not ordered one already.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jazzbluedubber cheers mate but i ordered it last nite so it might be here for weekend[<:eek:)]

but you can show me the ropes on it if you like mate as i'm a total novice never used it before ..??

·
Registered
162 Posts
There's nothing illegal about the cable. You can make your own or buy any cable you choose. The software is the freeware version, so that's okay. If the software is the full version then that's illegal.
You beat me to it.. really bugs me when people talk of illegal cables

·
Registered
425 Posts
Actually, you are not correct. The Firmware in the microprocessor found inside any cable claiming to work with VAG-COM 5XX or higher and/or VCDS has an illegal copy of our firmware which is required to run the full VAG-COM/VCDS software. So, there are illegal copies of our cables.

You are correct about wires designed to work with VAG-COM 409 or for VCDS-Lite. They do not contain proprietary firmware and so they are not illegal. We provide this other alternative to our "so called protected" full priced version, so those on a tight budget have an option. No, we do not have a CAN based shareware or lost cost version, nor do we plan one. The work that goes into making a tool to work on those cars will never be given away for free.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts