Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean, but assuming you DON'T mean the illegal process of clocking the odometer, you can test all of the gauges in the instrument cluster and all the indicator bulbs/LEDs too, as well as the MFA.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is NOT illegal to reduce your odometer reading or increase it.

The car is your property and you can do whatever you wish with it.

However, it is illegal to mislead potential buyers by showing less miles than what the car has actually covered.

I'm sure the facility exists in VAGCOM to do this at a touch of a button, but its probably been disabled to stop fraudulant use.

·
Registered
464 Posts
AFAIK Vag com software cannot be used to roll back mileage on a car - and what reason on gods green earth would anyone have to do that?

Appart from dealers clipping the factory mileage off - and even then I would suggest that is illegal - as they are selling a vehicle with more miles on than the clock says.

After thinking about it for a while, the only reason I can think of is if for some reason you needed to change the instrument cluster in a vehicle and you wish to match the new one to the old one.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You can, actually SET the mileage of a new cluster odometer ONCE and that's the only chance you have to get it right!!

When I said illegal, I meant potentially illegal, of course!

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Jon is exactly right if a dealer changes the clock the dealer only gets one chance at this

There was a program on TV back in the summer about this very thing and there is a company that will do this for you it was on one of them cosumer programs

BTW how do you know your speedo is out

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can only program a cluster when its brand new, and you can only program it "forwards". But theres plenty of people around who "fix" odometers starting from around £50.

The equipment is readily available to do this but costs £1k +

·
Registered
10 Posts
That cant be true as I posted a thread on here once about it

When i first went into the dealer to see the car, there was 13 miles on the clock, upone collecting the car there was 0 miles on the clock

after a thread about it, we came to the following answer

The dealer is allowed by law to turn the clock back ONCE (didnt discuss if it could only be done once) before 60 miles has been clocked up

·
Registered
194 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Mike

That cant be true as I posted a thread on here once about it

When i first went into the dealer to see the car, there was 13 miles on the clock, upone collecting the car there was 0 miles on the clock

after a thread about it, we came to the following answer

The dealer is allowed by law to turn the clock back ONCE (didnt discuss if it could only be done once) before 60 miles has been clocked up
This is slightly different, when the car is under 100 or 400 miles the dealer can reset it to 0 quite easily via the dash IIRC. Not sure how many times they can do this.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
quote:

ive heard that it can be carried out twice, but the car has to be under 100 miles.
This is true but if you're being picky its actually 80 miles. I have done this with each of my mkIV's and was even told how to do it by the dealership (admittedly it was my brother). Thing is it only worked once on my anni.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had heard that it is not very difficult to change the milage with and OBD tool, but the catch is you can only put it forward. If the milage entered is lower than what is on the clock the clock crashes on purpose.

Anybody know if this is true?

·
Registered
13 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo

I had heard that it is not very difficult to change the milage with and OBD tool, but the catch is you can only put it forward. If the milage entered is lower than what is on the clock the clock crashes on purpose.

Anybody know if this is true?
I am interested in this problem too.

I want to buy the VAGCOM software and the OBD Cable. What can I do to the km on my clock with it. forward or backward ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo

if I change the milage forward to 9999999 what happend next ? [:eek:)]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I am looking out for a cheap set of MK4 clocks to 'play' with.

If i get a set, i'll connect them to my car and have a try with the vag-com to see what occurs!

·
Registered
646 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by mh

i think the odo goes to 300,000 and then 0 or something like that
Saw something about this on the tdiclub site, whether its kms or miles dont know.

Faffing on with my vag com it shows the no of kms on the pc. havent tried anything else. Nor do I really want to, I dont work for a hire car company!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by foxy

I am looking out for a cheap set of MK4 clocks to 'play' with.

If i get a set, i'll connect them to my car and have a try with the vag-com to see what occurs!
Foxy,

VW Golf Mk4 clocks

Current bid £1.00

The auction is for a set of Mk4 Golf clocks, the glass on the front has been damaged and I removed it. Also a clip is broken on the bottom of the unit, apart from these points the clocks are in good condition. The mileage shown is 5,349, the speedo goes to 160mph and the rpm to 7k, so I assume it is from a petrol model. The VW part number on the back is IJO 920 925 A

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403914558&category=9889

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.