Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchase of a V6 4 Motion for mainly local driving i.e. back & forward to work which is max 10miles there and back, so most of my driving would be short runs.

What kind of average mpg could I expect from a 4 motion ?.

Also any common ailments running one ?.

Thanks for any replies

Colin

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Well first you will need to have a word in the ear of the BOSS MAN at shell and see if you can become chairman[;)]

i think you know where this is going??

i get an avrage town MPG of 12-16

motorway MPG 23-30 BEST WAS 34MPG

but driving like an old dear

LOL

Andy

·
Registered
118 Posts
I get about 26 around town, 30 through the countryside and 33/4 on a motorway but that's definitely driving "carefully".

If I'm "making progress" it goes down to about 25 cross country and about 28 on a motorway.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I get about 26 around town, 30 through the countryside and 33/4 on a motorway but that's definitely driving "carefully".

If I'm "making progress" it goes down to about 25 cross country and about 28 on a motorway.
26 AOUND TOWN!!!!!!!! so who have you paid to get out and PUSH[:p]

Andy

·
Registered
259 Posts
My guess is you'd get around 21mpg on that kind of run. I get around 17 - 20mpg around town (don't forget one guy's "town" is different to another's), and the only way I ever see above 30 is if I drive like a nancy - motorway included. I'm averaging 23 on a tank overall.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Common ailments? MAF, coilpack, radiator fans, window clips and so on. Do some searching on here and you'll find out loads.

Common problems driving the car: it sounds so bloody good that you end up flooring it everywhere; traction from junctions is so good, wet or dry, that other drivers don't see you coming, the engine's so quiet/smooth you don't know it's running at idle; did I mention the sound?

Can't see how I'll ever have another 2WD or 4-cylinder car after this.

Martyn

2000 Bora 4mo

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Well i got 1 of the 2 things LOL

i got the sound but only 2 wheels [:^)] but i dont hold that against her[;)]

OH and as you said THE SOUND (andy licks lips)

a real wolf in sheeps clothing

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

have a test drive and then you'll just forget about the fuel economy.Personally , i think it's no worse than my old vento vr6 (26-30mpg on my 9 miles into work , 50 - 60mph ). Worst of 15 but that was stuck in traffic for 25mins and getting over 35 on a run 'aint too hard either.I had nearly got so fed up with driving until i bought the 4mo last year. Now i look forward to every journey. As has been mentioned , it sounds brilliant. Very smooth and refined for when you just want to cruise and when you open it up there's plenty power and grip too.It's no sports car though, as it is maybe a little soft in standard trim. Run it on shell v power too.Shame VW dont do a v6 mk5 version (apart from the r32).Replaced the fans and anti-roll bar bushes, common problems.

Stu

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to me on the above subject, it's much appreciated.

So most people like them then ?.

thanks

Colin

·
Registered
829 Posts
You'll probably average 20-25mpg on a commute depending on how much stop start traffic you encounter. Worst tank average I've had is about 22mpg and the best is about 33mpg (long motorway cruise). It's not hard to get 30mpg on a motorway run even at 80ish. My overall consumption average whilst owning the car is 26mpg.

I don't think there are many common faults that affect the 4Mo in particular and aren't general Mk4 problems. Have a look at the fan problem sticky so you know what you've looking for when you look at buying. I had mine replaced under warranty and they've been fine since. Coilpacks can also go, and rear anti roll bar bushes have a tendency to wear and squeak.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love my 4Mo and find excuses to take it out for a blast across the Salisbury Plains at night about 3 times a week.

I just ignore the fuel economy.

As above really, take a drive in one and you should be hooked. The noise it makes is great, the power's so smooth and it can really get a move on when you need it to.

I'm in Wiltshire if you're close and want to come out in one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alg,

I would love to take you up on your offer of taking me out in yours, but unfortunately I am in Prestwick in South West Scotland, but thanks for the offer.

Colin

·
Registered
829 Posts
The only GAS going in my car is N2O[H]
Andy, have you reinforced any engine components to run Nos? How much do you use and how are you injecting it? Are you using an off the shelf kit?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
It is a HOLLY USA NOS KIT and is for 6 cylinder EFI engines

it is a 100BHP nozel and works fine direct into the air intake[Y]

i will think to be steping it down to 75BHP but only because the 100 makes the wheels spin in 4th[:O] and i would like some tyres left

no components are reinforced apart from a new intake manifold i distroyed[:p] when it back fired LOL and blew it apart!!!

that now has an R32 head with R32 intake manifold with 3" TB and a BLOWOFF valve from a gas conversion kit to stop it blowing back again

apart from that all is standard.

Andy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts