Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting this "new software" installed tomorrow morning. it's a 200 mile round trip so I will let you all know how it feels when I get back.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I got the software installed and all i can say is if you haven't got it yet, go get it it feels great. I noticed it most in 4th gear. The revs were just climbing at an incredible rate and really smoothly. The pull felt steady and constant the whole way through the range. Great. Hopefull it isn't just the ECU relearning. I have the print out, but i don't have a scanner so I will try to take a pic and post it

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is it just the R32 that seems to get these firmware ECU upgrades, or does it apply to all MKIV's? How can you check what version you're currently running using VAG-COM?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't know how to do it on vag come, but usually a cd arrives at the dealers and has a number of updates for different models on it. It's just the R32 that gets it's own special one coz so many people have complained (I think)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Guys I have just heard there is a v. 6464 on its way to sort out the over-sensitive throttle!!!

I have mine booked in on the 17th to get my cruise fitted and the new firmware loaded.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Phoned Hampstead VW yesterday; service bimbo reports no such thing as the 6463 update. Suggests I phone VW UK 0800 711 811 which I do. They confirm it exists and the dealer should have it. Phone Hampstead VW today; service bimbo still reports no such thing as the 6463 update but "checks" but again reports no such thing as the 6463 update. Phone 0800 711 811 to whinge. Get a call from service manager VW Hampstead circa 3 hours later to report that it does exist although not apparently intended for all R32's. It seems to be for those that couldnt take the Version 4 software revision (mine did - worked for a fortnight!!).

Anyway, its in on the 10th to have a go.

Have any of you who have the 6463 previously had the Version 4 successfully installed??

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I had the V4 installed, then I had to get the ecu replace before I got the 6463. before I had the V4 I got the APR trial so I don't know which or what made the ECU need replacing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote: posted by dubzter on 06/08/2004 12:27:35

yeah I had the V4 installed, then I had to get the ecu replace before I got the 6463. <<snip>>

How did you manage to coax a replacement ECU out of VW?

When was your "R" made?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, took it in today. Service manager reports that the 6463 was primarily for those that could not take the version 4. I had the version 4 and computer indicates I have the latest version, so no further upgrade for me [:(]

Dubzter - how did you manage to get a new ECU?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine has just had a new ecu as well, fitted late last week, replaced because my car was having running problems, they upgraded to v4 first to see if this would cure the problems, it didn't, car was improved but didn't cure the misfires, idling to high etc, finally took the ecu out and tested that, showed to be faulty was telling the car it wasn't getting enough voltage, so it would run the engine high to try and charge the battery. All seems to be running fine, no idea which version I am now running, but it is even better than when i took it in for v4.

Had the car from new January 02, but with the changes its like learning to drive it all over again :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote: posted by Nick on 10/08/2004 17:20:37

<<multiple snips>> Mine has just had a new ecu as well, because my car was having running problems, misfires, idling to high etc, finally took the ecu out and tested that, showed to be faulty was telling the car it wasn't getting enough voltage

So that was for a different reason then - not just the hesitancy problem. What I need to know is if I can wangle an ECU replacement and if so, will it fix the problem!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the APR trial might of had something to do with it. I'm not trying to blame APR but I have heard of someone else who had to get thier ecu replaced after the trial

·
Registered
837 Posts
This makes quite interesting reading for me. I had the V4 update several months ago and it solved quite a few power delivery problems. However, for the past 2 months, my R32 has been going downhill and the past 2 weeks has become a bag-o-crap to drive with *VERY* inconsistent power between 2000 and 3500 rpm. I mentionned it to the dealer but the said they could find nothing (no surprise there).

A kind lady removed my wing mirror the other day so I shall be asking about the 6463 and 6464 software updates when the car goes in to the dealers as I am finding the car quite difficult to drive at the mo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got back from stealers. My R was booked in for the software update but they said it's the wrong version for my ECU.

After questioning the tech some more, he said he'd just got off the phone to VW technical, and that there is another update in development. My car is a '53 reg and he said something about the ECU being a CP model ??.

New software should be available early next week... what a complete waste of time.

[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

Ash.

·
Registered
81 Posts
so let me get this right, is there or isn't there a new software to download??? i got the version 4 software downloaded but to be honest it isn't that much of a difference in reaction wise since last![:(]

is this 6463 is the version 4 or is it an upgrade to the v4???

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok here is the timeline.

1. Standard

2. V4 Software

3. V6463 Software

AFAIK there is no more as of yet but just wait.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
the 6463 version is the latest which apperentely will cure all hesitation/flat spot issues...

I'll let you know as my cars in tomorrow for a new ECU and drivers seat (and they have confirmed they will be loading the latest version of software onto the ECU)

J.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts