Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at ebay and the various code readers etc

I plan on keeping this car and was wondering just how useful these are?

seen this one for example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-405-MaxiScan-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-CAN-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-/120666223313?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c184472d1

what I want to be able to do is read the fault codes and reset service lights etc, mines a W plate 1.9 GT TDi

for example at the moment I have an ABS problem, would this unit tell me that I have an ABS fault, that I already know, or would it tell me what sensor is at fault?

thanks for all advice, Im borrowing the money so need to buy the right thing

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, at least it doesnt appear to be a total load of rubbish, thers cheaper ones that appear to give a code and then you have a book to find out what the code is, but Im told that this one tells the code and description on the fault, hence doing away with the need for the book, I would only lose it!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have one of these code readers and it came with the software to change it so you can read the faults on pretty much any make of car. yet to try it on my golf but have found the fault on my wife's focus airbag system. If buying on e-bay look around as the prices vary a bit. I paid £144 delivered for mine and the seller was called autel-direct or something like that

·
Registered
692 Posts
just had a look at your link and it is not the scanner I have got (posted last night from work where e-bay is banned [:(] It is not the one I have, I have the maxi diag which is a bit bigger. Sorry for any confusion.

That one does look ok for a dedicated VAG scanner

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Autel vagscan 405 is great ! Saved me a fortune with a crank sensor and fuel temp sender problem . Well worth the money . Does abs airbags aswell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts