Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please help me understand what is going on with my V6?

The power delivery appears to be completely "peeky".

From standing hard acceleration can be either slow or normal but generally steady i.e. revs generally gather pace as you would expect.

If I am driving the car in 3rd for example with about 3000 revs on the clock and then put my foot down (right down) the car does not respond instantly it starts to accelerate slowly then sort of grumble (best description I can give, this is not a noise) then blasts off as normal.

I cannot seem to find any reason, using normal rather than super unleaded seems to make it worse (but this may be all in the mind).

Is this likely just to be the "MAF" sensor that everyone talks about. I have clean with de-greaser (spray) but this does not make any difference.

One other thing is that very very very infrequently I get the traction control light flash when accerating in a high grear and there is no way the car would be losing grip. This has only happened 3 times in 18 months of driving (15000 miles a year)

Any ideas about either question?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
when i got my v6 4mo the power delivery was somewhat sluggish, I have to say after the initial run in period I was abit disappointed.... AMD sorted that out, increased the power, but more importantly smoothed the power delivery and even more importantly sorted out the torque, felt like a different car, only cost ?500 (i think)

PS. I dont work for them either!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I would suggest the MAF only because K&N Filters and Maf's don't tend to get on very well!!!

Stage 1 - including rolling road time, mapping, fitting, 'before/after' plots of power and torque, test drive. Workshop time about 3 hours. Performance gains approx. 20 bhp, 15-20 lbs ft torque. ?350.00

AMD

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right,

Disconnected the MAF and the car runs great, I mean great, no problems at all (expect will not idle). Only problem is I now have the engine light on.

Is this easy to fix with VAGCOM?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
then its your maf. either get a replacement or get it cleaned carefully but do not leave it off as your ecu does not currently know how to regulate the fuel supply as it has no data being fed to it of air density/temperature.

you will shorten the life of your cat! the metal kind [;)]

·
Registered
93 Posts
i had this the other week when i replaced the maf. I just disconnected the battery for 10 min the engine light went out i think it resets the ecu well i dose on a vr6 and it worked for me! i also checked with vag-com after and there was no fault codes might help you

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've had a k&n panel filter on mine for about 9 months with no probs. I've just done some logs of air flow and lambda sensors to send to AmD to check the car was happy before I go for my remap. They said the car is running sweet. I will be a little nervous when it's time to clean and re-oil the k&n though.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Quote: posted by MadMatt on 08/02/2005 20:41:02

Did this affect your Radio etc? Or are the radios uncoded?

Radio should be fine aslong as it's installed in the same vehicle. I've had my battery disconnected for a long time and the radio has been fine. It starts up saying LEARN but when I pressed the button 1 it tuned itself straight back into Radio 1.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, just to end the issue. Battery disconnected and re-connected.

Fault light now gone, radio OK (start in "SAFE" then "LEARN", then pressed 1 and raido OK)

Thanks guys, new MAF sensor being priced tommorow by a FRIEND who works for Audi so should get it cheap.

Looking forward to happy motoring in the future.

·
Registered
93 Posts
get it on exchange don't buy a new one the stealer's wont tell you you can do this well mine didn't seen it on here!! it only cost me ?65 from a mate who works for lookers.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by blackburn on 08/02/2005 21:32:03

get it on exchange don't buy a new one the stealer's wont tell you you can do this well mine didn't seen it on here!! it only cost me ?65 from a mate who works for lookers.

This is very true, Stealers HAVE now started doing a number of parts on exchange basis. The MAF is icluded because of the frequent problems. Just to mention aswell... there isnt any actual proven link between the MAF failure and fitting induction systems to your cars... they just seem to fail anyway!!![:eek:)]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have to agree Evil, I would say that I have heard enough people without induction kits complain about failing MAF's.

As a good point I did ring the local dealer (Huddersfield) and the offered me the exchange price straight away, did not even need to ask. Still think I may be able to get it cheaper though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts