Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

On my way to work this morning, running late (as usual), I overtook a silver Mitsubishi Evo FQ300 on the A41. He seemed to take this as an opportunity to show me what an FQ300 can do, and shot after me. The road was clear, so I booted it and I was completely and utterly flabberghasted at the result. He couldn't catch me!

He was about three car lengths behind me all the way up to about 135, when he gave up and slowed down again. I know you guys will give the 'He wasn't trying' argument, but, seriously - if doing well over twice the speed limit isn't 'trying', then I don't know what is!

I don't know a great deal about Mitsubishi's, but surely I should have been trounced, or does the Evo not have a great top-end? I know it's insanely quick 0-60, but it doesn't seem to accellerate all that quickly once it's over a ton?

Gave me a good wide grin on my face this morning, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Seriously I think he was just a sensible racer not prepared to risk life and limb, also many evo drivers wont race as they know there car is faster.

I have a V6 aswell and though its no slouch the EVO will mince us, it is in a different leaugue, it is possible he ran out of puff at 135 but that is more down to gearing than power some modded scoobys and evos have gear ratios that are that low geared that 120 can be there top speed.

sorry to have ruined your bombfire.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Only going to say the obvious.......apart from it was a nice happy thought for you to start your day[;)]

...the 4 motion at any point in the complete performance range vs FQ300 is simply no contest, no excuses, no further comment required[:I]

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not sure about the 3oobhp but my cousin has a EVO8 340bhp and ive driven that and a remapped v6 and there is no comparison. So i agree with the rest of the guys!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just as a point to note (and this suprised me) that in a Yank test of the R32 v EVO 8 v STi, the R32 thrashes the others from 50-70 in top gear (almost half the time) so the above is not totally daft.

Obviously in 0-60 and 0-100 the R32 is annihilated but it shows that the Jap cars aren't totally invincible (just nearly!).

Vey keen to try an EVO FQ300 or FQ340 just for fun!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ratty - Big difference between an FQ340 and a standard Evo though - Over 60bhp!

Not a lot would get near an FQ340 this side of a 911 Turbo.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
just a thought but might it have been the lower FQ260 (I THINK) ?

might have re-badged it as the 300

i know that in my car i couldnt keep with my mates 300bhp scoody sti RA

and i was neck and neck with an R32 the night before

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it was definately badged as an FQ300. I'm as confused as the rest of you. He definately wanted a race, I didn't instigate it - I only overtook him cause I was running late! If he was trying to make a point to show me how fast his car was then why didn't he just blitz past me? If the car is *that* much quicker? This was on a very straight, slightly downhill road. No twists, no turns. It was a straight race starting at about 70mph and ending at 135. Perhaps, as someone said, his gearing was setup for quick 0-60s, or perhaps he got his gearing all wrong, or. and I resign myself to the fact this is the most likely - perhaps he just wasn't really trying. [:D]

Oh well, made for an entertaining run into work this morning!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Maybe it was HEAT SOAK!!

Or limp mode.

Or maybe his enormous big rear wing (knob extension) was set with too much gurney, slowing him down?

More likely he was a rice burner loving big girls blouse, with no wedding tackle!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I had a play with an evo last week and my god i got completely pi55ed over, I spoke to the guy and all he was running is a decat and rear exhaust box. That was an Evo7 BTW. Before anyone starts i knew from the beginning i had no chance just wanted some fun [:D]

·
Registered
557 Posts
Maybe it was HEAT SOAK!!

Or limp mode.

Or maybe his enormous big rear wing (knob extension) was set with too much gurney, slowing him down?

More likely he was a rice burner loving big girls blouse, with no wedding tackle!

[:D]LMAO

so how much was the NOS kit for your 4Mo?

i bet you are the envy of the Derby and Joan club now!!![:p]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts