Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue that is bugging me. When I press the throttle the engine kind of coughs once and then starts to rev. If I back off the throttle at say 4000 rpm and then come back on the throttle again it does the same, coughs and then picks up again.

Its only momentary, but its very annoying and it means the throttle response is not as good as it should be.

The car is 12 months old, only done 10,000 miles and has been serviced recently (only an oil change).

Any suggestions?[?]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy, I will do just that.

I note you have done a few mods to your car. Having only owned this vehicle for 10 days I am already thinking of mods, especially suspension as the stock handling is pretty average (IMO). Can I ask what you think of the R32 ARB's and the coilovers you have fitted. My only concern here is that my wife (now 4 months preganant) will end up with the car in about 9 months time and I didn't want the car to be too harsh a ride once modified (don't want to wake the baby up bouncing around in the back[:(])

You have also done some mods to the induction, what impact has this had on the power and its delivery?

PS: Your taste in vehicle is fantastic... me: 5 door Diamond Black, Stanta Monicas, Recaros, Black Leather, Xenons, Delta Stereo, Cruise etc...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm running stock dampers at the moment with R32 arb's and the ride is fine with much improved handling! Our latest addition doesn't bounce around at all, the ride is still very confortable with little roll in the corners, although since the remap my other half won't drive the car anyway [:D] as she feels "it's too fast"[?]

P.S. Can my 4mo join in, with Diamond Black, Black leather, Cruise, Xenons etc?[:)] plus a bit more......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see we're starting a 4mo appreciation society here esp when in black etc...

So, have you only had the ARB's done? What remap, AMD?

Any more black 4mo's out there?[:)]

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have an 02 bora 4motion in black if that counts!

AS per your R32 ARB's how much did it cost for the bar, and bushes and any other parts required?

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm here!!

Diamond black, sports sus (factory fit) santas, leather, zenon, cruise, superchip, carbonio CAI on route as we speak.

Mines a 03 plate and I've had it for about 18 months. If you see my post in 'tuning' yesterday, you'll see that I'm having preformance inconsistency problems. At the moment its flying tho[:)]

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry, only red, but still a v6 4mo....

Check out my reply to Sven on the tuning forum. I've dumped a load of info there for him on tuning and handling upgrades.

As you'll see in the full reply, i only had the springs changed on mine and it has made a world of difference to the car. Bye bye body roll and wallow, hello improved cornering and sharper steering.

See the tuning forum for full reply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wahey... loads of v6'ers coming out of the ether. Halloooo!

It seems to me that there is a certain amount of acceptance regarding the 2.8 V6 in that neither VW have put their finger on resolving performance issues and/or tuning sometimes doesn't sort out. Sven and putoline you have answered many of the things that I wanted to know about the V6 and i tend to agree the standard 204 bhp, that I am running on, can one day be fine, next day disappointing... it's probably best I continue this on the Tuning part of the Forum as it is more relevant to that. However,

All V6's join in!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote: posted by TalkTorque on 12/10/2004 12:43:43

I can see we're starting a 4mo appreciation society here esp when in black etc...

So, have you only had the ARB's done? What remap, AMD?

Any more black 4mo's out there?[:)]

Yes, only the ARB's done (genuine stock R32 ones fitted) the parts were about 150 quid and totally transforms the handling. My rear dampers had been changed under warranty very recently so I kept them, however as soon as I can afford it/they show signs of problems I'll replace the dampers with koni's or eibach pro's etc. I have the Eibach pro springs (-35mm) already, which I'm really happy with.

The remap is AmD and IMHO is well worth the money (400 all in on a GB), irons out any flatspots and makes the engine more lively throughout the whole rev range, highly recommended, at a cost of 1-2mpg though, never mind though!

Is the correct colour Diamond Black or Black Magic?[;)]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black Magic! I would even go as far to say its my "Black Magic Woman".

So, thats 400 for the remap + 150 for the arbs... how much for the springs?

Did you fit them yourself?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I paid ?160 for the eibach springs from Halfrauds. They drop the car 30mm and stiffen it up considerably.

You MUST have the car laser aligned once you've had any new suspension parts fitted. VW charge ?100 for laser alignment.

I got a mate at a local garage to fit the springs and do the laser alignment for ?80 all in.

They car corners like a muthaf ucka now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is anyone running on the 'sports suspension' that is a factory fit with santas?

The 17inch santas and sports suspension was one of the optioned I had on my V6 from new - just wondering what the opinion is on this sus?

(the sports sus issue was raised here about 12months ago - there were many differences of opinion as to whether the 4motion actually got the sports sus, with the santas, due to fitting problems on 4wd models - I'm pretty sure that the newer V6 were fitted with sports sus, if built to order)

Anyone have any comparisions between stock suspension,factory fit 'Sports suspension' and an eibach springs upgrade.

I can't comment on anything other the the factory fit sports sus, but in my opinion its not that clever - its pretty firm on the straight, but this isn't paid back in cornering, during which quite a bit of body roll is experienced. More than I expected.

I don't beleive that my sus sits any lower than stock sus - I assume that the eibach sus effectly just lowers the centre of gravity, thus resisting body roll a little more...?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did the ARB's first and it made a HUGE difference. But i went for the Bilstien coilovers as when i have 430+++ BHP i am going to need a stiff ride to put the power down

In saying that its a nice supple ride untill you push it and it stiffens up a treat!!

As far as the induction kit goes, it make a really really nice noise and make it pull a touch better at top end. I would do it just for the noise it gives :) :) :)

PS. Its a good car choice. I looked long and hard for it!! :}

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went to the VW dealers in Stratford on Avon today with the "coughing" problem and was informed this is normal. He explained it purely as the throttle being opened quickly and the first gasp of air being sucked in. The technician also agreed it does nothing for throttle response when he drove it with me, but said they are all like this... can anyone confirm this... not that I disbelieve him. Example: fire up the engine, turn everything else off, open the windows (assuming it not raining, again) and blip the throttle... do you get a kind of cough and then it revs? If so I guess were all in the same boat.

In reply to you Sven; on buying the car a couple of weeks ago I was informed that all cars with SM wheels came with Sports Sus (factory fitted), therefore I assume I have it and I would agree its not all that clever, rolling in the corners, bouncy on bumps, but comfy on straights. On the advice I've heard a few times now, R32 arbs and Eibach springs sorts it all out beautifully.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote: posted by TalkTorque on 13/10/2004 10:10:33

Black Magic! I would even go as far to say its my "Black Magic Woman".

So, thats 400 for the remap + 150 for the arbs... how much for the springs?

Did you fit them yourself?

I paid 115 for the spring kit from Venom motorsport, yes I did fit them myself, after I had the arb's done I took the car to Amd for Brembos[:D] and had them 4 wheel align it to make sure.

My remap produced 233bhp and 225 lb ft[;)] by the way, more info herehttp://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35502

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote: posted by TalkTorque on 13/10/2004 16:56:11

Example: fire up the engine, turn everything else off, open the windows (assuming it not raining, again) and blip the throttle... do you get a kind of cough and then it revs? If so I guess were all in the same boat.

When I blip the throttle I get a noise that is not unlike a rush of air type sound? There is no hesitancy though.

With regards to the suspension I would do the arb's first and see what the outcome is like. As far as I know the sports suspension is uprated springs only and that is what the Eibachs are. May save yourself a few quid also? The arb difference is pretty amazing to be honest.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Wayne. I am going to book the car in with AMD and get the remap sorted and enquire about the arb's. Cheers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I listened to my motor last night after redaing the above, and i also have a 'rush of air' sound between blipping the throttle and the revs climbing. I wouldn't call it a cough though, more a suction sound.

I would suggest its just the engine sucking in the fuel and air mixture, its a big lump the V6 and will be sucking in a lot of mix pre-rev.

Don't worry about it, i'd suggest its a 'standard' feature and not a problem.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Can I join in even though she's pink? [:I]

I can't stress enough how much of a difference putting the R32 arbs on has made to the handling. I love round-a-bouts. Planning on getting mine to AMD for a remap sometime in the not so distant future. Got a little misfiring problem at the moment though [B)][:(!]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts