Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was driving home from my friends house when it felt like the car misfired. It made a horrible clanking noise that I am quite concerned about. It only did it if I put my foot down slightly or if the car was labouring. Its never done it before but it was a really nasty noise. The car had been sat over night was cold. I had to drive extremely lightly home. Once home I had a good look under the bonnet to see nothing out of place. I then took the car around the town and pushed it but it seemed fine nothing odd. I checked the oil cap to see some tiny white speckles but there seemed to be no oil in the header tank so think its just condensation. I have had a new VTDA kit fitted but its been fine for 150 miles and if anything has made an improvement to the drive.

I would not be worried about a slight misfire when cold but it had a real metallic sounding clang! Also it would rev fine with no problem. It felt like the car was pulling back... very hard to describe.

Has anyone had this before or any ideas what you think it could be?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
This sounds VERY MUCH like a problem i had when i was in france driving to NANTES

driving on a warm day then it misfired and then a metallic noise (NOT LOAUD) but loke a bit of metal was hanging down and bouncing off the road

but with this my brake pad light came on[:^)]

i stoped and took the wheel of, had a good look round but could find nothing, EVEN to this day i still have no clue what it was[:mad:]

thing like that really bother me as i would rather find something busted so i know what to fix:::::::::::

Andy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly. Your right its like something bouncing up off the road and hitting the engine. It was nasty and really concerning.

Maybe to do with a mix of engine and drive train fault? No idea though

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
WELL until the local and only SHELL station closed i used the V-POWER

and have done ever since i put the engine in but now i am forced to use that TESCO crap or BP

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I usually run local optimax or something similar. For the first time in ages I used standard Shell fuel. Its done over 100 miles on this tank so don't think its related but you never know. I only asked as you were in France and some of there fuel is meant to be really bad.

How many times have you had this problem?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it wasn't your coil pack? I've been searching and that's the only thing i've found. But still doesn't explain the clanging!

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I have had the coil pack out and give it a good clean but cant find any damage or cracks

i have lookes at a new one but they cost a bomb!!!

and that might not be the problem so COULD be a waste of money.

if i order it and it is still the same then i would be stuck with it as VW will not tke things like that back[:'(]

At the moment it seems to be ok and running well as at our RR day at westec she brought 214 BHP[;)] with a VERY smooth power band

so i am now fitting the 100 BHP NOS kit[6]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it happened again this morning but this time no metallic noise??? started up lumpy as well so really is making me want to have a look at the coil pack. Looks like I'll be out with the torch later, might be worth giving it a good clean and looking for cracks.

214 BHP very nice! What else have you done to the car?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Well apart from only having FWD and an open air filter nothing.

i am in the process of fitting a 100 BHP NOS KIT and soon a stage 2 EIP TURBO[:p]

should give it a kick up the ring[:D]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'll need to get something to stop you from taking off at high speeds! You must just have been lucky with your problem as mine has happened again and lasted longer this time.

I would love to go in one of the turbo v6's... I hope your brakes are BIG

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VERY nice mate! I bet it pulls up quite nicely... I just want mine to run smoothly, stopping is currently the last thing on my mind! Well if i don't need to buy the coil pack then it lets me spend the money on something a lot more fun.

Will probably take the car to a mate that works for Skoda and see if they can have a look. if they find the fault I'll let you know. On another note, do you supply bodykits or am I confusing you?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I do sell the anni kit

and soon the R32 kit

the coil pack is very easy to remove and i have seen here that if there are any cracks then i can be fixed by using a 2 pack resin glue and covering the coil pack with a thin layer to seal it again.

give me a shout as to what he finds out as it could be intersting

Andy

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=647234

COPY from Linked POST

When in heavy rain, water gets into the
exhaust and causes a kind of car 'bronchitis'. The exhausts sounds
relly boomy and it bangs against the floorpan.

I spoke to the dealer
about a year ago and they had no idea what I was on about. On my third
visit I got one of the experienced guys and he admitted it had been
noted on TT's and S3's, but not on the Golf's.

I went back a month ago as it has started raining hard again and the problem is back and I get the stonewall again.

HELP! Anyone else know how I can get this looked at? Anyone else had the problem? I can't believe my car is the only one....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry Andymac can't help with your problem and havent experienced it but might it just be an intermittant misfire caused by the coilpack and making pops and farts down the exhaust?

I'd like to say that when I picked my 4Mo up it used to misfire on start up (and until warm) after a rainy/misty night. I sprayed wd40 all over the coilpack and it went away. It did return again though.

This may be coincidence but since I removed my airbox etc to put a cone filter on the end of the induction pipe it hasn't missed a beat no matter what the weather's doing. Absolutely no missing. Could there be a link. They're close, but not that close so as water may fall off the airbox onto a particular part of the coil pack?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Andymac you've hit the nail on the head with the type of noise. It was not a misfire, it was definately a metal clang or thud hitting the underside of the car. What problem did they admit to with the S3 and TT? I know its not great to have water up your exhaust but how can heavy rain do that much? I had my car pressure washed recently, it could be linked to that.

To Alg I think your air box removal cure is a coincedence. I just removed my airbox 100 miles ago and now the problem has started. i agree with the coil pack causing the misfire so I will have a look at that later. This morning it was really lumpy until it warmed up

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Some people have said its also a problem with wet weather and the proximity of the driveshaft and the stainless exhaust!!!

if its an early v6 it will have the same coilpack as a VR6 dont waste ?200 on a new one just do this http://chris.quietlife.net/passat/coilpack.html

it worked for more than 30k on mine, some people on vwvortex have done 100k plus on repaired packs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts