Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

I was looking at golf v6 4mos and you get a lot of car for the money. Can get an early one with leather, Xenons etc for about ?7500- ?8000 and thats 204bhp. Now look at the price of the golf 1.8t and the cost of getting it to that standard, its not that far off.

So whats the V6 like as a car. I know the mpg is slightly lower, (expect about 25mpg round town and low to mid 30s on motorway) but whats its like on the accelaration front etc, is it a lazy type of acceleration vs the 1.8t??

Any views would be gratefully received!

·
Registered
220 Posts
i had the 1.8t be for my v6 i thought it would br a lot quicker then it is it wen u get into like 3rd it fills quick but i love it i think its better then the 1.8t and u got 4wheel drive :) i say if u can afford to buy the v6 then do so as ever one seams to own a 1.8t now thats just my opinion

·
Registered
16 Posts
it's very grunty and pulls well. expect mpg to be more like 17-20 around town. and then there's the heated recaro's..
also, when it's wet, it really sticks to the road.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
V6 is definetly loads of fun. Amazing engine note, instant throttle
response and 4WD.... you won't be dissapointed. Drive one and you will
see!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
put it this way , i realy enjoy every moment in my car

good power through the range , sticks like **** to a blanket, and handles like a dream

i manage 20-25 around town and 32-35 on motorways

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I had a 1.8T loved it, then I owned a V6 4mo I though it felt quicker then my revo'd gti, that may be just me though ( and is a discussion for another day!!) I loved the power delivery and the grip!! I did however, change the rear arb which made things much better.

I now have a GTTDI (i'm doing loads of mile now [:(]) and out of the 2, I would go back to the 4mo without a doubt!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

I must admit the V6 sound does appeal to me...

Well I either do very very short journeys or long ones (30 minutes+) so mpg shouldnt be to much to worry about.

I was wondering if the 4wd system in the V6 was the same in the R32 and S3, ie the Haldex system, becuase i like the look of the controller so i can have some back out fun!![H]

Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got my 4mo in the summer and love it. Great engine note, bags of low rev pull and superb traction in the wet.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I love mine and couldn't imagine driving any other Golf really,
especially for the money. In my opinion I thought mine was a little
'lacking' in standard guise in a few areas, soon sorted that though[;)]
and continue to do so.

The writeup (model profile) in VW Driver (Issue before last) on the V6
4mo was excellent and very very accurate in every way, especially the
owners opinions, definately worth a read if you get a chance.

Definately a stealth bruiser if modded sensibly...........

·
Registered
365 Posts
great car, but then I am biased [:D]

Sort out the springs, dampers and get R32 anti roll bars and it handles very well indeed, 4 wheel drive, and its a V6, remap engine and that will add another few horsies[au]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Again baised [:)]

But try one on the damp roads.....it will have you grinning from ear to ear.

Try and find out the following before buying though:-

The rad fans are working correctly

The window regulators have been replaced

Also try and hook it up to vag com and check the errors listed

mine had a faulty haldex controller and I only found out after I bought it[:'(]. I have replaced the fans and the window regs all in a year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yay, I love my 4Motion aswell.

Look for as high a spec as you can - the leather recaros are fantastic, long journeys pass with little effort and makes it a nice place to sit.

I have factory sports suspension and Santa Monicas and to be honest still wouldn't use the word sporty to describe it. If you drive it through bends then its not a problem but I find it very wallowy and cumbersome when going into a bend off the throttle. R32 kit is next on my list. The Haldex system matched with the V6 is very effective, especially in the wet where I am always very impresed with the capability.

Sometimes it feels nice and quick (mid range motorway accelartaion is effortless), at other times you wish it weighed a bit less.

Best not to mention economy as this is a family show, if you don't like service stations then buy a diesel.

All in all if you want a subtle, easy to use cruiser, with a little added zing to raise a smile then you can't go far wrong with a 4Mo. There are some bargains out there now aswell.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Before I owened my V6, I had an APR tuned 1.8T golf,. My 1.8 felt slightly quicker , but the V6 felt more solid and safe. Even though they both are MKivs they are totally diffrent whilst driving them. Once you have set up the suspension and the ARB's the V6 will give you confidence on twisty roads. Traction is excellent and the ESP is a excellent safety feature too. The V6 gets through the gears quickly (due to the close raito box) you will find getting to 60mph you will have to change upto 3rd gear.... off the mark the V6 is instant and makes an awesome grunt!!! and through the gears the car is effortless.

Day to day driving you will see around 18 - 20mpg on the Motorway you will see at best 33 -34 mpg.

My Advice is to drive the 1.8t then drive the V6 and I know which one you will pick!!![:)]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sort out the springs, dampers and get R32 anti roll bars and it handles very well indeed
Yeah, changing the above does make a huge difference to the car. The leather Recaros are superb if you can find one with this option, mine has Santa Monicas as well so a good spec but the standard suspension is piss-poor. Sort the above and you have R32 handling and traction for a good deal less.

A remapped 1.8T can feel marginally quicker on boost but the V6 is such a lovely sounding engine it will seduce you. As everyone else says the traction in the wet and lack of torque steer/power understeer is quite a shock to those used to powerful front drivers. I don't think they were worth the money new (esp. fully optioned, more than an R32) but they make a sound buy at todays prices.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Should not be telling this but:

The other day a v6 pulled up at the lights with 2 lads in. Obvious boy racers. I thought that I would show them who?s the daddy.

We both hit the gas from the mark, 'it was a duel carriageway, so we got up2 about 70mph, the bugger kept along the side of me all the way.

It had some go in it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Im thinking off putting a pipecross induction kit on my 1.8t.

How much difference will it make?? Will it sound nice?? will it add more sound to my Baileys dump valve?

·
Registered
513 Posts
The only complaint i have about them is they should of had more grunt from standard, 204bhp in a car that weighs 1.5 tons, not gonna really fly.

does pull well in every gear smoothly and you dont feel the speed so that does take it away a bit,

would really like to drive a remapped one to compare with mine, but still think they should have been 230bhp to start.

but anyway yeah go and buy one now![:D]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts