Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People I think I have a developing issue.. As you know my motor has only just come back out after pretty much an 8 month stint off road. (has been run round the block in that time)

I am noticing under fairly hard acceleration a noise and feel that I can only describe as a 'dynamo' on a pedal cycle. like a very light vibration which manifests itself in both a feel, and a noise.

Its very very feint, but I have4 noticed nonetheless... any ideas? Is my gearbox going to die, or my haldex diff? or is it something that wont give me a coronary!!!

For info car has done 61K has a full vw service history, and im sure had the haldex oil changed at 40K.

Please help...prevention better than cure methinks!!!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im experiencing a similar problem, but also have 5 more problems with the drive train to add to it.

Could there be a problem with the transfer from the tranfer box to the rear diff as when you accelerate hard the engine will move causing the prop shaft to missalign.

Im toying with the idea of having the whole drivetrain replaced or refurbished?????????????????!!!!!!!!
hmm, thats possible isnt it.... I have a powerflex dogbone to fit soon, that should tighten things up a little I suppose but probably aint gonna solve my problem. Like I say, its very light at the mo and has only been noticable over the last couple of days. will get it on the ramps and have a good look around.... anybody else got any viewpoints? God kknows how much its gonna cost ya to get the whole drivetrain refurbed!!!![:(][:O]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The noise like a whine, is it speed related? does it carry on when you
dip the clutch and coast, if so it most probably a wheel bearing.

If its whine that is as you say under hard acceleration it sound like
diff whine, but that wouldnt explain the vibration, when was the haldex
serviced?

also the brakes havent bound up have they?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The noise like a whine, is it speed related? does it carry on when you dip the clutch and coast, ----- Nope just when accelerating if so it most probably a wheel bearing.

If its whine that is as you say under hard acceleration it sound like diff whine, but that wouldnt explain the vibration., when was the haldex serviced? haldex done at 40K

also the brakes havent bound up have they? - Nope
diff whine... how'd I make it go away!!!?? service haldex again? It is only above 60 or so mph that I stsrt to notice it, and only if im accelerating hard. Dont read too much into the vibration... it seems part an parcel of the whine... dead difficult to describe... its noticable because 4mo's are normally so, so smooth.[:(]

·
Registered
682 Posts
Flippin 'eck,hope this isnt going to be another V6 component failure thats gonna cost us all a fortune! What with the cooling fans(yes Andy,i have voted![;)]),anti roll bar bushes,window reg's etc!! Please keep us all posted on this one guys,im pretty keen to see how you get on with this. Paul.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yo evil.............

I here a disturbing noise sometimes under acceleration and when im slowing down,

just had an m.o.t and everything was solid no movement anywhere ie bearings,

bushes etc, wont be goin anywhere for a week or so as some tossers nicked my wheels of my car in my garage [:mad:][:mad:][:mad:]

cars due a service 28000 miles so will get haldex oil changed aswell and let you know if it goes away.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yo evil.............

I here a disturbing noise sometimes under acceleration and when im slowing down,

just had an m.o.t and everything was solid no movement anywhere ie bearings,

bushes etc, wont be goin anywhere for a week or so as some tossers nicked my wheels of my car in my garage [:mad:][:mad:][:mad:]

cars due a service 28000 miles so will get haldex oil changed aswell and let you know if it goes away.
This is scary I was gonna pm you cos I have just come back from VW. Mike in the parts dept told me about your plight.... gutted for ya fella, that's grim. Cheeky barstewards arent they, he said you had had two sets of wheels gone? some santa monicas and some others?

sorry to hear it fella... I will have to arrange that visit soon!!! Maybe a little hi-vis patrol on my part will help prevent any further mishap.[:mad:]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cheers for that mate ,the misses said the other day that there was a gang of youths admiring the car last week on a couple of occassions !!!!!!

The boys in blue came round with the magic dust but said they were wearing gloves bye the impressions left so no joy there,ear to the ground at mo proably been nicked to order

Nice to see you have got yours on the road at last...................

when i get it back will have to let you have a go to see if your noise is the same as mine............

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for that mate ,the misses said the other day that there was a gang of youths admiring the car last week on a couple of occassions !!!!!!

The boys in blue came round with the magic dust but said they were wearing gloves bye the impressions left so no joy there,ear to the ground at mo proably been nicked to order

Nice to see you have got yours on the road at last...................

when i get it back will have to let you have a go to see if your noise is the same as mine............
Yeah I definitely wanna try and get to the bottom of the noise ... prevention better than cure and all that. The only positive is they didnt nick your motor... I would deffo add some extra security to the garage of some sort mate... those 4mos are a popular nicked car because they are so stealth. ( If it were allowed id recommend elecrtrifying thegarage door!!!)[:D]

·
Registered
107 Posts
when you pop round dont knock on the garage door [:D]

sorry i didnt get back to you on the valances but the price was ridiculous ?300+

i have added an extra lock to the back door and will be adding more soon

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when you pop round dont knock on the garage door [:D]

sorry i didnt get back to you on the valances but the price was ridiculous ?300+

i have added an extra lock to the back door and will be adding more soon

Yeah, I had thought so too!! that's why I done all the smoothing myself. Gonna get **** to do the spraying and laquering, that's it, will do all the filling, and high build primer prep myself. He let me prep my front bumper the other week at his, and then sprayed it up for me.[:D]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like you have been busy,wots the filler for ????

i thought you had to use some sort of special primer and reactor as the paint reacts to the texture ????

when you've finished your's i'll drop mine of for you [:D] to prep.....

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like you have been busy,wots the filler for ????

i thought you had to use some sort of special primer and reactor as the paint reacts to the texture ????

when you've finished your's i'll drop mine of for you [:D] to prep.....
Thats what ya use a mini sander 4... no texture left on this now. High build primer and the filler is for any minor imperfections. after initial sanding. [:D]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts